OT: Off-Topic Thread-Remembering the good 'ol days

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Very strange milestone today. Something been putting off for a long time.

Me and the Bride spent afternoon at lawyers having Wills and Trusts drawn up.

Very weird feeling.

Yeah. We put it off way too long for a variety of reasons and excuses. But now that we've aged and are traveling more and more we finally decided to push ourselves to see it through. Im glad its done.

We did this a few years back when a local law firm offered the service free for first responders.
We were about to start pre planning memorials as well (not to mention a kitchen reno). Both of those items are currently on hold with the impending layoff. My grandparents did the preplanning thing and it made their services so much less stressful for everyone.

Kate, I hope your week went as well as can be expected. {hugs}

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If you have any life insurance update your beneficiaries NOW. If you don't and you die the money goes to whoever is listed regardless of what you now intend. :heretohelp: :)

This is something I have been meaning to do fir a long time

Last week I saw a commercial concerning unclaimed property in Massachusetts and I went to the website and while my name wasn't there....my parents WERE.

There is unclaimed stock going back decades and it is a pretty large amount that I had no idea. More shocking was I saw one of my aunt's listed and she never married and worked in office most of her life. Well turns out she owned stock and quite a bit with blue chip companies. As far as we can tell the only survivors she has are the 5 living nieces and nephews including myself. I get along great with my other cousins as we all have a piece of the family cottage in Hampton Beach which we will never sell and just keep it for future generations.

We thought my Aunt died with nothing.............oh did we get that wrong.

Last edited:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I can remember watching him daily since I was a paperboy and knowing tomorrow's weather sure came in handy.
Two things I recall was his forecasts were on a big chalk board. No electronics. Just todays weather on one side and then he'd flip it for upcoming .
Second was a weekly forecast for 'ice sailing'. That always looked cool to me.

yup. I remember that too!
I remember the day Barry Burbank started. I was like, who's this joker?

My parents were news junkies, so we watched a lot of WBZ. The Jack Williams/Liz Walker combo was a big hit in my house.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Reading all this will and pre planning talk brings me back to the family conversations we had before my dad got sick.

My parents put the house in trust when my dad got sick in order to make sure we wouldn't lose in the event one of them needed to be put in a nursing home.

The one thing my dad always stressed to my sister and I was to take the maximum life insurance our jobs offer.

I second making sure your beneficiaries are updated. We just had a situation at the office where an employee passed away and the widow was told they were the beneficiary only to find out that she was not and that her husband's ex wife and oldest child from another relationship were. The insurance company legally could not give her any additional information.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Life insurance.....the only time you will bet against yourself while complete strangers bet on you.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Reading all this will and pre planning talk brings me back to the family conversations we had before my dad got sick.

My parents put the house in trust when my dad got sick in order to make sure we wouldn't lose in the event one of them needed to be put in a nursing home.

The one thing my dad always stressed to my sister and I was to take the maximum life insurance our jobs offer.

I second making sure your beneficiaries are updated. We just had a situation at the office where an employee passed away and the widow was told they were the beneficiary only to find out that she was not and that her husband's ex wife and oldest child from another relationship were. The insurance company legally could not give her any additional information.

My Mom put the house in trust and some $$ before my Dad went to the nursing Home. When she left us it did make it so much easier. The $$ helped pay for title 5 (I think that is what it was) where we had to spend $35 k putting in a new septic system. Also it took us a year to get the house cleaned out and sold so it paid for the taxes and heat.

I only have my daughter so my will should be simple. I don't have much. I just need to do it.

I pay extra at work for life insurance but once I retire (someday...) I will not carry any life insurance.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
yup. I remember that too!
I remember the day Barry Burbank started. I was like, who's this joker?

My parents were news junkies, so we watched a lot of WBZ. The Jack Williams/Liz Walker combo was a big hit in my house.

I vividly remember his first Noon news with Jack Chase and I said he will be back in Maine in 6 weeks. That was in 1978 :laugh:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Need to vent a little.

As I said, my wife told me it was over.
However, I basically refused to leave as I feel the need to fight to save my marriage.
She came back to marriage counseling with me and I fell on my sword with some things.

We go from days where things are close to normal to days where she completely shuts me out.
Today is one of the latter.

We had a great day yesterday and ran two races together.
Tonight we are at a concert and she won't even look at me, let alone talk to me.
I've tried several times to break the ice.

Frustrating.
Just trying to be the best man I can be and honor our vows.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Need to vent a little.

However, I basically refused to leave as I feel the need to fight to save my marriage.
She came back to marriage counseling with me and I fell on my sword with some things.

We go from days where things are close to normal to days where she completely shuts me out.

Tonight we are at a concert and she won't even look at me, let alone talk to me.

Frustrating.

Very admirable. You can only do so much though. Maybe try other new things together besides just exercise related things. Marriage counseling does help so that's a good thing.

Does she harbor some sort of resentment towards you for something? Seems weird she would just not even look at you for no real reason.

In the end though we can't make people feel how we want them to feel, and you can't let her rob your joy daily if that's what she's doing.

I would advise to fight like you ate though. It's to easy to walk away these days. Sometimes the new version trumps the old relationship in spades, you can begin again and you can be happier than you've ever been, but you both need to check your baggage, resentment and pride at the door.

I know you had mentioned you were different religions. I would advise you go to a non denominational church together as christians and not get hung up on presentation. It could work wonders

Try to hang in and if she's the one you truly want to spend the rest of your life with then fight to the end. Nothing worth having is ever easy.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think on Sundays the wounds are reopen due to the religion thing.

Like Wolverine, patience hasn't always been my strongest suit so I'm going to let things breathe and take the good days with the bad.

Unfortunately, her answer seems to be to not attend church at all.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Man am I behind on my travel blog. I'm in the process of getting caught up but have a long way to go...

3 articles for Rome (done)
6 for Switzerland/Liechtenstein/France (in progress)
2-3 for Hawaii
3 for Mexico
2 for Vancouver
2 for Ottawa
4 for Japan
3-4 for upcoming trip (not sure where yet)

I really want to get caught up by the end of October. I have a ticket booked on the inaugural flight of our new aircraft, and really want to do a liveish report of the flight, which should generate some website traffic. But I hate going out of order on my posts. So I write....getting into a bit of a groove though. Done 5 posts in the last couple days.

Last edited:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I think on Sundays the wounds are reopen due to the religion thing.

Like Wolverine, patience hasn't always been my strongest suit so I'm going to let things breathe and take the good days with the bad.

Unfortunately, her answer seems to be to not attend church at all.

I like to think of spirituality as a connection to something greater than me. Something that feeds me.

I am holding the space for all that you are going through. Breathing and letting go sounds like a good plan:)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like to think of spirituality as a connection to something greater than me. Something that feeds me.

I am holding the space for all that you are going through. Breathing and letting go sounds like a good plan:)

Spirituality has played a huge role in my life for many years now and it`s far less to do with religion, far more to do with being aware of my fellows, focusing far less on the things I can acquire or material good and more on living right. I`m no more religious today than I was over a dozen years ago when I sought help for some personal demons I have battled which I have shared here in the past.

I can still be a selfish pr*** at times but these days, I find myself being far more focused on how my decisions affect not just me, but Mrs. Odaat and others.

Empathy, compassion and being less judgmental are good starting points to being a spiritual human being. I`m not perfect at it, I`m a work in progress and progress rarely happens in a straight line

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Need to vent a little.

Frustrating.

Hang in there friend, I recall vividly that prior to me entering a relationship with Mrs Odaat I sought outside counselling from a relationship counselor which may seem odd to some however, I had never been in a healthy relationship due to my past decision making and actions and I wasn`t willing to continue that pattern of behavior and enter a new relationship.

Now, Mrs Odaat didn`t attend until much later into my sessions but she appreciated my reasoning behind doing this and the results have been wonderful. We still have differences but nowadays, I discuss those differences where in years past before I got well, I screamed them which did little to help a situation

Keep working at it, hope all turns out well. The above was/is only my experience, not suggesting this is remotely similar to what your going through.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Rickety ladder, hockey stick and a neighbor with video cam for us to watch on youtube. :naughty:

Think when its dark tonite gonna try using the kayak oar to scrape it off on one try (hopefully) and hope it lands in the bucket of water underneath. Then run for it. Should be good. Not sure what else to try. Dont feel like waiting for winter. It keeps getting bigger

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Think when its dark tonite gonna try using the kayak oar to scrape it off on one try (hopefully) and hope it lands in the bucket of water underneath. Then run for it. Should be good. Not sure what else to try. Dont feel like waiting for winter. It keeps getting bigger

It's probably as good an idea as any though I don't know if a kayak oar is long enough to keep you away from the wrath of thousands of angry bees.

I guess we'll know if your next post is from the emergency room ;)

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
It's probably as good an idea as any though I don't know if a kayak oar is long enough to keep you away from the wrath of thousands of angry bees.

I guess we'll know if your next post is from the emergency room ;)

Yeah. not sure. Im hoping they cant see and are a little slow when its cooler and dark.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I had one over my front door. I stayed behind a screen and sprayed the nest with wasp spray. They were pissed off.

A day later they were gone and I scrapped the nest off.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I had one over my front door. I stayed behind a screen and sprayed the nest with wasp spray. They were pissed off.

A day later they were gone and I scrapped the nest off.

it sucks that this is at the corner of my house. How big was the nest above the door??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad