OT: Off Topic Thread-Honeymoons are so wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Hi, MH33, I wanted to dispel this myth for you. This is from the National Weather Service:

"Rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection from lightning. However, the steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not touching metal. Although you may be injured if lightning strikes your car, you are much safer inside a vehicle than outside."

Basically the car becomes a Faraday cage, the lightning travels around the occupants and into the ground. Lightning would have no trouble blowing right through several inches of rubber.

More specifically, the lightning travels through 5000 feet of atmosphere before it gets to your car - the 8 inches between your car & the ground is nothing, same for the grimy water covering your tires.

And if someone hadn't used the term "Faraday cage" in the past two days, I would have had to strangle something ;)

member 96824

So far Sharknado has featured Mark McGrath, Billy Ray Cyrus, Andy Dick, Matt Lauer, and Al Roker. 38 minutes in.

Best.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I'm a huge weather nerd and love storms, but there's something about tornados that have always petrified me. I think it's something about the totally random nature and unpredictability of them.

Being in a tornado is one of my biggest fears.

Same here. I've lived through several hurricanes, and have little fear of them but tornadoes give me the willies.
...which makes no sense - hurricanes spawn plenty of tornadoes, last the entire day, and have peak winds that are comparable to low grade tornadoes. And that's all assuming that I never ride out a hurricane in a place subject to storm surge.

member 96824

That. Was. Amazing.

862004774.gif

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Why don't people ever acknowledge how incredible of a guitarist Prince is? Is it the puffy shirt?

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Why don't people ever acknowledge how incredible of a guitarist Prince is? Is it the puffy shirt?

I've been hearing Prince for three days straight now.

not complaining.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Man what a day, have a terrible cold (2nd this month) and had to drive to Champlain NY to get medication, 2 hour border line wait, John Lester and Lackey traded en route, Windshield wiper flies off on the highway while driving in the rain back to MTL, dropped my new phone in a puddle so its now warped and the speakers sound like garbage. However, just got back from a walk with my dog and met beautiful girl on the street and got her number. I`ll take it!

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Man what a day, have a terrible cold (2nd this month) and had to drive to Champlain NY to get medication, 2 hour border line wait, John Lester and Lackey traded en route, Windshield wiper flies off on the highway while driving in the rain back to MTL, dropped my new phone in a puddle so its now warped and the speakers sound like garbage. However, just got back from a walk with my dog and met beautiful girl on the street and got her number. I`ll take it!

get after it. things happen for a reason

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

I've heard you can dry out a wet phone in a sealed container of rice (uncooked!). Anybody ever tried it? I have a gunsafe full of hoarded desiccant packets. :snide:

Dogs are well known chick magnets. :dd::5:

member 96824

Anyone ever get fake numbered? Girlfriend told me just met some creeper walking his dog, had to give him a fake to get him away.

WHITE TEXT

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Anyone ever get fake numbered? Girlfriend told me just met some creeper walking his dog, had to give him a fake to get him away.

WHITE TEXT

lol classic :laugh: she is new in the city and needs someone to show her around.

Thanks for the phone advice Sooshi, currently sitting in a bag of rice for a few days

Last edited:

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Hope you feel better KrejciMVP. And the rice does help. My iPhone got a fire & ice shot spilled on it (dr mcgillicuddy's and fireball together... so ultimately sticky) and my speakers were garbage. Rice helped them come back to normal, thank goodness.

I had chicken soup for dinner. Still feeling lousy, but I've gotten a lot of research done for an upcoming trip to NYC.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Hope you feel better KrejciMVP. And the rice does help. My iPhone got a fire & ice shot spilled on it (dr mcgillicuddy's and fireball together... so ultimately sticky) and my speakers were garbage. Rice helped them come back to normal, thank goodness.

I had chicken soup for dinner. Still feeling lousy, but I've gotten a lot of research done for an upcoming trip to NYC.

Thanks WickedBruinsgirl, hopefully this Azithromycin does the trick. Hope you get better as well and have a fun safe trip to NYC!

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Thanks WickedBruinsgirl, hopefully this Azithromycin does the trick. Hope you get better as well and have a fun safe trip to NYC!

Thanks. Trip won't be until Labor Day weekend. But I only planned it because I was on the laptop all day sneezing my head off.

Anybody watching NY Med this summer? First time watching it tonight. Pretty cool show.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

Kovi will un-friend me for this, but despite the musical talent, I find it damn near impossible to get beyond the whole attitude and/or persona of the....person.

Sorry Cyn!

(Although we do have a file cabinet here at work that holds the drawings formerly known as prints.)

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Kovi will un-friend me for this, but despite the musical talent, I find it damn near impossible to get beyond the whole attitude and/or persona of the....person.

Sorry Cyn!

(Although we do have a file cabinet here at work that holds the drawings formerly known as prints.)

Its ok--you have other redeeming qualities...plus I need you to help get the chloroform bottle unscrewed.:laugh::laugh:

how are you feeling, love?

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Its ok--you have other redeeming qualities...plus I need you to help get the chloroform bottle unscrewed.:laugh::laugh:

how are you feeling, love?

I guess that's the difference between a chloroform bottle and a pregnant chick! :laugh:

Thank you, I'll be here all weekend!

I'm feeling great, thank you! I'm ready to have a world dance party!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad