OT: Off Topic 2019 part XII - The summer season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just sanded and stained my mahogany deck-6.5 hours every 3rd year. Thinking about ripping all the mahogany out for a composite,though I love wood.

The composite is a nice draw, being more maintenance free and such. I find they tend to squeak and squeal and just aren’t as solid as a well made wood structure.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'd love composite but the quotes we got were $24 - $26k to do our whole deck. Maybe someday when we have other projects that we want done completed, but I can't justify spending that much on a deck when we have so many other things we'd like to do.
I haven't priced it yet,but all I want is the deck boards and the best mahogany colored composite boards are $85 for 16 footers at Lowes,that would be about $1700 for my deck. I removed all the railings so the deck has a floating look.

Reactions: Spooner st

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The composite is a nice draw, being more maintenance free and such. I find they tend to squeak and squeal and just aren’t as solid as a well made wood structure.
I have noticed that on a friend's new deck,maybe I'll add stringers while the mahogany is stripped off.

Reactions: TD Charlie

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Rather than wait for Melrose to get its head out of its ass these people should contact their insurance company. If their policy covers it they can get the work done faster which is important because this is a major health hazard, never mind the smell & general ickyness.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Speaking of toilets.. Just went in to the bathroom at work. Someone followed me in, and when into a stall. I don't make eye contact when I go in.

I hear him lining the seat and THEN he flushes the toilet before starting. HELLO? splash factor???? START OVER.

God, I hate public bathrooms.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just want to take it off my chest - we are putting to sleep our pet ferret today. When we brought the little guy home at the age of eight weeks he was so scared and confused that he only slept when I held him (I guess he was smart enough to enlist the largest and meanest creature around as his guard). He quickly developed in an independent, incredibly smart, kind, funny and sarcastic creature who was bossing the dog 20 times his size around, but would lick his toy after biting it, so it wouldn't feel hurt. And now the only thing I can do for the little guy is to let him leave our family the same way as he was welcomed - in my arms.

My son and I are completely crushed. I haven't cried in decades, but cannot hold it together today.
Very sorry for your loss.

Losing a family member is so hard.

I haven't been on this thread for awhile.

Reactions: nazartp

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
just got the call, procedure to help fix my back takes place July 2nd, while it`s never fun having any procedure done, I`m shocked they were able to get me in this quickly, usually it`s a massive wait to get anything done quickly here. Thankfully this won`t put me on the IR, can still work but just on restricted schedule and I can still golf and really, isn`t that what`s it`s all about?:)
Good Luck Andrew !

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Speaking of toilets.. Just went in to the bathroom at work. Someone followed me in, and when into a stall. I don't make eye contact when I go in.

I hear him lining the seat and THEN he flushes the toilet before starting. HELLO? splash factor???? START OVER.

Not a fan of using the bathroom, and seeing/hearing an executive in our legal dept. skip the hand washing step.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not a fan of using the bathroom, and seeing/hearing an executive in our legal dept. skip the hand washing step.

In my old building, there was a guy in the center stall taking care of business while doing a phone interview. I literally f***ed with him the entire time because it was so bizarre but the dude on the call was unflappable. Never broke character despite my most graphic statements. Should have been hired on the spot for ignoring all the noise..

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My favorite are the women who think the bathroom is the appropriate place to gossip about a whole host of things.

The look of horror on their faces when someone from HR comes out from one of the stalls makes me laugh every time

Some people are just void of common sense and basic bathroom etiquette

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
My favorite are the women who think the bathroom is the appropriate place to gossip about a whole host of things.

The look of horror on their faces when someone from HR comes out from one of the stalls makes me laugh every time

Some people are just void of common sense and basic bathroom etiquette

Absolutely. One of the first things I learned when I was going into technology is to never discuss business or what you're doing in public places (bathroom, elevator, etc.) where you can be overheard. Lots of unintended information can be picked up that way

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

probably just me but i can only go into a stall if the whole restroom is completely empty, and it has to be the handicap stall farthest away from the door.

Reactions: TP and Alicat

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Absolutely. One of the first things I learned when I was going into technology is to never discuss business or what you're doing in public places (bathroom, elevator, etc.) where you can be overheard. Lots of unintended information can be picked up that way

As a sys admin, got asked to take a look at an odd issue for a ViP in finance. Unrelated to the issue, right on this VPs desktop, is an excel file titled passwords. And It was just an excel file with Account name in column A, password in Column B.

Now we have enforced locks so the computer goes to sleep after a minute or two of non action. But still. All it would take someone is a minute to copy all their info.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad