Offer Sheet Barzal?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Tough choice.

Barzal is a game breaking forward. He's had 1 really good season, 1 ok season and his current season is pretty good.

He would likely cost 11 mill for an offer sheet over 7 years, so 4 1st rounders. That's all rather expensive. Gotta ask yourself if you'd trade Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Sergachev for him. Then again, would the team finish out of playoffs 3 out if 4 years.

If the habs did offer sheet him and get him, Domi is gone if he isn't already. Say he brings back Anderson and either picks, or nothing else to keep things simple. Habs only have Mete to sign who's of any significance and he's not really significant. With 20.9 mill (not including Alzner being sent down freeing up around 1 mill) Montreal can sign Barzal (11) and Anderson (6.5, probably less, but just going high) and still have around 1 (2) mill for any callups.

I personally would also trade one of the bottom.6 guys (Lehkonen, Byron) for another player with size. Just to make sure we have some people incase people try to take liberties with Barzal.

Now, let's look at PLD.

His point total wasn't very impressive this year, but likely would have hit 20 for the 3rd consecutive year.

His team lost Panarin (Duchene) and former 40 goal scorer Atkinson has 12 this year. They have 3 players with 40, or more points including PLD leading the team at 49. They played a more defensive style. For comparison, Montreal has 6, including Tatar in the 60s, who could be a winger for PLD.

Dubois would likely cost 10.5 at 5 years. 500k less and 2 less years for him over Barzal ? Doesn't look too good.

However, Dubois would be that big number 1 centre who has shown he has game breaking talent and take a little longer to break out.

Again, with the acquisition of him, Domi is gone, so you could go the Anderson route, or a LHD.

Dubois would get better wingers to play with in Drouin*, Tatar, Gallagher, Suzuki and possibly Caufield in a season, or two.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dubois got to a 30/30 player and if we can get him a high end talent, could be a ppg player.

In short, both have their advantages, but if the team doesn't surround them at least somewhat properly, it's just a waste.

I also think Montreal could potentially pry Dubois away via trade than Barzal. Offering up their 1st this year, plus a 1at next year, Domi and other picks/prospects/roster players. Columbus has 15 mill in space with Dubois and Anderson as players of importance that are rfa/ufa. They likely know Dubois will be a target and it's better to get what you're going to get plus a centre that can play now than 2 1sts that will likely end up being 15th.

Montreal would pay a little more to acquire him than offer sheet him to potentially get his contract less and for longer than 5 years.

That said, expect nothing and you'll be pleasantly surprised if anything does happen
I do think Barzal is the better offensive player but like you say Dubois is that big body Center that is very coveted and he does have a bit of a mean streak to him.

I'm all for trading a Domi or Drouin if we could get back defensive help or a big winger like an Anderson. We desperately need skill and size on the wings and of course a younger D man going forward.

In regards to the picks we'd have to give up in order to snag a player like the two mentioned, I think with where this team is at currently, our prospect pool as it stands today and where we'll be in 3-4 years, I'd be willing to part with 4 1st for a legitimate, young #1 Center. It was really interesting listening to Friedman speaking about the chances of a player picked outside the first few selections of the first round and how they have a minimal chance of making a significant impact on a team in the future. If the team continues to improve which I do believe they will and we pick in the 20-32 slot going forward, I think it's something the team should do.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I do think Barzal is the better offensive player but like you say Dubois is that big body Center that is very coveted and he does have a bit of a mean streak to him.

I'm all for trading a Domi or Drouin if we could get back defensive help or a big winger like an Anderson. We desperately need skill and size on the wings and of course a younger D man going forward.

In regards to the picks we'd have to give up in order to snag a player like the two mentioned, I think with where this team is at currently, our prospect pool as it stands today and where we'll be in 3-4 years, I'd be willing to part with 4 1st for a legitimate, young #1 Center. It was really interesting listening to Friedman speaking about the chances of a player picked outside the first few selections of the first round and how they have a minimal chance of making a significant impact on a team in the future. If the team continues to improve which I do believe they will and we pick in the 20-32 slot going forward, I think it's something the team should do.

The other thing with the 4 1sts is you can choose 1 year to keep it. By thar, I mean if we sign someone and they don't math, we don't automatically lose '21,'22,'23 and '24. We can keep '21 and then just do the next 4. Or give '21, '22, keep '23 and give up '24 and '25.

In a great world, if the habs can keep this pick and then give up the next 4 for PLD, or Barzal, then the habs might have the depth in '21-'22 to be a serious threat. At the same time, we could have better forwards, but need d and maybe a goalie.

However, team could look like

PLD/Barzal, Suzuki, KK (hopefully, even if he's just a 20 goal scorer that's fairly good), Danault slotted in the 3rd line C position. Likely one of Tatar/Gallagher, 7th overall (or better), Caufield + a surprise signing/prospect development.

Less exciting, Romanov, Norlinder, Weber(likely a distinct 2nd pairing dman) maybe Petry + the return of Domi/Drouin

Goaltending, Price and/Primeau.

Other prospects that may have developed nicely. The return that whichever wasn't trade for the d in Domi/Drouin might be.

There's enough there that Montreal could be turned into a good team in 2 years, but it requires a GM with some balls to make hard trades and hard signings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
+ likely over-paying if the other team isn't willing to match - not negligible in a salary cap world
+ loss of high draft pick(s)… potentially top 10 depending on team performance
+ the Habs are not 1 top player away from being serious contenders

I'd be willing to give up future draft picks for a player like Barzal. He has the potential to be elite. It's been so long since we've had an elite forward. And we've had at least 7 lottery picks since 2003. Still no elite forward.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Have you seen the Habs 1st round pics since 1980??
In 40 years I believe 5 or 6 were legit top 6 forwards or top 3 defense.

This organization has been shitting the bed on 1st round pics for decades now!!

The offer sheet is the only way to go.

Get a true star and fork over the 4 1st rounders... Odds are stacked that those 4 pics won't amount for much anyway!

If you are not drafting the sure thing at 1st overall, you are probably busting on the 1st rounder.

I mean really think hard, who can you name of the top of your head as 1st round successes for the Habs?

Cassels, Koivu, Price, Svoboda, Corson, Pacioretty... 6 players in roughly 40 years... Oof!

Let other teams do the work and develop these kids right and poach as many as you can... I mean you have the cash.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Have you seen the Habs 1st round pics since 1980??
In 40 years I believe 5 or 6 were legit top 6 forwards or top 3 defense.

This organization has been shitting the bed on 1st round pics for decades now!!

The offer sheet is the only way to go.

Get a true star and fork over the 4 1st rounders... Odds are stacked that those 4 pics won't amount for much anyway!

If you are not drafting the sure thing at 1st overall, you are probably busting on the 1st rounder.

I mean really think hard, who can you name of the top of your head as 1st round successes for the Habs?

Cassels, Koivu, Price, Svoboda, Corson, Pacioretty... 6 players in roughly 40 years... Oof!

Let other teams do the work and develop these kids right and poach as many as you can... I mean you have the cash.

Makes no sense. maybe with ONE if, say, they score at a PPG pace in their first year and keep improving from there but, their team will surely match no matter what.

Otherwise, you're vastly overpaying based on their actual production just for the right to fork over your 1st round picks.

There's no way you can keep doing this and ice a team worth its weight in overpaid players. It's a Cap world and compulsive offer sheeting will only screw up your team's Cap structure.

Try getting a better scouting department instead.

I'd rather be worried about fielding offer sheets than desperately looking to hand some out.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Lou says he wants Barzal signed, so not likely an offer sheet..............if it happens he has said he will match.

Sounds like a done deal.............another offer sheet from MB would just make him look like a bigger clown, if that's possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad