Off-Topic Chat Thread

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I see..... So, let me get this straight Johnny.... youve just survived either a plane crash or your ship/yacht going down with very likely some major loss of life... you somehow managed to survive, marooned on an uncharted island miles upon miles off course without really any hope of rescue whatsoever, slim to nil... no food, no matches, no nothing but for magically a Juke Box filled with your choices... no nickles required... and you wanna listen to the ever depressing near on suicidal Thom Yorke & Radiohead 's angst ridden, beyond gloomy warblings written by & for those who suffer from mood disorders, PTSD, societal detachment and other issues... on an island... with no food, no shelter, no hope of rescue?.... Right on. Excellent choice... Lets start with "How to Disappear Completely" followed by that poppy & upbeat number, the appropriately titled "High & Dry"... then as you weakly head for the beach, last swim or lie dying of malnutrition, starvation & depression, blind, 3rd degree sunburn.... "The Exit Song". I can diggit.....

I brought Sigur Ros along and Radiohead is depressing?

I suppose I have a particular taste in sonic aesthetics.

Reactions: GB and Killion

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
.... :laugh: just teasing Johnny. Love Radiohead. Actually a very good choice. Easily one of the best bands of the last 20+ years.
Well we can go further. Jandek has a discography of over 90 albums since the 70s, and his music makes Sigur Ros sound like Smash Mouth. Maybe I should bring that.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well we can go further. Jandek has a discography of over 90 albums since the 70s, and his music makes Sigur Ros sound like Smash Mouth. Maybe I should bring that.

..... I'd be ok with that. :thumbu: ... how about some Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll & Oblivion Express / The Trinity?

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Engine

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I see..... So, let me get this straight Johnny.... youve just survived either a plane crash or your ship/yacht going down with very likely some major loss of life... you somehow managed to survive, marooned on an uncharted island miles upon miles off course without really any hope of rescue whatsoever, slim to nil... no food, no matches, no nothing but for magically a Juke Box filled with your choices... no nickles required... and you wanna listen to the ever depressing near on suicidal Thom Yorke & Radiohead 's angst ridden, beyond gloomy warblings written by & for those who suffer from mood disorders, PTSD, societal detachment and other issues... on an island... with no food, no shelter, no hope of rescue?.... Right on. Excellent choice... Lets start with "How to Disappear Completely" followed by that poppy & upbeat number, the appropriately titled "High & Dry"... then as you weakly head for the beach, last swim or lie dying of malnutrition, starvation & depression, blind, 3rd degree sunburn.... "The Exit Song". I can diggit.....

Like some gloomy music from the British Isles?

By the way, from what I understand a lot of the angst in Radiohead's music has to do with cars/motor vehicles. Him (Yorke) and his girlfriend was in a car crash in 1987 which damaged his girlfriend's cervix. :confused: Thus songs like Airbag and Killer Cars. Airbag was actually originally titled Last Night an Airbag Saved My Life.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You want a terrible hot take that's partly true?

Radiohead became a big thing when posing as a Coldplay cover band trying to replicate Sonic Youth's sound circa EVOL and Sister.

(I know, Coldplay didn't even exist then)

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Alright, I'll give it a go.

Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Beggars Banquet
Tattoo You
Some Girls
Let it Bleed
Goats Head soup
It's only Rock and Roll
December's Children
Steel Wheels
Out of our Heads
A Bigger Bang
The Rolling Stones, now!
12X5
England's Newest Hit Makers
Emotional rescue
Blue and lonesome
Undercover
Their Satanic Magesties Request
Black and blue
Bridges to Babylon
Voodoo lounge
Dirty work

I'm gonna cheap out and do tiers instead of an actual ranking...these are subject to change weekly haha...

Tier 1:
Let It Bleed - no weak tracks for me. Even Keef's song is one of his better ones...
Sticky Fingers - Possibly my all time favorite song to kick it off...nothing real weak here either...the secondary tracks are stronger on Let It Bleed for my money...
Beggars Banquet - Came around on Parachute Woman and Stray Cat Blues as I got older, that's got this one on the rise...
Between the Buttons - This one is close to a tier down, and maybe it would be if you asked tomorrow...but it's unique in a positive way for me...that middle of this album is what pushes it for me, a lot of underrated tunes here..."Cool, Calm, Collected", "Who's Been Sleeping Here" chiefly among them..."Miss Amanda Jones" is the start of the 70's for them in some ways too...
The Rolling Stones Now! - This is a wall to wall winner for me...I don't think there's any weak tracks, maybe the first one...

Tier 2:
Some Girls - When the Whip Comes Down was my favorite song for a while this summer...the punk experiments don't quite hit with me enough to put this one in Tier 1, but it's awful close...
A Bigger Bang - First time through, I didn't love it...then it became a go-to...a lot of strong tracks for being so late in the game...
It's Only Rock 'n Roll - The first three songs on this album are just great. I came around on "Til the Next Goodbye" and then the late surge of "Dance Little Sister", "If You Really Want to be My Friend", and "Short and Curlies" makes up for "Fingerprint File" in my book...
Out of Our Heads - There's some high peaks to this that I think get glossed over..."Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man" and "The Spider and the Fly" are really good songs for me...I think if I got more out of the live version of "I'm All Right" and/or "Cry to Me" and/or "Play with Fire" this could be a first tier one too...but it doesn't have the depth of "Now!"
Exile on Main Street - First time through, my expectations were through the roof and I left a little disappointed. Over the years though, it has become a favorite...the introduction to gospel ("Just Want to See His Face" and "Let It Loose") sent me on a weeks long venture into gospel music outside the band that was very rewarding...
Aftermath - Here's some sacrilege: I don't love "Paint it Black" ...I did. But now, I'm not even 100% sure I know all the words to it, and I think I probably know every word to over a hundred songs, right down to the random noises that Mick makes on some tracks..."Flight 505" and "High and Dry" and "Going Home" are probably my favorites here...maybe even "Doncha Bother Me"...
Tattoo You - I don't like "Slave" or "Heaven" but the rest of the album is damn solid...one of Keef's best efforts too...

Tier 3:
Goats Head Soup - Starf***** and Hide Your Love and Silver Train are some of my favorites...but I don't care as much for Angie as most, it might be my least favorite popular song of theirs and I don't like Dancin with Mr. D to lead an album...
England's Newest Hitmakers - I'm a sucker for some of these old blues covers...this one though has fallen over time for me.
12 x 5 - Love "Around and Around" and "Under the Boardwalk" that's about the extent of it...
Black and Blue - Hated it first few times...but have come around to understand its value as a transition album. "Hand of Fate" was always good, so was "Crazy Mama"...but I'm really digging "Melody" (perhaps my favorite song this week), "Hey Negrita" and the promo version of "Fool to Cry" - the studio version on the album sucks though...
Emotional Rescue - Over the summer I really got a lot of mileage out of "Summer Romance", "Send it to Me", "Let me Go", and "Indian Girl"...they could have gotten more out of Indian Girl it wasn't written so poorly...there's some underrated tracks in here...but also a lot of slop...

Tier 4:
Blue and Lonesome - It took me years to warm up to A Bigger Bang, so I won't be surprised if that happens here...but this album didn't do anything for me...
Their Satanic Majesties Request - I'm just now, and I mean just now, starting to understand this..."On With the Show" is maybe the most interesting track for me...I always liked "Citadel"...it's still a weird-for-the-sake-of-weird effort for me...I mean, come on, Bill Wyman sings lead on one of these...
December's Children - Same as 12x5 but with more filler probably...I love "She Said Yeah" and "You Better Move on" and of course "Get Off My Cloud"...but the rest of the album is a pretty weak effort...though it was their third album in 1965 alone...
Bridges to Babylon - I actually found some tunes I liked here, this is actually almost up to Tier 3, which surprises and disturbs me...there's a lot of tracks that I can find some value in...the last five tracks I think are losers though which probably leaves a bad taste...
Steel Wheels - Closer to "butt" for me...but since I give "Hold On To Your Hat" and "Rock in a Hard Place" a pass, it keeps it out of the cellar...strong start to the album too. I'm told by my parents that the first song (any song from anywhere) that I learned all the words to was "Mixed Emotions"...

Butt:
Undercover - The first two songs are ok I guess...and there's one more towards the end that I think doesn't totally suck, maybe "Too Much Blood" but I'm not gonna re-listen to it to find out...
Voodoo Lounge - First concert live of theirs for me. "You Got Me Rocking" and a couple of others resonate...the rest is not good. Possibly their worst writing in their catalog...
Dirty Work - I actually started to listening to "One Hit" frequently in the last couple months...but it is aptly titled, as that's all the album produced with me...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm gonna cheap out and do tiers instead of an actual ranking...these are subject to change weekly haha...

Tier 1:
Let It Bleed - no weak tracks for me. Even Keef's song is one of his better ones...
Sticky Fingers - Possibly my all time favorite song to kick it off...nothing real weak here either...the secondary tracks are stronger on Let It Bleed for my money...
Beggars Banquet - Came around on Parachute Woman and Stray Cat Blues as I got older, that's got this one on the rise...
Between the Buttons - This one is close to a tier down, and maybe it would be if you asked tomorrow...but it's unique in a positive way for me...that middle of this album is what pushes it for me, a lot of underrated tunes here..."Cool, Calm, Collected", "Who's Been Sleeping Here" chiefly among them..."Miss Amanda Jones" is the start of the 70's for them in some ways too...
The Rolling Stones Now! - This is a wall to wall winner for me...I don't think there's any weak tracks, maybe the first one...

Tier 2:
Some Girls - When the Whip Comes Down was my favorite song for a while this summer...the punk experiments don't quite hit with me enough to put this one in Tier 1, but it's awful close...
A Bigger Bang - First time through, I didn't love it...then it became a go-to...a lot of strong tracks for being so late in the game...
It's Only Rock 'n Roll - The first three songs on this album are just great. I came around on "Til the Next Goodbye" and then the late surge of "Dance Little Sister", "If You Really Want to be My Friend", and "Short and Curlies" makes up for "Fingerprint File" in my book...
Out of Our Heads - There's some high peaks to this that I think get glossed over..."Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man" and "The Spider and the Fly" are really good songs for me...I think if I got more out of the live version of "I'm All Right" and/or "Cry to Me" and/or "Play with Fire" this could be a first tier one too...but it doesn't have the depth of "Now!"
Exile on Main Street - First time through, my expectations were through the roof and I left a little disappointed. Over the years though, it has become a favorite...the introduction to gospel ("Just Want to See His Face" and "Let It Loose") sent me on a weeks long venture into gospel music outside the band that was very rewarding...
Aftermath - Here's some sacrilege: I don't love "Paint it Black" ...I did. But now, I'm not even 100% sure I know all the words to it, and I think I probably know every word to over a hundred songs, right down to the random noises that Mick makes on some tracks..."Flight 505" and "High and Dry" and "Going Home" are probably my favorites here...maybe even "Doncha Bother Me"...
Tattoo You - I don't like "Slave" or "Heaven" but the rest of the album is damn solid...one of Keef's best efforts too...

Tier 3:
Goats Head Soup - Starf***** and Hide Your Love and Silver Train are some of my favorites...but I don't care as much for Angie as most, it might be my least favorite popular song of theirs and I don't like Dancin with Mr. D to lead an album...
England's Newest Hitmakers - I'm a sucker for some of these old blues covers...this one though has fallen over time for me.
12 x 5 - Love "Around and Around" and "Under the Boardwalk" that's about the extent of it...
Black and Blue - Hated it first few times...but have come around to understand its value as a transition album. "Hand of Fate" was always good, so was "Crazy Mama"...but I'm really digging "Melody" (perhaps my favorite song this week), "Hey Negrita" and the promo version of "Fool to Cry" - the studio version on the album sucks though...
Emotional Rescue - Over the summer I really got a lot of mileage out of "Summer Romance", "Send it to Me", "Let me Go", and "Indian Girl"...they could have gotten more out of Indian Girl it wasn't written so poorly...there's some underrated tracks in here...but also a lot of slop...

Tier 4:
Blue and Lonesome - It took me years to warm up to A Bigger Bang, so I won't be surprised if that happens here...but this album didn't do anything for me...
Their Satanic Majesties Request - I'm just now, and I mean just now, starting to understand this..."On With the Show" is maybe the most interesting track for me...I always liked "Citadel"...it's still a weird-for-the-sake-of-weird effort for me...I mean, come on, Bill Wyman sings lead on one of these...
December's Children - Same as 12x5 but with more filler probably...I love "She Said Yeah" and "You Better Move on" and of course "Get Off My Cloud"...but the rest of the album is a pretty weak effort...though it was their third album in 1965 alone...
Bridges to Babylon - I actually found some tunes I liked here, this is actually almost up to Tier 3, which surprises and disturbs me...there's a lot of tracks that I can find some value in...the last five tracks I think are losers though which probably leaves a bad taste...
Steel Wheels - Closer to "butt" for me...but since I give "Hold On To Your Hat" and "Rock in a Hard Place" a pass, it keeps it out of the cellar...strong start to the album too. I'm told by my parents that the first song (any song from anywhere) that I learned all the words to was "Mixed Emotions"...

Butt:
Undercover - The first two songs are ok I guess...and there's one more towards the end that I think doesn't totally suck, maybe "Too Much Blood" but I'm not gonna re-listen to it to find out...
Voodoo Lounge - First concert live of theirs for me. "You Got Me Rocking" and a couple of others resonate...the rest is not good. Possibly their worst writing in their catalog...
Dirty Work - I actually started to listening to "One Hit" frequently in the last couple months...but it is aptly titled, as that's all the album produced with me...

I knew you would do tiers!

We agree on most things.

Catch me on another day and I'd rank them fairly differently. Especially the first five, pre-Aftermath albums. Sometimes they are indistinguishable for me. You could make one OUTSTANDING album of Stones originals from those five, and another brilliant covers album from them, and toss out the remaining dozen songs.

They released just about as much material not on albums during that period, and I think I like it better if we're just pitting them against eachother song-by-song.

Surprised to see a tier separate Aftermath and BTB. To me, they are one and the same. Could have been a killer double album, I couldn't call it their white album, that would be Exile. But it's like their version of the Rubber Soul/Revolver combo. Soooo good.

I totally get what you're saying about Exile. Took me a long time to even get into my top five.

I really do like A Bigger Bang. I think I gave older stuff the benefit of the doubt over it when doing this ranking; didn't wanna make any major statements. It's been a couple years since my last listen, but I really liked it back in '05, played it nonstop. It could easily be 5 spots higher.

With every band there's that "next album" that comes out after you have bought up all their existing albums and fully absorbed them. I always find them either deeply satisfying or disappointing. I was disappointed in NIN's With Teeth, Loved McCartney's "New", disappointed in Metallica's Reload, hated Just Push Play, loved Black Sabbath's 13, Snakes and Arrows didn't grab me at all, How to Dismantle an Atomic bomb deeply disappointed me following ATYCLB, and perhaps most prominently, Lullabies to Paralyze was all I could play for much of the first half of 2005, it made me feel like getting into the whole QOTSA/Kyuss universe was so very worth it. Similarly, A Bigger Bang stood up very well right off the bat. I remember declaring it would be the last great Stones album, and to this point I am still correct.

Blue and Lonesome could have been excellent, and I know my old Blues and R&B more than any 37-year old white guy in Canada really should, but the song choices were deliberately obscure and made it harder to get into.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I think Fear of the Dark was pretty weak (except Afraid to Shoot Strangers which is great) as well. My favorite of Iron Maiden is Somewhere In Time, not a dull moment.

Bayley brought a darker element to Iron Maiden that I liked. But then again I prefer both Di'Anno and Bayley to Dickinson as singers. I get that Dickinson is technically a better singer but I've never been a fan of the more high-pitched style he has. Give me dark, raspy-ish voices.

I'd rank "Fear of the Dark" as their 2nd weakest. It's definitely inconsistent, but pretty enjoyable overall.

I like all three singers, they each bring something different (which is maybe why I like Maiden's catalogue so thoroughly - I know a lot of people seem to associate them solely with Dickinson).

What'd be the Metallica version in ice hockey? The four albums in the 80's were awesome, The Black Album pretty good IMO, Load is better than its reputation and Death Magnetic decent. Rest is garbage (or in the player's case of no note). Terry Sawchuk maybe?

Terry Sawchuk = Slayer. Sawchuk had those first five amazing seasons in Detroit, Slayer had those first five amazing albums that redefined the genre. Both had long careers after that, but almost all of their significant accomplishments were right at the beginning. Both have scars (Slayer from their lyrics, Sawchuk from his stitches). Both have one incomprehensible accomplishment, Slayer with the psychotic "Reign in Blood", and Sawchuk with going 8-0 and allowing just five goals en route to a Stanley Cup.

Original Sabbath had some fantastic albums and classic songs, but outside of a handful I think Ozzy was more of a hindrance than a help.

I don't know if you've heard Live Evil - it's Dio-era Sabbath. Sings a lot of stuff from Heaven and Hell and Mob rules (Heaven and Hell being my favorite Sabbath album), but a good bit of older Sabbath too. For some songs, Ozzy sounds better because it fits with the tone more, but I really loved Dio on War Pigs. Just made the song so much better in my opinion.

Good suggestion - I've seen the album many times (back in the day when I used to shop at vinyl record stores - I remember the demonic album cover). But I don't think I've ever listened to it from start to finish. I really should add that to my list.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Rated R, SFTD and Lullabies to Paralyze was quite a string of "delivering on very high expectations every single time".

Reactions: seventieslord

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Ironically enough the last choice I would ever have for the deserted island scenario would be the Beach Boys......

i have endless time for even later beach boys. through all the mike love crap you still get these amazing dennis wilson gems. the high moments of love you, for example. or i mean, something like la light is actually really great out of context.

and that’s a band whose great songs are so incredibly rewarding that i will sit through student demonstration time for anything on side b of surfs up.

Reactions: Tarantula

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
between the buttons is hard because do you get the original uk version? or the us version with let’s spend the night and ruby tuesday added?

front to back the us version is my fav stones album

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I generally like the Beach Boys, Good Vibrations certainly was a classic for a pop song, and they had some gems. Used to get the 8track going on the beach back in the day. Having said that, I wouldn't want to have just them if I was stranded all alone......... the ironic twist would be too much, sitting on a pristine Pacific beach, blue skies, and songs about beach parties and beautiful women while you are slowly going mad from the endless isolation.....:help:

Reactions: Killion

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I generally like the Beach Boys, Good Vibrations certainly was a classic for a pop song, and they had some gems. Used to get the 8track going on the beach back in the day. Having said that, I wouldn't want to have just them if I was stranded all alone......... the ironic twist would be too much, sitting on a pristine Pacific beach, blue skies, and songs about beach parties and beautiful women while you are slowly going mad from the endless isolation.....:help:

they have a song for that too...

Reactions: Tarantula

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
On a deserted island?

That means I get the stars and the ocean?!

Give me jazz (eg., John Coltrane - A Love Supreme) and classical (eg., Beethoven Symphony No.9).

(I'd go mad hearing a song with the same lyrics a thousand times with no other linguistic references.)

Some excellent post progressive rock bands that would be ideal, stargazing, isolation...
no lyrics so to speak of, vocals though... www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhXHH2sZlQU

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You get the US versions of both BTB and aftermath, and then also get Flowers.

70's collects vinyl?.... on top of the reams of The Hockey News & hockey books... crushing the life out of your shelving systems? :eek: .... you have a forklift in the house?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
70's collects vinyl?.... on top of the Hockey News & hockey books crushing the life out of your shelving systems? :eek:

Nope. No vinyl but I have 3800 CDs.
15445818180278883195638274852782.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad