OT: Off Topic 2019 part XIV - Days are getting shorter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Wednesday the veterans at work gave me the task of talking to management about once again people just slacking and being lazy on the floor. Talked to my manager about it, newer guy, he sort of weirdly smiled during what I was saying which sort of bugged me, Talked to him today and he brought up how he was out of it that day and asked me who was I talking about. I didnt say names cuz I never really do. He actually guessed the 2 people which left me curious. If management knows these 2 are an issue and continually slack why do they have them always working together? Kind of weird to me. However the manager with seniority is still on vacation and I am told they have already discussed this issue so when his vacation on the 5th is over I hope they crack down.

However on a Pay Day Friday management asked me to drive a double lift which means they must have wanted to the work to get done so they could enjoy their weekends. Weird that I am looked at as a good worker when they want stuff done yet they coddle these cry baby dudes who are lazy. Maybe its a seniority thing since both guys have been there 10+ years and really have no incentive to work fast since they're topped off.

Man and just checking my check I have like a few thousand hours to get topped off :laugh:

You continue to share stories where you don't realize you sound like the worst co-worker alive, and I for one love everyone one of them. Thanks for sharing.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Pup confirmed totally blind in one eye and just shadows in the other. Blood sugar still sky rockets quickly, they’ve now upped his insulin from 2 to 3 to 5 to 6 units. When this vial is gone they recommended switching to Glargine (sp?) which idk what it is but we shall see what happens.

Vet is amazed that pupper has gone this long with unknown severity of raging diabetes and he’s still as healthy as he is. She seems to believe that if we can get a dose that works better for him that it shouldn’t impact lifespan.

I'm so sorry :(

Hope the treatment works out. Dogs are the best thing ever, and I'm pulling hard for yours.

Reactions: eightspokedb

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
You continue to share stories where you don't realize you sound like the worst co-worker alive, and I for one love everyone one of them. Thanks for sharing.

I work in a "community" of workers where approximately 120 signatory contractors draw their talent from the roughly 6,000 member local electricians union. Not unlike the 31 NHL teams all draw from a single well-known talent pool. The players in the NHL know each other, and we know each other. If you give me a name, and I don't know him, I guarantee I know someone who does.

New guys join, old guys retire, and so it goes.

I've been in the electrical business for almost 20 years, and despite the large size of our union's 6,000 member pool, snitches; worms; suck-ups; thieves; rats; lazy bastards; and other undesirables get found out for who they are and the word gets around more than you think. Most of us work for multiple contractors over the course of a year, and after a while, you start seeing more and more guys you've worked with before, and your reputation as a good worker and a stand-up guy are of the utmost importance. When I worked in Texas during the Recession, my boss (who worked up here on the Big Dig) called his buddies here in Boston and asked around about me. Thankfully, he must have liked what he heard, because he made sure I stayed out of the sun for the two years I was down there. I tan like an Irishman.

What does any of this have to do with anything? As Mike alluded to, your reputation as a worker and a human are important both on the job and off. We all have bad days and don't always do the right things, but we should all strive to be "stand-up" men and women regardless of how our co-workers behave. People are ALWAYS watching and you never know just how far their reach can go.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I work in a "community" of workers where approximately 120 signatory contractors draw their talent from the roughly 6,000 member local electricians union. Not unlike the 31 NHL teams all draw from a single well-known talent pool. The players in the NHL know each other, and we know each other. If you give me a name, and I don't know him, I guarantee I know someone who does.

New guys join, old guys retire, and so it goes.

I've been in the electrical business for almost 20 years, and despite the large size of our union's 6,000 member pool, snitches; worms; suck-ups; thieves; rats; lazy bastards; and other undesirables get found out for who they are and the word gets around more than you think. Most of us work for multiple contractors over the course of a year, and after a while, you start seeing more and more guys you've worked with before, and your reputation as a good worker and a stand-up guy are of the utmost importance. When I worked in Texas during the Recession, my boss (who worked up here on the Big Dig) called his buddies here in Boston and asked around about me. Thankfully, he must have liked what he heard, because he made sure I stayed out of the sun for the two years I was down there. I tan like an Irishman.

What does any of this have to do with anything? As Mike alluded to, your reputation as a worker and a human are important both on the job and off. We all have bad days and don't always do the right things, but we should all strive to be "stand-up" men and women regardless of how our co-workers behave. People are ALWAYS watching and you never know just how far their reach can go.

Great post.
My Dad once said to me ‘ you enter this world and leave it with only one thing. Your own good name. Don’t tarnish it’.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I've been going through 6 tubs of CD's my sister gave me a while back when she, like many others, no longer had any use for them.

As a CD collector myself, I acknowledge streaming has won. But I had forgotten the simple joy of perusing CD's!

The cover art, liner notes, lyrics, having an actual disc in your hands, and most importantly, the fuller, richer sound.

I know, all of this is online, but for me it's just - different.

I'm also finding I'm more likely to listen to the deep cuts on an actual album. This also gives me more of an appreciation for the album as a whole as opposed to a few singles added to a playlist.

Right now I'm digging the deep cuts on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Damn the Torpedoes. I'm not surprised that was in my sister's collection, but yesterday I was jamming out on Poison's Flesh and Blood.

I love it but never pictured her a Poison fan.;)

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I've been going through 6 tubs of CD's my sister gave me a while back when she, like many others, no longer had any use for them.

As a CD collector myself, I acknowledge streaming has won. But I had forgotten the simple joy of perusing CD's!

The cover art, liner notes, lyrics, having an actual disc in your hands, and most importantly, the fuller, richer sound.

I'm also finding I'm more likely to listen to the deep cuts on an actual album. This also gives me more of an appreciation for the album as a whole as opposed to a few singles added to a playlist.

Right now I'm digging the deep cuts on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Damn the Torpedoes. I'm not surprised that was in my sister's collection, but yesterday I was jamming out on Poison's Flesh and Blood.

Tremendous post.

Too bad I can only “like” it once.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

In the late 50's into the 70's vinal had 2 competing formats - 33 and 45.

RCA/NBC bet heavily on 45's and CBS went all in on 33's.

Pop music was based on singles (45's) and 33's were more for Broadway cast albums and classical. That changed in 1967 with this

P6.jpg

Late 60's cassettes and 8 track entered the mix but vinal albums ruled into the mid 80's when CD's hit the market.

I remember vividly the first time I felt 'old' was at a record store in Westwood Village in LA in 1987. There were 3 'Valley Girls' across from me and one found a Beatles album and said to her friends 'I told you Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017

Pop music was based on singles (45's) and 33's were more for Broadway cast albums and classical. That changed in 1967 with this

P6.jpg

Late 60's cassettes and 8 track entered the mix but vinal albums ruled into the mid 80's when CD's hit the market.

I remember vividly the first time I felt 'old' was at a record store in Westwood Village in LA in 1987. There were 3 'Valley Girls' across from me and one found a Beatles album and said to her friends 'I told you Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings :rolleyes:

One of my wife's friends is a primary school teacher (I think your guys equivalent of elementary school?) and one day a few years ago she decided to give them a fun quiz that she found from her own school days. About 5 minutes into the quiz she noticed a lot of very confused looking children until eventually one kid finally raised his hand and asked "Miss, what's a Walkman?" :laugh:.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Went to the mall to get those shoes I posted. 2 stores and both the smallest sizes they had were 10 1/2
Tell you what, you're a few hours away from us....Let's meet in the middle.

I want to have a conversation with you about gratitude. ;)

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Started a new job with week....media director for a non-profit here. 15 minute commute. So far, so good.
I'm grateful. The employment landscape is rough down here and I did my consulting work from home as transition until I could find something almost full time. Took me a year, after about 1000 resumes and 7 interviews. The hours work so that I can maintain the independent clients I had acquired already.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wednesday the veterans at work gave me the task of talking to management about once again people just slacking and being lazy on the floor. Talked to my manager about it, newer guy, he sort of weirdly smiled during what I was saying which sort of bugged me, Talked to him today and he brought up how he was out of it that day and asked me who was I talking about. I didnt say names cuz I never really do. He actually guessed the 2 people which left me curious. If management knows these 2 are an issue and continually slack why do they have them always working together? Kind of weird to me. However the manager with seniority is still on vacation and I am told they have already discussed this issue so when his vacation on the 5th is over I hope they crack down.

However on a Pay Day Friday management asked me to drive a double lift which means they must have wanted to the work to get done so they could enjoy their weekends. Weird that I am looked at as a good worker when they want stuff done yet they coddle these cry baby dudes who are lazy. Maybe its a seniority thing since both guys have been there 10+ years and really have no incentive to work fast since they're topped off.

Man and just checking my check I have like a few thousand hours to get topped off :laugh:
you, my friend are being used big time. It`s never an easy conversation but prior to being in management, if I worked alongside of someone who wasn`t doing his/her part, I was rarely hesitant to pull them aside and let them know it. I work in the hospitality industry and all it takes is one person to disrupt the flow of service in a restaurant, if they aren`t doing their sh**, it will affect me and my wallet. I left management out of it because it`s the adult thing to do

If you have a management that is asking you to do the things you say your management team are doing, IMO, it`s time to find a new job

I`ve been in management role now for over a decade, never would I EVER ask a staff member to do this crap for me.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

No, YOU look at YOU that way. everything is a reflection of something inward.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Started a new job with week....media director for a non-profit here. 15 minute commute. So far, so good.
I'm grateful. The employment landscape is rough down here and I did my consulting work from home as transition until I could find something almost full time. Took me a year, after about 1000 resumes and 7 interviews. The hours work so that I can maintain the independent clients I had acquired already.

go get em and congrats!!!!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Wooooooooooooooo :hockey:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
you, my friend are being used big time. It`s never an easy conversation but prior to being in management, if I worked alongside of someone who wasn`t doing his/her part, I was rarely hesitant to pull them aside and let them know it. I work in the hospitality industry and all it takes is one person to disrupt the flow of service in a restaurant, if they aren`t doing their sh**, it will affect me and my wallet. I left management out of it because it`s the adult thing to do

If you have a management that is asking you to do the things you say your management team are doing, IMO, it`s time to find a new job

I`ve been in management role now for over a decade, never would I EVER ask a staff member to do this crap for me.

If I could pull one of these dudes aside and speak with them about their work ethic or how they arent carrying their weight I would. However we have this "bullying" and "threatening" policy and its very very like idk if this is the word but lenient. Meaning anything I say or whatever I say can be taken wrong. With these 2 sensitive lazy dudes Im trying to not get in trouble.

LOTS of drama between the 2 groups too. The vets I know and the Lazy guys. All have been here 10 plus years.

Like u said only 1 person can disrupt the flow which is why one co worker told me before he left that its not worth it to work as fast as I can because even if I do 4-6 orders on a truck 12-10 more have to be done and its not worth hurting yourself over.

IDK I wrote this when I just got off work and was ranting

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
If I could pull one of these dudes aside and speak with them about their work ethic or how they arent carrying their weight I would. However we have this "bullying" and "threatening" policy and its very very like idk if this is the word but lenient. Meaning anything I say or whatever I say can be taken wrong. With these 2 sensitive lazy dudes Im trying to not get in trouble.

LOTS of drama between the 2 groups too. The vets I know and the Lazy guys. All have been here 10 plus years.

Like u said only 1 person can disrupt the flow which is why one co worker told me before he left that its not worth it to work as fast as I can because even if I do 4-6 orders on a truck 12-10 more have to be done and its not worth hurting yourself over.

IDK I wrote this when I just got off work and was ranting
I suggest concentrating more on your quality of work and less about others.

All you do is come here and tell us that you go to management complaining about others.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

P6.jpg

The evolution of the music industry due to technology is very interesting. I can't say I'm an expert by any means, but now that streaming is the de facto go-to format, it seems like albums are again being deprioritized and singles are going to carry most of the weight again. It would have to take a really strong, deep, and intertwined album to hold listener interest when they can just click on through to the next hit song.

I grew up in a weird little window where vinyl was out of style - we didn't have any records or record players at home, but CD players were still too bougie and expensive, so cassettes (and radio) were my first music format, really up until I was about 14. And they were the worst. If you liked track 1 and 3 of an album but didn't care for track 2, you have to stop and fast forward until you got there and pray that the tape didn't get all unfurled while you did it - which only the end of a pencil could save.

I eventually inherited a bunch of old vinyl records (including some McCartney ones, actually) and found a second-hand record player and played around with them. The sonic quality is unmatched, but the novelty of it wore off after a short bit. Spotify or youtube are just more convenient.

My teenage years were CDs and DVDs, now both are pretty much defunct formats. Spotify and Netflix/Hulu changed everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce