OT: Off-Topic Thread - 2018 - It's summertime summertime sum sum summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Yeah I don't get it either.

We went to school in both of those cases. We never froze to death, or passed out. I'm guessing schools may be afraid of lawsuits these days? Who knows.

It's a different world than when I grew up, and when your generation grew up. I get that. I want kids to be safe, but I also would like to see consistency in application of policy. I get it, for some kids waiting in sub-zero temperatures for the bus without appropriate protection is incredibly dangerous. But that logic doesn't fly when it comes to heat...so what's the rationale for the call? I'd imagine school to be a safer place, even if not air conditioned, in extreme heat than potentially being home alone also not in air conditioning.

I remember hot days and the teachers keeping the lights off, or moving outside to a shady spot if it was too stuffy in a classroom.

Reactions: Kovi

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's a different world than when I grew up, and when your generation grew up. I get that. I want kids to be safe, but I also would like to see consistency in application of policy. I get it, for some kids waiting in sub-zero temperatures for the bus without appropriate protection is incredibly dangerous. But that logic doesn't fly when it comes to heat...so what's the rationale for the call? I'd imagine school to be a safer place, even if not air conditioned, in extreme heat than potentially being home alone also not in air conditioning.

I remember hot days and the teachers keeping the lights off, or moving outside to a shady spot if it was too stuffy in a classroom.

Agreed 100%

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I love watching these World Cup games.
But man- the NHL has slowly brought over the diving and the silly arm in the air calling for penalties and offsides.

Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I love watching these World Cup games.
But man- the NHL has slowly brought over the diving and the silly arm in the air calling for penalties and offsides.
Because they keep rewarding it. If they would call only a dive when a player dives, so he puts his team down a man, you'll see it stop really fast. but no, they call only the other player, or worse, call both. If they would call just the diver, it would stop pretty quickly.

On the off topic topic (sorry for talking hockey in here), is it hot there yet?

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

My teachers always turned the lights off and we were able to wear a short sleeved polo shirt that didn't need to be tucked it.

If we had a little breeze or were on the shady side of the building they would open the windows to make it less stuffy.

Each classroom should have a fan in it for hot days imo, but I understand that it isn't realistic for some.

The real solution to the problem both winter and summer is to fix the school calendar.

Start them before Labor Day and seriously consider having 1 week off in March versus 1 in February and April.

Again, you'd have to deal with the unions but changing the schedule around would eliminate the need for make up days and the kids would be out of school before the heat really set in.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Let's be honest here. The only reason they are cancelling school is because it's the end of the year and teachers don't what to hear students bitching all day about the heat. They've had to deal with the brats all year and don't want to deal with the brats and the heat.

Reactions: Fenway

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Let's be honest here. The only reason they are cancelling school is because it's the end of the year and teachers don't what to hear students *****ing all day about the heat. They've had to deal with the brats all year and don't want to deal with the brats and the heat.

Yup. It was hotter in september than today. And they had school then.
Not even that bad today. No way its 95 like they said.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yup. It was hotter in september than today. And they had school then.
Not even that bad today. No way its 95 like they said.
Away from the coast it most certainly is.

It's at least a good 5 degrees warmer at my apartment than where I am now.

If there wasn't a breeze, it would be stifling here in the Back Bay.

I went out at lunch and now I look like a giant ball of sweat thanks to the humidity

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My school never closed for heat conditions- they just opened all the windows & doors. The building had these really tall windows that opened out, you had to turn a handle to crank them open/close & they were hard to turn. No AC, the school was built in 1953 with 2 additions in the 1960s.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Look! Connecticut is number one at something! :sarcasm: The link has the list. Mass is #14
A new study ranks US states in order of psychopathy
A new study ranks US states in order of psychopathy

Sometimes, it can feel like there are psychopaths everywhere. If you live in the United States, it’s now possible to move to less psychopathic environs, thanks to new research ranking 48 contiguous states by psychopathy.

Connecticut wins the dubious award of most psychopathic state in the US, followed by California in second, and New Jersey third. New York and Wyoming tie for joint fourth place, followed by Maine.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You Tube has crashed

upload_2018-6-18_15-40-57.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sigh

Last call at Sully’s: Bar closes after 84 years

The bar on Chestnut Street in Quincy Center was open since the end of Prohibition, and owned by the Sullivan family throughout its entire history. For decades, the towering, pink neon sign outside the bar marked a place where working-class Quincy residents could come in for an affordable drink in a place that was family-run, comfortable and never flashy.

Sullivan said his bar’s closure was a sign of changing times, an end of an era of sorts as classic dive bars have less and less pull than in their heyday. Business at Sully’s had become slow during the beginning of the weeks, and younger Quincy residents became gradually less likely to step inside, he said.

“People don’t come out to watch sports or anything anymore, especially young people,” he said.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
“People don’t come out to watch sports or anything anymore, especially young people,” he said.

When everyone in the world can afford 65" and bigger 4K TVs these days and drinking in bars has become ridiculously expensive, what's the point in leaving the comfort of your own living room? It's only going to get worse for bars that aren't within easy walking distance of Fenway/The Garden or aren't featured on the Travel Channel/tourist books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad