Speculation: Offer Sheet for Dougie Hamilton: worth doing?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Hamilton is very talented, but i definitely see the Wings headed towards the lottery in a few years, so i wouldn't be willing to give up four 1st round picks.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If we tie Boston's hands by offering him a hefty but matchable contract, who is going to help Boston out of that hole?

Teams will know they are trying to get rid of their overpaid and bloated deals. Bruins will have to do something like Kelly for future considerations or Kelly + 5th for 7th, etc.

Chiarelli might help them by giving Boston a good prospect or two for Lucic or something, I don't know. I can't really see how Boston could easily get themselves out of a situation where they're paying Hamilton ~$6-7M

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Not sure myself, trying to figure out the answer so we know for sure.

I don't think they did change that aspect of offer sheets. If the contract is 5 years or less, you look at the AAV of the contract. If the term is 6 or 7 years, you divide total money by 5 years to get the new AAV for calculating compensation.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He would be worth the contract, But i wouldnt do it

Otherwise Boston is just gonna get rid of one of our players offer some stupid sheet for him.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hamilton is very talented, but i definitely see the Wings headed towards the lottery in a few years, so i wouldn't be willing to give up four 1st round picks.

If we get Hamilton, we wont be getting any top 5 picks. Especially for 2 years

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
If we tie Boston's hands by offering him a hefty but matchable contract, who is going to help Boston out of that hole?

Teams will know they are trying to get rid of their overpaid and bloated deals. Bruins will have to do something like Kelly for future considerations or Kelly + 5th for 7th, etc.

Chiarelli might help them by giving Boston a good prospect or two for Lucic or something, I don't know. I can't really see how Boston could easily get themselves out of a situation where they're paying Hamilton ~$6-7M

It isn't just helping Boston. You are also helping yourselves. Do you really think teams won't trade for a guy like Lucic because it helps Boston? I can't stand the guy and don't want him on the Wings, but there would easily be teams offering value for him.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It isn't just helping Boston. You are also helping yourselves. Do you really think teams won't trade for a guy like Lucic because it helps Boston? I can't stand the guy and don't want him on the Wings, but there would easily be teams offering value for him.

Guys like Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand? Sure, yeah I could see teams giving Boston fair value and helping them out by taking on those contracts and giving back cheap RFA players and prospects or w/e, but then Boston loses one of their few top 6 forwards moving forward. Still not exactly an "ideal" situation for Boston there.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
When I mentioned that Edmonton example , that is what I meant

sorry if I was unclear

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Guys like Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand? Sure, yeah I could see teams giving Boston fair value and helping them out by taking on those contracts and giving back cheap RFA players and prospects or w/e, but then Boston loses one of their few top 6 forwards moving forward. Still not exactly an "ideal" situation for Boston there.

right they are not in an ideal situation, but losing Hamilton is the worst outcome. You can at least go for the least bad outcome instead of the worst.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Worst comes to worst, we make them pay more than they want to for him. So I am all for it, but I don't think Holland is one to rustle feathers.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
right they are not in an ideal situation, but losing Hamilton is the worst outcome. You can at least go for the least bad outcome instead of the worst.

I don't disagree, just pointing out how vulnerable Boston is in general currently and how badly they could be cornered if an offersheet ranging from decent to "holy **** that is steep" comes Hamilton's way

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Worst comes to worst, we make them pay more than they want to for him. So I am all for it, but I don't think Holland is one to rustle feathers.

This is my read on the situation too

It is in nice to dream (Hamilton would go a long way in filling a team need) but Holland will just continue to play nice and amass organizational depth

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
The same logic still applies to this case though. With the proposed offer sheet, Boston either looses Hamilton for very little value or keeps him and tries to move another asset for better value. Do you not think Boston could get a first for Lucic? Different teams would want different pieces and they wouldn't have to move everyone. Whichever way you slice it, you lose less value than you would letting Hamilton walk for little return.

Boston loses Hamilton for a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. That's little value??? That and they'd have the biggest impending piece of their cap headache out of the way.
Look at their situation (this is why Chiarelli was fired): they've got what, 10mil to fill 8 roster spots? So 6.5mil to Hamilton would screw them, and it would be a massive fire-sale that everyone and their mother knows about. Few teams will have cap or roster space to take on some of their bigger pieces like a Chara or Lucic (he'd still be moved, it'll be for a fraction of the value otherwise). Boston has to move some pieces no matter what, but they'd probably much more prefer to do it on something closer to their own terms

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
7.3M x 5yrs would be hard to match and only nets BOS a 1st + 2nd + 3rd ..

Good players as rentals return more than this.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Boston loses Hamilton for a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. That's little value??? That and they'd have the biggest impending piece of their cap headache out of the way.
Look at their situation (this is why Chiarelli was fired): they've got what, 10mil to fill 8 roster spots? So 6.5mil to Hamilton would screw them, and it would be a massive fire-sale that everyone and their mother knows about. Few teams will have cap or roster space to take on some of their bigger pieces like a Chara or Lucic (he'd still be moved, it'll be for a fraction of the value otherwise). Boston has to move some pieces no matter what, but they'd probably much more prefer to do it on something closer to their own terms

You would probably be hard pressed to get Hamilton to sign that offersheet that could screw his team like that though knowing he might still be a part of that team.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Would you trade say Pick one of AA/Pulk/Jurco + pick one of Quellete/Marhcenko/Sproul + 2015 2nd or 2016 1st?

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
You would probably be hard pressed to get Hamilton to sign that offersheet that could screw his team like that though knowing he might still be a part of that team.

If he's already supposedly looking to make Doughty money, then I'd have to believe he's not thinking that far ahead. Arbitration is also an option, but at least with the offer sheet option there'd be compensation available.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Would you trade say Pick one of AA/Pulk/Jurco + pick one of Quellete/Marhcenko/Sproul + 2015 2nd or 2016 1st?

For Hamilton? without a doubt. Even if you make it the most valuable pieces and offer Jurco, Ouellet and say the 2015 1st, Boston would still decline. Only way this works is if they decide to threaten the Wings that they will match the offer if they do not accept this trade.

Larkinarounddacorner

Jun 1, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
We can't offer sheet him without giving up 4 first rounders. To sign someone to an offer sheet you have to have possetion of your own draft picks and if we give him anything less than the amount for 4 first rounders we would have to own our 3rd rounder which we don't have for next year

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The same logic still applies to this case though. With the proposed offer sheet, Boston either looses Hamilton for very little value or keeps him and tries to move another asset for better value. Do you not think Boston could get a first for Lucic? Different teams would want different pieces and they wouldn't have to move everyone. Whichever way you slice it, you lose less value than you would letting Hamilton walk for little return.

Yeah, I don't think Boston hesitates to match and then moves a guy like Ericsson, who hasn't really fit with them, or Lucic who they may not want to give a raise to on his next contract anyway. Or maybe they deal Chara. Boston's not even that bad against the cap right now. They have around $63m committed and Hamilton and Soderberg are the only big guys they need to re-sign.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Yeah, I don't think Boston hesitates to match and then moves a guy like Ericsson, who hasn't really fit with them, or Lucic who they may not want to give a raise to on his next contract anyway. Or maybe they deal Chara. Boston's not even that bad against the cap right now. They have around $63m committed and Hamilton and Soderberg are the only big guys they need to re-sign.

You're forgetting the fact that they still have to fill out their roster. Signing Hamilton for 6.5 would force them to do more than just move Eriksson. With Eriksson completely gone they'd still have only about 8mil for 8 roster spots-- all their UFAs including Soderberg are as good as gone, and there'd be little hope for being able to keep Lucic once his contract expires. The knock-on effect would impact more than just a single player on their roster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we didn't go after Subban then there's no way we go after Hamilton.

Montreal had +20million in cap space, when they signed Subban. There was no reason for offer-sheeting. Everyone would know they would match.

But Boston is in deep cap trouble. They have only 8 million (this includes Savard LTIR-space) in cap space and 9 guys unsigned from full 23-man roster. 9 unsigned guys will take at least 5 million in minimum salaries and not even thinking some higher valued contracts. They could carry 8 mimimums and one under 5 million contract with current roster. But their prospects who would take those roster spots have automatic ELCs with higher caphits. So in reality, they have space for one 4M contract + for own kids.

I could believe, someone like Jim Nill will steal great players in a sure-win trade to help them with their cap space.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who on the Bruins is worth keeping over Hamilton if you can get him at 6.5 million for 5 years? Why not keep Hamilton and trade Seidenberg? Kelly? Smith? Eriksson? even guys like Marchand and Lucic you move before letting Hamilton go.

Kelly should be first to go when unloading salaries. Old bottom6 guy earning 3M. And 1-year contracts have been easiest dump so far in the market.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Hamilton is 22 years old. If he gets offer-sheeted for anything under 4 first rounders worth of compensation, Boston matches and gets rid of some of its expensive but tradeable players. I think it would take over $7.5M and the offering team would have to be one with a murky future (like us) so Boston could feel good about where some of those first rounders will fall.

The idea of offer-sheeting him for $6.5M is a joke. Boston easily matches that. Its not like Lucic's name wasn't in the rumor mill this past off-season, and some mouth-breather like Chiarelli or Burke would easily snap up the full cost of Lucic for a trade discount if it came to that.

And its not like Holland would be the GM to have the balls to tag Hamilton either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad