OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don’t know if it’s off topic enough for this, but Will nickname needs to be Brick, am I right?

Heading out to the east coast in a few weeks with the family, down through NB, over to NS, round the Cabot Trail and then over to PEI. Sorting out the must see's right now.
I would strongly recommend avoiding the 108 in NB. It’s much more scenic than the transcanada, but it’s in hideously poor condition. Not worth blowing a tire and having no cell service.

Reactions: Squiffy

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I don’t know if it’s off topic enough for this, but Will nickname needs to be Brick, am I right?

Heading out to the east coast in a few weeks with the family, down through NB, over to NS, round the Cabot Trail and then over to PEI. Sorting out the must see's right now.
Can never go wrong with the Cabot Trail. Make sure your brakes are good, very steep inclines and hairpin turns. Cape Smokey, Cape North and French Mountain have stunning views/scenery. Check out the Coastal Cafe in Ingonish for great eats.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I like the food talk but... sounds like some of you guys need to go on a healthier diet.

just get aids dummies.

ayds dietary candy that is

lfsbqzlq5im31.jpg

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I love a good steak but being from the east coast, it's all about the seafood. Digby scallops are a particular fave. Malpeque Bay oysters from PEI and of course lobster. Best price and freshness can be had right at the wharf.
Fresh Digby scallops, steamed, with butter and just a touch of Old Bay. Mmmmmmm.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I strongly support this thread existing.
I’m vegetarian so I can’t speak much to the initial post you made, so I’ll just offer this nugget instead for discussion. Laptop shopping in 2023 is hot garbage. Also anyone else playing FF16, so good.
I was excited to see this company spring up for laptops. Will definitely be my next. Repairable and upgradeable...about time

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I was excited to see this company spring up for laptops. Will definitely be my next. Repairable and upgradeable...about time

I’ve seen these very cool, but I still don’t know if I would want it. I love the theory, but I have a hard time imaging it having all the things I want and the quality of finished I’d like. Dell actually has a prototype computer that is very similar but who knows if it’ll ever see market

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Semi serious note - anyone else getting totally disillusioned with this city? Constant traffic, insane cost of living? My friends are starting to flee. Another one just tolkd me today that he is moving to (*gag*) Ottawa. Why not though? He can buy a full size standalone house for 400K there, basically becoming mortgage free at 43 years old. I was thinking hard about it. Ottawa? Calgary? States?

PS. If you had to move, how important would it be to you to have an NHL/ AHL/ OHL/ WHL franchise where you go?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Semi serious note - anyone else getting totally disillusioned with this city? Constant traffic, insane cost of living? My friends are starting to flee. Another one just tolkd me today that he is moving to (*gag*) Ottawa. Why not though? He can buy a full size standalone house for 400K there, basically becoming mortgage free at 43 years old. I was thinking hard about it. Ottawa? Calgary? States?

PS. If you had to move, how important would it be to you to have an NHL/ AHL/ OHL/ WHL franchise where you go?
Good restaurants would be more important to me and with getting older access to hospitals

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer

a buddy just bought a condo (only four years old) in Edmonton, (including two parking spaces) for $198K.

He made out like a bandit selling his house in Hamilton. Our stupid city was invaded by outsiders (mainly GTA) causing our housing prices to 3x - 4x.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

I moved from Toronto to the states way back in 2002 and have visited twice since; 2010 and 2019. The city was almost unrecognizable to me in 2019. So many new condos and like you said, the insane congestion and ridiculous prices.

I thought about moving back from time to time but after my last visit, I realized it’s really not the same place I grew up. I guess I’m just getting older but man the city just seemed so foreign to me.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
If this is allowed, I thought it might help pass the time to have a safe haven where the same old Leaf thoughts aren't discussed.

I just placed my meat order for the next few weeks and as a public service I thought I'd share the link.

Woodward only ever sold to high end restaurants but over COVID, started selling by word of mouth to friends of employees.
That took off for them and now anyone can order.
They deliver anywhere in the GTA. Everything is great, really high quality and you won't get better Steaks delivered to your door.
I never freeze red meat but everything comes flashed frozen and once thawed you can't tell the difference.

Let me know if you're curious about a product and I'll let you know if I've had it. (Highly recommend the case of 20 Flat Iron steaks, stupid good)
I’m keeping fingers crossed my group gets a moose tag in second chance draw for our fly in trip so we can fill our freezer with yummy meat and walleye. Got a new bow too to chase deer with. I can’t believe how expensive meat is at grocery store. Mind you it would be cheaper for me to just buy half a cow and not hunt but that’s no fun. Lol.

Reactions: ACC1224

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013

I moved to Vancouver 25 years ago from Ontario. Never watch the Canucks, will always be a Leaf fan. When you move the Leafs follow you.

Reactions: Mr_Fun and HolyCrap

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
If this is allowed, I thought it might help pass the time to have a safe haven where the same old Leaf thoughts aren't discussed.

I just placed my meat order for the next few weeks and as a public service I thought I'd share the link.

Woodward only ever sold to high end restaurants but over COVID, started selling by word of mouth to friends of employees.
That took off for them and now anyone can order.
They deliver anywhere in the GTA. Everything is great, really high quality and you won't get better Steaks delivered to your door.
I never freeze red meat but everything comes flashed frozen and once thawed you can't tell the difference.

Let me know if you're curious about a product and I'll let you know if I've had it. (Highly recommend the case of 20 Flat Iron steaks, stupid good)
Love This thread. Been using this farm for years. Lovely family. Free range organic meats. Also get organic veggies & eggs through them. Excellent prices. Eggs are $3/dozen.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
For all yourBBQ needs

Solloways…. Provides all sausages, hot dogs for street vendors. Very reasonable

I moved from Toronto to the states way back in 2002 and have visited twice since; 2010 and 2019. The city was almost unrecognizable to me in 2019. So many new condos and like you said, the insane congestion and ridiculous prices.

I thought about moving back from time to time but after my last visit, I realized it’s really not the same place I grew up. I guess I’m just getting older but man the city just seemed so foreign to me.
The problem with Toronto is theirs no sentimentality. European countries keep their old historical buildings. Just maintain them. Toronto just tear ‘‘em Dow and build condos…. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
a buddy just bought a condo (only four years old) in Edmonton, (including two parking spaces) for $198K.

He made out like a bandit selling his house in Hamilton. Our stupid city was invaded by outsiders (mainly GTA) causing our housing prices to 3x - 4x.
I bought my first condo in 2002 for 198k on Bremner. Can you even buy a car for that anymore?

Maybe the mass exodus from Toronto will cause less congestion with most people taking the go train into the city. I can dream.

• Haha

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Woodward probably doesn't ship to BC and I don't think I'd want it if it was shipped here.

Sending the wife and son out to Toronto in 2 weeks to hang out with the daughter and her bf for a week. Flights for the two of them combined came to $900 which is pretty good from Vancouver Island.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I bought my first condo in 2002 for 198k on Bremner. Can you even buy a car for that anymore?

Maybe the mass exodus from Toronto will cause less congestion with most people taking the go train into the city. I can dream.

I bought a condo here in Cambell River BC for $93 000 (1996). Now it goes for $380 000 (maybe more). Prices have just gone insane out here.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I’ve seen these very cool, but I still don’t know if I would want it. I love the theory, but I have a hard time imaging it having all the things I want and the quality of finished I’d like. Dell actually has a prototype computer that is very similar but who knows if it’ll ever see market
I've been an asus xenbook fan for a few years. Things are evolving so much lately that I figure new brand has the best value proposition. Part of my recent renovations at home include laying cat 6a cable for 10gb network. I found a managed switch I can buy for as little as $700 bucks to support it. I can buy a NAS now for less about 1k that I can upgrade to that speed. Frame rates on monitors are frigging crazy. Everything is changing quickly and it's insane to cycle a full laptop cost every 2 years. They will eventually drag every vendor to this upgradeable right to repair paradigm if given support.
Just my 2 cents.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I just finished Zelda tears of the kingdom, it took me 2 months, games don't take me 2 months but there is SO MUCH to do, almost to much, If you told me there was to much to do, I wouldn't necessarily agree, but I'd understand, there is A LOT to do.

That being said it's a fantastic game my ONLY real complaint is the breakable weapons.

Beyond that it is incredible.
Currently playing.

Game is so so so good. I was skeptical at first when I realized they re-used the same map, but they way basically re-invented it and added the sky/abyss portions was fantastic. Currently at 70 hours played and I still have quite a bit to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad