Speculation: Offer Sheet for Dougie Hamilton: worth doing?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think the only way we get Eriksson is if Franzen goes on LTIR

Could you imagine Franzen/Zetterberg/Eriksson though?

Team Sweden Gold Medal team reunited!

But Eriksson still has a few good years, I'd wager. Enough to bridge the gap between the youth movement and the veterans. I'm all for turning the page and infusing the kids, but you still need to surround them with talent unless you're going for that top 5 draft pick.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Offer sheets are not going to work on players like Hammilton and Saad unless they are max amount offers and that is a steep steep price to pay for one player without even considering the retalitory offersheets that will come back some day.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Offer sheets are not going to work on players like Hammilton and Saad unless they are max amount offers and that is a steep steep price to pay for one player without even considering the retalitory offersheets that will come back some day.

Personally I believe the Retaliatory aspect is over blown. Bear with me, Im going hypothetical with this so don't worry about the salaries and names too much. Im going to use Nyquist and Hamilton as an example.

Lets say we sign Dougie to 7.305 million dollar offer sheet. Bruins decide they can't afford that/Dougie isnt worth that. They take the two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.
Now out of spite the Bruins turn around and offer Nyquist 5.477. We let him walk and take Boston's 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

We effectively traded a 1st and Nyquist for Hamilton. Is Boston's retaliation that big of a deal? Would you guys be okay with this type of swap?

Even if it doesn't make perfect sense with these two players and the salaries I picked, this example shows that the retaliatory threat can be circumvented (to some extent).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Personally I believe the Retaliatory aspect is over blown. Bear with me, Im going hypothetical with this so don't worry about the salaries and names too much. Im going to use Nyquist and Hamilton as an example.

Lets say we sign Dougie to 7.305 million dollar offer sheet. Bruins decide they can't afford that/Dougie isnt worth that. They take the two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.
Now out of spite the Bruins turn around and offer Nyquist 5.477. We let him walk and take Boston's 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

We effectively traded a 1st and Nyquist for Hamilton. Is Boston's retaliation that big of a deal? Would you guys be okay with this type of swap?

Even if it doesn't make perfect sense with these two players and the salaries I picked, this example shows that the retaliatory threat can be circumvented (to some extent).

It's less being scared of a retaliatory sheet than it is a poison pill. For the other team to not match, the deal has to make no financial or term sense. You're not going to sign away a #1D for anything approaching reasonable. Philly structured the deal for Weber to the point it was almost unmatchable for Nashville.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

If we lost Nyquist for Hamilton i would be perfectly ok with that, I'd be jumping up and down actually cause we got Hamilton. Your not gonna get a top pair dman without paying top dollar. and it's not like we have any true young elite dmen coming up, Ouellet is our best one, but theres a slim chance of him being elite, His best bet is a Kronner a 1b, amazing on the 2nd pair.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's less being scared of a retaliatory sheet than it is a poison pill. For the other team to not match, the deal has to make no financial or term sense. You're not going to sign away a #1D for anything approaching reasonable. Philly structured the deal for Weber to the point it was almost unmatchable for Nashville.

You can't structure deals like that anymore, though. That's why Weber went hard to get an offer sheet before the lockout and new CBA was going to happen. The writing was on the wall so he pushed to get his massive frontloaded deal that isn't possible now.

He knew Nashville wouldn't pony up that cash unless he forced their hand. And if they didn't pony up, oh well, he'd go to team of his choice.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
If Holland does sign Hamilton to an offer sheet, it will clearly be a retaliation to the Lapointe contract, 15 years in the making. :sarcasm:

Anchor Town*

I guess some don't realize that offer sheets can be used to make the other team sign their guy at a higher cap rate than they had originally intended. You don't even need to get the guy yourself to make offer sheeting a success.

It's not always about getting the guy, it's about getting the other guys to overpay.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I guess some don't realize that offer sheets can be used to make the other team sign their guy at a higher cap rate than they had originally intended. You don't even need to get the guy yourself to make offer sheeting a success.

It's not always about getting the guy, it's about getting the other guys to overpay.

The player still has to want to sign with your club or play hardball with their current team. Not everybody wants to be the poison pill to their franchise for short term financial gain.

I'm not saying don't do it or anything, but people (not you) make it sound like it's as easy as making and offer and calling it a day. The player still has to agree and sign the dotted line, consequences and all.

My favorite offer sheet remains Dustin Penner which created a very entertaining feud.

Anchor Town*

The player still has to want to sign with your club or play hardball with their current team. Not everybody wants to be the poison pill to their franchise for short term financial gain.

I'm not saying don't do it or anything, but people (not you) make it sound like it's as easy as making and offer and calling it a day. The player still has to agree and sign the dotted line, consequences and all.

My favorite offer sheet remains Dustin Penner which created a very entertaining feud.

The reason the player is even available to offer sheet is because he has not been able to come to terms with his current team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The reason the player is even available to offer sheet is because he has not been able to come to terms with his current team.

While technically true, it seems you missed the spirit or essence of what I was trying to say.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
You can't structure deals like that anymore, though. That's why Weber went hard to get an offer sheet before the lockout and new CBA was going to happen. The writing was on the wall so he pushed to get his massive frontloaded deal that isn't possible now.

He knew Nashville wouldn't pony up that cash unless he forced their hand. And if they didn't pony up, oh well, he'd go to team of his choice.

Pretty much this... We'd have to pretty much offer a ridiculous type of deal for Boston not to match. In other words, shooting ourselves in the foot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Sure, But if your doing it just to ******* with them then Theyre gonna ******* with you

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Sure, But if your doing it just to ******* with them then Theyre gonna ******* with you

Agreed.

There is a reason an offer sheet isn't done. Its just not that fun to say...
"we got nothing, except screwed their cap a bit".

The bruins have a lack of scoring wingers...

Um thats the only thing we have. So... What if they start offering 5Mil to Nyquist on an offer sheet....

Ya, we just lost that war with the bruins. I don't want to get into a war with any team that can just RUIN our books.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yup. This is why offer sheets don't work.

Not getting the player doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work. If you make a team pay more for someone than they would normally, that has it's advantages. Especially a team like Boston that is in cap trouble, and a division rival.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Not getting the player doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work. If you make a team pay more for someone than they would normally, that has it's advantages. Especially a team like Boston that is in cap trouble, and a division rival.

Yeah, but teams won't do that due to the worry of burning bridges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->