Offer Sheet Barzal?

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Suzuki
Domi
Danault
Kotkaniemi.

And we add Barzal ?

I would not overpay for Barzal (the offer sheet would need a crazy $$$ to work...meaning 10+).

For me, it’s either we trade (KK or Suzuki) /sign an UFA. A big etablished #1 center(highly unlikely) within the next few years...

or

give all the space to Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. (meaning we trade Domi if he can’t play wing, Danault slowly goes to third line when other are ready)

Reactions: HBDay

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Suzuki
Domi
Danault
Kotkaniemi.

And we add Barzal ?

I would not overpay for Barzal (the offer sheet would need a crazy $$$ to work...meaning 10+).

For me, it’s either we trade (KK or Suzuki) /sign an UFA. A big etablished #1 center(highly unlikely) within the next few years...

or

give all the space to Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. (meaning we trade Domi if he can’t play wing, Danault slowly goes to third line when other are ready)
We trade Domi AFTER we see TWO Top-6 centers emerge. Otherwise we are trading a top-6 center and going backwards.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Barzal
Suzuki
Danault

That'd be a nice trio for next season

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
We trade Domi AFTER we see TWO Top-6 centers emerge. Otherwise we are trading a top-6 center and going backwards.

weird part is that within the isles sytems, Barzal was less productive than Domi

Dont get me wrong id rather have Barzal but at the cost of 4 1st? 2 1st 2nd 3rd. ok

Better grab Lindholm for Domi +

Barzal Lindholm for Domi Brook 1st 2021 1st 2022 2nd 3rd

Last edited:

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010

I would agree... but it’s a tricky situation.

Domi need a contract. I think it will play a big part. (Position, length, $$$)

And I do believe if you want a top 6C emerge... at some point..you need to take a decision and live with it.

What would you do on opening night if you still have KK/Domi/Suzuki/Danault ?

I would usually say:
Put Domi on wing...but he doesn’t seem to cooperate.
Put Suzuki RW...but they really seem to want him at C.

lemairefan

Mar 8, 2012
I think the Habs should offer sheet Jake Virtanen. He's 23, RW, has some size 6'1" 226 lbs. He's got great wheels. Can be physical. Inconsistent, but he's matured a great deal this year. 69G 18G, 18A. Pressure from local fans to play him on 2nd line consistently. He's got some Max Domi-syndrome: the occasional glaring brain fart, but other times he just dominates a shift. He'd likely cost $3M - $3.5M depending on the cap. Cost: 2nd round pick.

Vancouver has issues with the cap (Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev, all UFA's. Pettersson and Hughes due for big raises in 2021 (combined, their cap hit is currently $1.84M. That will jump to $13M-15M in 2021)

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I think Rossi can be a Barzal in a couple years.

We draft Rossi. We try and sign or trade for a big RW.

If we have to trade away talent to get then so be it.

Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Poehling, Juulsen, Lehkonen, Mete all available for an impact player at a position of need.

Next year:
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Kovy Sign - Suzuki - RW Trade
Byron - Domi - Armia
Weal - Evans - Weise

Lindholm Trade - Weber
Romanov- Petry
Kulak, Fleury

I would even take a flyer on Nichuskin.

As for Rossi, I would love him on the Habs with him at C and Caufield his RW down the road.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
15 million AAV

giphy.gif

For 7 years!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would agree... but it’s a tricky situation.

Domi need a contract. I think it will play a big part. (Position, length, $$$)

And I do believe if you want a top 6C emerge... at some point..you need to take a decision and live with it.

What would you do on opening night if you still have KK/Domi/Suzuki/Danault ?

I would usually say:
Put Domi on wing...but he doesn’t seem to cooperate.
Put Suzuki RW...but they really seem to want him at C.
It's so easy. You put Suzuki on wing. He gets less defensive responsibility. He can still take right-side faceoffs.

It's not about Domi cooperating or not. It's about him being a much better player when he is moving and skating all the time in the center of the ice.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
it really is a waste of time, there's a reason why they never work.

It's mainly because the other team gives the player only a little bit more than they're worth

Flyers offersheeted Kesler to a low contract when he was new.

Flyers offer sheeted Weber when he was worth around 6.5 with an aav just over 7.5.

Oilers offer shorted Vanek 7.5 I believe when he was worth almost 6, if not a little more.

Dumb dumb offer sheeted Aho who probably wanted 9, or 10, but at 5 years bring him to ufa status at the perfect time and gets his contract out of the way.

Dustin Penner got a big contract after 1 big year. Ducks let him go to get the picks and because they couldnt afford that for a depth player and likely because they didn't expect him to replicate thar success, which he later did.

Carolina's offer sheet on Fedorov made him a highly paid player, but he was worth that. I also believe he was traded away from Detroit with in 2 seasons of signing it, but I could be wrong.

Bergevin is going to target PLD. He's worth 7, maybe 8 mill. Bergevin throws an offer sheet of 10.5 over 5 years and it has a good chance to work and much better than the Aho one.

He does it so it cost him 4 1sts, then I'm certain it works.

In short, teams need to offer sheet players who haven't reached their potential yet, but have shown great things.

Reactions: Destopcorner

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nope, no, non... offer sheets are the worst way to add talent to a line-up. Having said that, MB is just dumb enough to actually try.

Basically handcuffong yourself for a week until the other team inevitably matches.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Basically handcuffong yourself for a week until the other team inevitably matches.
+ likely over-paying if the other team isn't willing to match - not negligible in a salary cap world
+ loss of high draft pick(s)… potentially top 10 depending on team performance
+ the Habs are not 1 top player away from being serious contenders

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Bergevin is going to target PLD. He's worth 7, maybe 8 mill. Bergevin throws an offer sheet of 10.5 over 5 years and it has a good chance to work and much better than the Aho one.

He does it so it cost him 4 1sts, then I'm certain it works.

In short, teams need to offer sheet players who haven't reached their potential yet, but have shown great things.

If you had a choice, who would you rather have, Dubois or Barzal?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If you had a choice, who would you rather have, Dubois or Barzal?

Tough choice.

Barzal is a game breaking forward. He's had 1 really good season, 1 ok season and his current season is pretty good.

He would likely cost 11 mill for an offer sheet over 7 years, so 4 1st rounders. That's all rather expensive. Gotta ask yourself if you'd trade Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Sergachev for him. Then again, would the team finish out of playoffs 3 out if 4 years.

If the habs did offer sheet him and get him, Domi is gone if he isn't already. Say he brings back Anderson and either picks, or nothing else to keep things simple. Habs only have Mete to sign who's of any significance and he's not really significant. With 20.9 mill (not including Alzner being sent down freeing up around 1 mill) Montreal can sign Barzal (11) and Anderson (6.5, probably less, but just going high) and still have around 1 (2) mill for any callups.

I personally would also trade one of the bottom.6 guys (Lehkonen, Byron) for another player with size. Just to make sure we have some people incase people try to take liberties with Barzal.

Now, let's look at PLD.

His point total wasn't very impressive this year, but likely would have hit 20 for the 3rd consecutive year.

His team lost Panarin (Duchene) and former 40 goal scorer Atkinson has 12 this year. They have 3 players with 40, or more points including PLD leading the team at 49. They played a more defensive style. For comparison, Montreal has 6, including Tatar in the 60s, who could be a winger for PLD.

Dubois would likely cost 10.5 at 5 years. 500k less and 2 less years for him over Barzal ? Doesn't look too good.

However, Dubois would be that big number 1 centre who has shown he has game breaking talent and take a little longer to break out.

Again, with the acquisition of him, Domi is gone, so you could go the Anderson route, or a LHD.

Dubois would get better wingers to play with in Drouin*, Tatar, Gallagher, Suzuki and possibly Caufield in a season, or two.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dubois got to a 30/30 player and if we can get him a high end talent, could be a ppg player.

In short, both have their advantages, but if the team doesn't surround them at least somewhat properly, it's just a waste.

I also think Montreal could potentially pry Dubois away via trade than Barzal. Offering up their 1st this year, plus a 1at next year, Domi and other picks/prospects/roster players. Columbus has 15 mill in space with Dubois and Anderson as players of importance that are rfa/ufa. They likely know Dubois will be a target and it's better to get what you're going to get plus a centre that can play now than 2 1sts that will likely end up being 15th.

Montreal would pay a little more to acquire him than offer sheet him to potentially get his contract less and for longer than 5 years.

That said, expect nothing and you'll be pleasantly surprised if anything does happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->