OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
They’re good, ordered some today.
Worth the price for sure.

If you like breakfast sausage their breakfast bangers are the best I’ve ever had.
Just seeing the talk about food and meat. Had to say... best breakfast sausage I've ever had is by my father in law.

Unfortunately no longer here anymore but he was an amazing guy and he was a butcher but ran his own butcher shop on the side as well.

Unreal stuff. If you had a deer or moose, bear, cow, pig etc... he'd cut up anything and it was perfect.

Sounds funny now to some but good luck finding people who can do a quality job of it now a days and dress it etc after a hunt. Hard to find.

Just reading through this with some posts reminded me of him. He was such a good soul. You also couldn't find someone who could cut up better bacon, steaks etc. We were lucky then. Can't find stuff like that now.

Maybe at a local butcher shop but it's a bit different you know. Bias.

Anyway....

Just saying for the lads out there don't worry... Marry a butchers daughter. They'll scare you at first ... but they're teddy bears lol.

That's my rant for the night.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Years ago, we had a Leaf Lounge on this forum. I posted a shit load in it before like 2009 or so.

When did it meet its demise?
Your going a ways back there my friend, in a land of TC’s and TU’s, but ye ol’ Lounge was a wild and wacky place back in the earlier days. No 2021’er obviously lol.. who in days of yore were ye? (Dm will do lol..)

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Danforth Tech going back here

Edit: can’t get multi quote to work off my phone, but there was chatter this makes sense to respond to

Reactions: BallardEra

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Oh wow. Very cool.

I graduated from there in 1991.
I did an LTO (long term occasional) for somebody in around 87? Post '91 it was summer and night school to help pay the mortgage after the divorce. Some great competitions between Leaside and EYC in the mid 70s: hockey, football and rugby being my most vivid memories. Damn, your football team had some big boys 555.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Currently playing.

Game is so so so good. I was skeptical at first when I realized they re-used the same map, but they way basically re-invented it and added the sky/abyss portions was fantastic. Currently at 70 hours played and I still have quite a bit to do.

I have a term I like to use for top caliber video games games like God of war Ragnarok, or Spiderman or Last of us part 1, or Tears of the Kingdom, games that raise the bar, either by their story, or game play etc.

That term is called "Elite Gaming Experience."

Tears of the Kingdom is an example as to why I started using that term, because when it was over I wished it wasn't

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I did an LTO (long term occasional) for somebody in around 87? Post '91 it was summer and night school to help pay the mortgage after the divorce. Some great competitions between Leaside and EYC in the mid 70s: hockey, football and rugby being my most vivid memories. Damn, your football team had some big boys 555.
There have also been a couple of NHL hockey players that have come through the school as well and also Rob Butler for baseball.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Tears of the Kingdom is an example as to why I started using that term, because when it was over I wished it wasn't
Been a Zelda fan since the the late 1980s and have pretty much played them all minus the Philips CDi ones that are a joke. I even got my nieces into Zelda from a young age.

Back in the day I remember the hate Wind Waker got for its art style but that game still holds up amazingly well today.

Nintendo have always done their own thing which has frustrated their fans but there's no denying that they know how to make great games.

Hopefully the torch is passed from Miyamoto to another genius.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Born and raised in Toronto (East York and Leaside) and the older I get the more I start to dislike it. Would never consider Ottawa but to each their own. Eastern Canada is what I'd prefer if I moved for good. My brother picked up last year and moved to Cyprus for good. I'll be visiting him for 4 weeks in August and September.

I wouldn't care if there was an NHL franchise where I moved to.

I'm going to Cyprus in end of September.

Reactions: al secord

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Your going a ways back there my friend, in a land of TC’s and TU’s, but ye ol’ Lounge was a wild and wacky place back in the earlier days. No 2021’er obviously lol.. who in days of yore were ye? (Dm will do lol..)
Check your DM's

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Semi serious note - anyone else getting totally disillusioned with this city? Constant traffic, insane cost of living? My friends are starting to flee. Another one just tolkd me today that he is moving to (*gag*) Ottawa. Why not though? He can buy a full size standalone house for 400K there, basically becoming mortgage free at 43 years old. I was thinking hard about it. Ottawa? Calgary? States?

PS. If you had to move, how important would it be to you to have an NHL/ AHL/ OHL/ WHL franchise where you go?

I live in a rural part of Canada, which is sort of the other extreme. Lots of nature and outdoor activities if you like to fish, ski, or hike, but the cost of living is still pretty brutal since we're hit particularly hard by inflatation on food and fuel prices. Poor restaurant selection, lower wages, substandard healthcare system.

Still not sure I'd ever want to live in a city; whenever I visit one I feel like a hillbilly. I've never actually been to a Leafs game in Toronto, so that's on my bucket list.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Hello, is your avatar pic taken from Cabot Cliffs? Had a wonderful day there, this looks like the 17th, if I'm not mistaken.

Hello, is your avatar pic taken from Cabot Cliffs? Had a wonderful day there, this looks like the 17th, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes it is, my fav in Cape Breton is Highland Links.
1689341418465.png

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I live in a rural part of Canada, which is sort of the other extreme. Lots of nature and outdoor activities if you like to fish, ski, or hike, but the cost of living is still pretty brutal since we're hit particularly hard by inflatation on food and fuel prices. Poor restaurant selection, lower wages, substandard healthcare system.

Still not sure I'd ever want to live in a city; whenever I visit one I feel like a hillbilly. I've never actually been to a Leafs game in Toronto, so that's on my bucket list.
On another forum I used to frequent there was a poster from Iqaluit. I remember him saying a gallon of milk (or whatever standard large size milk container you have in Canada, I'm pleading ignorance here) was like $10 CAD...ten years ago. I can't even imagine what it's like now.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Always a good day when meat arrives. :thumbu:
Pic of the ribs for you.
My dad always orders his meat from the same place, it's good stuff :D

Haven't been spending a lot of time on the forum this summer, been a really busy one but awesome one for me. Got to watch my brother light it up in the World Lacrosse Championship, now just got home after a short Canadian tour, officially got my first fangirls last night in Ottawa LOL. Now getting in a nice day of rest before flying to California tmo for a string of shows with another artist :) Only sad thing is the amount of summer league games I've had to miss LOL

Hope everyone's having a great summer

Reactions: ACC1224

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Poll:

When i buy a PS5.... Disc or no disc edition?

Discs are glorified coasters at this point. Save the extra money imo

Been a Zelda fan since the the late 1980s and have pretty much played them all minus the Philips CDi ones that are a joke. I even got my nieces into Zelda from a young age.

Back in the day I remember the hate Wind Waker got for its art style but that game still holds up amazingly well today.

Nintendo have always done their own thing which has frustrated their fans but there's no denying that they know how to make great games.

Hopefully the torch is passed from Miyamoto to another genius.

Well, when it comes to Zelda, that has already happened. Eji Aonuma is the guy these days, has been for some time actually

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I've been an asus xenbook fan for a few years. Things are evolving so much lately that I figure new brand has the best value proposition. Part of my recent renovations at home include laying cat 6a cable for 10gb network. I found a managed switch I can buy for as little as $700 bucks to support it. I can buy a NAS now for less about 1k that I can upgrade to that speed. Frame rates on monitors are frigging crazy. Everything is changing quickly and it's insane to cycle a full laptop cost every 2 years. They will eventually drag every vendor to this upgradeable right to repair paradigm if given support.
Just my 2 cents.

I love it in theory, but I think it’s probably too idealistic to become reality. I don’t think Framework can get to a point where they put pressure on other laptop makers to adapt to a different build paradigm. While they go modular, the big brands are actually going further in the opposite direction and despite that, they’re the ones in stores, so that’s what people are generally going to buy.

Honestly, its a sad state, but I think the majority of people, even if you told them everything wrong with the upgradeability and repairability of laptops today, if you took them to a store and showed them a beautifully designed ultra book and put the framework side by side with its admittedly lacking polish, they’d like still buy the HP, Apple, Dell, Surface etc.

Aesthetic is going to matter if Framework is ever going to disrupt the market in any meaningful way

The other problem is most people don’t upgrade their laptops that often. Like maybe every 5-6 years

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For those looking for a low calorie beer, I tried this the other day and was very surprised by how much I liked it. You definitely know you\re drinking a light beer, but no unpleasant weird taste that I so often find comes with the light beer tasting experience. Only 3.3% alcohol, and only 130 calories for this tall can.

BootLite.PNG

Another very good one that I found last year was this one. 4% alcohol, and 110 calories for the small can. This is the first light beer I've ever tried that doesn't taste like a light beer, amazing stuff. As one reviewer said, these guys cracked the code - very well said IMO.

Treadlightly.PNG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad