Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Friedman is saying that the Canes are thinking about buying out Kotkaniemi. Since he's only 23, they'd have to pay him only 1/3rd of the contract and save 20M.

He'd stay on the books for 12 years though.

His offer sheet was such a fiasco that we may never see another one again.
Offer sheet was great, it's just the stupid long-term contract they signed him to afterwards that doomed then.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Offer sheet was great, it's just the stupid long-term contract they signed him to afterwards that doomed then.
Actually the best way to use an offer sheet. You overpay for potential, because you have the space and you put the other team in a pickle. But you also don't target the top end guys, because they will always be matched. Montreal didn't really get anything for Kotkaniemi, and what Carolina had to do was overpay him for one year where they could evaluate him. The issue was that they made the wrong evaluation, or didn't get Kotkaniemi to sign another evaluation deal at a much lower cost.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I regret googling this. I had no idea.
200w.gif

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Speaking of googling, I did a double take and had to go look up Zacha's numbers when they congratulated him on scoring his first career playoff goal. 25th career playoff game tonight and his first goal.

Solid player too so that was surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad