Off-Topic Chat Thread

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I still think those CDs are going to be worth a lot some day.I've read somewhere VHS are starting to pick up value already, though I haven't verified.

I'm a collector in spirit too, though haven't applied it to the same extent.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Haha.... That's the living room. I can't keep her out of there.

I did my part to minimize obtrusiveness by building that slim shelf and swapping out all my jewel case for space saving sleeves.

:laugh: K.... so.... you have Spirits Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus?.... Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die?.... Jethro Tull Stand-Up?..... Brian Auger & Oblivion Express Open?... Goodbye Yellow Brick Road?..... Madman Across the Water?.... any Tom Rush, John Prine cd's.... uh?.. or is it all 80's ~ 00's?...

Reactions: Tarantula

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
.... Mother of God...... Tom Tom set.... column speakers..... you some kinda Stoner Maing? Prairie Boys. :rolleyes:

Haha! Not anymore. I never really was, I guess. But those drums, those are for PlayStation 3. My family is the last one in the world that still plays guitar hero and Rock band.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
:laugh: K.... so.... you have Spirits Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus?.... Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die?.... Jethro Tull Stand-Up?..... Brian Auger & Oblivion Express Open?... Goodbye Yellow Brick Road?..... Madman Across the Water?.... any Tom Rush, John Prine cd's.... uh?.. or is it all 80's ~ 00's?...

No but I have the full discographies of the Beatles, solo Beatles (yes even Ringo), Rolling Stones, Mick and Keef, Dylan, Floyd, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, U2, Radiohead, Cheap trick, Rush, Metallica, Oasis, nine inch nails, Megadeth, Rammstein, Matthew Good, the Mars Volta and many other personal favorites.

I like a lot of music but don't always have the attention span to dive into full catalogs on a regular basis. My next project will be Zappa. That will take me over a year.

But if I can't or don't want to get into am artist's full discography, I am always sure to cover that base with a compilation - typically 2CD, career spanning. That's what the whole top row is. Right from the early jazz, Blues, folk and country greats, up to newer stuff like the Trews and Coheed and Cambria, and everything significant from in between.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Seeing all those CDs I just miss my afternoons going straight to HMV to listen to some music and buy CDs.

That, and the video store.I watched more movies when I had to go to the store physically and rent them.

Reactions: Killion

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I still think those CDs are going to be worth a lot some day.

I'm in cd collector groups on Facebook and they like to think so as well. I'm not sure myself but also don't care that much.

Streaming may be up and album sales may be down, but I wouldn't project the future based only on what the masses are doing. hardcore music fans will always tend to prefer a physical copy.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm in cd collector groups on Facebook and they like to think so as well. I'm not sure myself but also don't care that much.

Streaming may be up and album sales may be down, but I wouldn't project the future based only on what the masses are doing. hardcore music fans will always tend to prefer a physical copy.

Even beyond hardcore music fans, a certain subset of humans just like old stuff.The power of nostalgia and even beyond nostalgia; wanting to own stuff from past eras and so on.In 2085 a bunch of CDs from the 1990s will be valuable by their scarcity and historical appeal alone.

But I know it's not why you do this.Money is not the main appeal for the mind of a real collector.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i take my kiddo to the record store and give him a dollar (actually $1.11). he gets to go home with a cd from the dollar bin.

meanwhile, used vinyl copies of fleetwood mac’s rumours, which when i was a teenager you could line that entire store’s floor with unsold $1 copies of, fly off the shelves for $15 a pop. what a world.

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Hm..I probably listened to Hardwire to Destruct twice or so, maybe I should re-visit.

Close enough. :naughty:

Further listens might or might not help - depends on a person. Of course it's way too long (like every Met album post TBA) and has a fair share of filler, but it has some of their best songs since the Loads, like "Halo On Fire", "Atlas Rise!" and "Spit Out The Bone". Death Magnetic was just a riff salad without any really good tunes imo (and that production, OMG).

On a deserted island?

That means I get the stars and the ocean?!

Give me jazz (eg., John Coltrane - A Love Supreme) and classical (eg., Beethoven Symphony No.9).

(I'd go mad hearing a song with the same lyrics a thousand times with no other linguistic references.)

My taste in jazz is very one-sided; it's basically all Miles Davis. Well, Miles AND Gil Evans, I love nearly all the stuff they did together, from Birth Of The Cool ("Moon Dreams", "Boplicity") to Sketches Of Spain. But Coltrane's (version of) "My Favourite Things" is superb (and boy, his 'licks' in that have been so much imitated later on!!!).

As for classical, luckily I have a more varied taste; Chopin, Debussy, Stravinsky, Ravel and Shostakovich are the huge favourites, not so much the 'big three' of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

A day off, wehey, so it's a few beers and some Finnish prog and proto-prog (Blues Section, Tasavallan Presidentti, Wigwam), and maybe some Swedish 'progg' (Hoola Bandoola Band :yo:).

Why wasn't this thread discovered earlier? I feel like an idiot (nothing new there).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Cannonball Adderley sounds like some hockey player from ancient times. "Who are the hardest shooters in the league? Most say it's either Bullet Joe Simpson or Cannonball Adderley..."

Indeed. As in Didier Cannonball Pitre (had an extremely hard shot)... One of the games early greats & one of the first to join the pro ranks playing for the IHL's Michigan Soo Indians.... also one of the first players signing with the Montreal Canadiens, his play & that of his linemates Jack Laviolette & Newsy Lalonde resulting in their being nicknamed The Flying Frenchmen, which of course scribes since have used to characterize the entire team, style of play. Member of the Montreal Canadiens' 1st Cup winning team in 1916 (NHA) . Cannonball inducted into the HHOF in 1963.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
i take my kiddo to the record store and give him a dollar (actually $1.11). he gets to go home with a cd from the dollar bin.

meanwhile, used vinyl copies of fleetwood mac’s rumours, which when i was a teenager you could line that entire store’s floor with unsold $1 copies of, fly off the shelves for $15 a pop. what a world.

Seriously, it's crazy. I've noticed the same thing. Also with Carole King's Tapestry.

I decided the vinyl craze (of which I am a devoted follower) was out of hand about 10 years ago. I went into a Barnes and Noble and saw Billy Joel's Greatest Hits for $30. You can pick that up used at almost any record store for like $4. At least you could back then. I don't know about now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Seriously, it's crazy. I've noticed the same thing. Also with Carole King's Tapestry.

I decided the vinyl craze (of which I am a devoted follower) was out of hand about 10 years ago. I went into a Barnes and Noble and saw Billy Joel's Greatest Hits for $30. You can pick that up used at almost any record store for like $4. At least you could back then. I don't know about now.

Yeah its gotten really nuts with the repressing of old chestnuts on the heavier gram/weight vinyl, retail price $30-40 + be it the Beatles Revolver or even a more modern reissue like The Verve's Urban Hymns. Brand new releases, new music even more. Like many I got rid of my original vinyl collection collected through the 60's & 70's in the 80's, switching to CD, then back to vinyl re-building what I'd essentially given away a decade earlier through the mid 90's & 00's, to this day really. CD's meanwhile, fallen out of favor... joke being "the only people who still buy them, new releases are Country & Western fans because they havent figured out how to download, music share on the internet and never will".... however like vinyl I think they'll make a huge comeback, all genres as there was much transferred to CD thats simply not available on vinyl nor on-line.... People complain that CD isnt as "warm" or tactile as vinyl however thats just not true if your using a good player, amp. And if you are going all vinyl, go audiophile gear or dont bother. Tube/solid state hybrid amp, seriously decent turntable with phono pre-amp, best cartridge/stylus you can afford, speakers same.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have a bunch of old complete TV series on DVD at home, that my uncle gave me.Series from the 60s/70s and the likes.I probably won't listen to most of it, looking to sell most of them.

One series that caught my attention was a huge box entitled Space: 1999.Being a Star Trek fan this looks decent.Anyone saw it?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have a bunch of old complete TV series on DVD at home, that my uncle gave me.Series from the 60s/70s and the likes.I probably won't listen to most of it, looking to sell most of them.

One series that caught my attention was a huge box entitled Space: 1999.Being a Star Trek fan this looks decent.Anyone saw it?

Oh yeah. The series. Marin Landau etc. Decent cast, storylines. Lots of eye candy with the womens outfits. Early versions of 7 of 9. My God. :eek:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Member of the Montreal Canadiens' 1st Cup winning team in 1916 (NHA) .

This series (1916 Stanley Cup finals) is also interesting regarding the "Western teams couldn't compete in the East" theory. Series was played in Montreal (not on Canadiens home rink the Jubilee Rink though, but at the Montreal Arena), and game 1, 3 and 5 were played under NHA rules, but the Canadiens, with 4 future HHOFers (Vezina, Laviolette, Pitre and Lalonde), still only managed to barely squeeze out a one goal victory in game 5 (2-1) against the Portland Rosebuds with only 2 future HHOFers on the team (Moose Johnson and Tommy Dunderdale), and while Tommy Dunderdale scored the most goals in PCHA history he isn't exactly regarded as a Cyclone Taylor or a top tier HHOFer, and he is certainly not a subject for the ongoing Top 100 Players in History list.

The two teams also picked off one game each under opposite league rules.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I still think those CDs are going to be worth a lot some day.I've read somewhere VHS are starting to pick up value already, though I haven't verified.

I'm a collector in spirit too, though haven't applied it to the same extent.

That depends... If people mistreat them like they mistreated old hockey cards, and only few are left in top notch condition, their price will skyrocket. I know many people took their entire CD collections and literally dumped those, as they were too lazy to pawn it for some ridiculous pocket change. On the other hand, plenty of people are too emotionally invested in music, they love physical artifacts and they won't let go as easily, keeping the price pretty low.

I think the last band whose original output really mooned were these guys.

I've read somewhere Kurt hated the idea of the pressing being limited to mere 1000 copies, and he especially hated that those were issued exclusively to the members of the Sub Pop Singles Club instead of going on sale. Whoever subscribed though hit a nice little jackpot.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I thought of this thread recently because I’ve been buying cassettes lately. I told myself that when tapes started coming back I wouldn’t be a part of that revival. Been there done that, I thought.

Yet I find myself regularly looking for them at thrift stores and buying them. Never more than $1, though. So far, anyway.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I thought of this thread recently because I’ve been buying cassettes lately. I told myself that when tapes started coming back I wouldn’t be a part of that revival. Been there done that, I thought.

Yet I find myself regularly looking for them at thrift stores and buying them. Never more than $1, though. So far, anyway.

Cassette's were HUGE, extremely popular back in the day and threatened vinyls supremacy, absolutely. Have a very unique sound signature that was way ahead of their time and very much akin to CD's when they first rocketed to preference, totally displacing vinyl. Huge deal as an artist when signed that your label guaranteed volumes in terms of cassette production as the return for the artist far more appreciable, lucrative.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Just recently I bought a small 'retro-boombox' with a CD-player, radio and cassette deck with recording function.

I have cassettes dating from the late 1980s/early 1990s, containing mostly songs recorded from radio or CDs but also some (radio) sketches and stuff. I don't plan on buying new cassettes per se, unless maybe empty ones (if I can even find them nowadays?) - I think CD will be my 'main format' until I kick the bucket - but it's still nice to know that it's possible to listen to the old tapes if one wants to.

I don't have VHS-tapes nor VCR anymore. For about ten years ago I made a conscious decision to get rid of them, but now I wish I hadn't, since there was some unique stuff there... and technically speaking, it would have been possible to copy from VHS to DVD, of course. But unfortunately I didn't bother.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Cassette's were HUGE, extremely popular back in the day and threatened vinyls supremacy, absolutely. Have a very unique sound signature that was way ahead of their time and very much akin to CD's when they first rocketed to preference, totally displacing vinyl. Huge deal as an artist when signed that your label guaranteed volumes in terms of cassette production as the return for the artist far more appreciable, lucrative.

I grew up with cassettes and cd's mainly, a little bit of vinyl, which was pretty much out by the time I started buying my own stuff. Cassettes sound worse than any other medium (not counting 8 tracks cause I don't know those) but I still like them.

My sister gave me her cassettes when I bothered her about them. She had typical 80's stuff like the Cure, R.E.M., the Smiths, good stuff. And of course Gordon Lightfoot.

Turns out she had almost every Faith No More album. I never even knew she liked them.

I had no idea about the label guarantees. Interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad