Offer Sheet Barzal?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Guaranteed match. Don’t waste your time. They have the cap space and the inclination to keep him especially after losing Tavares.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Ok let’s open this up—What do you think? Yes or no? If yes, how much do the Habs offer?
You absolutely explore it. The Habs are not attractive to free agents, might as well try to pry away a young star.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You absolutely explore it. The Habs are not attractive to free agents, might as well try to pry away a young star.

In what world does this actually make sense? If you,re trying to pry away a McDavid for 15M, for example, the team matches. If you,re trying tp pry away a player 70% of McDavid,s skill for an overpayment, even for McDavid, you,re shooting yourself in the foot because you'll never get to keep a winning team together, much less add the missing pieces to get there.

Overpayment for a RFA is sheer folly, unless it's only a slight overpayment and the owner of the team with the RFA can't match because of personal financial problems. Even then, they likely match and then trade the player, just to spite the team making the hostile offer sheet.

Not one scenario where the team making the offer sheet actually makes a good deal, IMO.

Reactions: cphabs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The only value of offer sheets is for the NHLPA. They only work when decent players get offer sheeted like they were all-stars. Then, the team with the rights to the player prefers the multiple 1st rounders to grossly overpaying the player.

You're left with a good player paid like a franchise player and player agents across the league (but, more importantly, those for the other players on your team) start using this ridiculous contract as a comparable for future contracts with decent players.

It doesn't work because idiot owners at least understand how awful doing this usually ends up.

We had the year Vanek and that useless player everyone forgets the name of got paid HUGE money by EDM.

That was horrible, all around, even though the offer sheet for Vanek was matched.

EDM was the poster child for needing to use the offer sheet and it failed miserably, until they foolishly paid big cash for a lesser player just to get something done.

Reactions: cphabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It ain't going to work. Bergevin should have traded both Tatar and Petry when he had the chance to grab on more picks.
He needs to package picks+prospect+player for at least two game changers, one up front and one on D.

This team has no identity, it's horribly built, a bunch of outsiders who weren't wanted by their teams anymore.
Nashville was trying to get upgrade on Weber. Edmonton unhappy with Petry. Arizona disappointed with Domi. TB sick of Drouin's attitude. Vegas flopped on Tatar. Calgary put Byron on waivers. Up until recently, Kovalchuk too who was bought out by LA.

Nobody is really bleeding ''bleu blanc rouge'' on our team with the exception of Gallagher, perhaps .
Sure they'll all say some BS cliche about our history and what it means to play here but everyone knows that's just a routine PR speech.
Skills is pretty mediocre, not particularly fast, not strong defensively, not aggressive, not physical, not creative or innovative, pretty boring offensive style, can't remember the last time I watched a game where we saw two impressive dekes happen or see anyone lay out an opponent.
This year was as dull of a hockey team I've seen in Mtl for a very long time.

Locking up Barzal to a crazy deal isn't going to change any of that. Bring in two talented guys you can really build something on because we have f*** all to do that on here.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
it really is a waste of time, there's a reason why they never work.

that's a bold claim considering the insanely low amount of offers signed and the context of them

Barzal becomes your #1 C instantly at 22 , so yes of course you do offer sheet him hard, not some garbage offer because you think you have some insider info on the owner.

And while that email is going through the tubes of the internet, you go try some moves on other channels. Worst case scenario you end up with too many contracts or over the cap, which to me is a pretty damn good problem to have if you ended up signing Barzal + some other players to help your team

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
that's a bold claim considering the insanely low amount of offers signed and the context of them

Barzal becomes your #1 C instantly at 22 , so yes of course you do offer sheet him hard, not some garbage offer because you think you have some insider info on the owner.

And while that email is going through the tubes of the internet, you go try some moves on other channels. Worst case scenario you end up with too many contracts or over the cap, which to me is a pretty damn good problem to have if you ended up signing Barzal + some other players to help your team

it's not bold at all, it's just a fact that these almost never work and thus are never tried. The one we did last year imo was a favor to Rick Dudley to help them get their player signed to a reasonable contract. Guess we'll see if any get done this summer or not. As for Barzal becoming our #1 center, there's no way the NYI just let him walk, it's a pipedream nothing more.

Also you can't OS him and other players at the same time as the amount it would take to OS him if it's a legit one, would tie up all our picks that it would take to get him so we wouldn't be allowed to do another OS at the same time.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'll repost something I wrote last week:

Assuming the team that makes the offer sheet assumes they are going to be a playoff contender for the foreseeable future, the firsts would be late firsts. Especially with the added security of it being 4 of the next 5 firsts and not having to the 4 in a row.

Using the 24th OA as a random example (use whatever pick you'd like)

Would you take

2018 – Filip Johansson, D, Wild
2017 – Kristian Vesalainen, RW, Jets
2016 – Max Jones, LW, Ducks
2015 – Travis Konecny, C, Flyers
2014 – Jared McCann, C, Canucks
2013 – Hunter Shinkaruk, C/RW, Canucks
2012 – Malcolm Subban, G, Bruins
2011 – Matt Puempel, LW, Senators

4 of those over Barzal? I wouldn't.

You can do the same with any number after 20 and (with the exception of perhaps 25 with Pasta etc) I would take Barzal over 4 late firsts anyday

Essentially a 22 year old number 1 centre signed for 6/7 years is worth far more than 4 of your next 5 first round picks if you pick late in the first round.

I mean think of it this way, our last 4 draft picks in that range
Poehling (25oa)
Juulsen (26oa)
Sherbak (26oa)
McCarron (25oa)

Hell yes I'd trade 4 first round picks for Barzal

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sure. But Barzal is less exciting to me then at least 4-5 options from last year's RFA crop. I'd pay 2 1st round picks for him - not more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->