OT: Off Topic 2019 part VI - Winter is no longer coming - IT HAS ARRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Well, the branch renovation is done to a tellerless/cashless branch.

I tried to keep an open mind.

It's awful.

Everything you guys said about it a few months ago when I posed the question, are exactly the concerns that people have expressed.

RIP me.

Reactions: Fenway and BMC

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

It's awful.

Everything you guys said about it a few months ago when I posed the question, are exactly the concerns that people have expressed.

RIP me.

That sucks. I hope you don't mean your job is on the line!!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

It's awful.

RIP me.

That sucks. I still prefer cash transactions with actual people. Machines can not adequately replace that person to person interaction no matter how hard they try.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Seeing Charlie and the chocolate factory tomorrow night. Any dinner recommendations for downtown crossing? I’m leaning Salvatore’s, but I’ve been there many times.

Legal Crossing, Smith & Wollensky, Fleming’s, anyone have a must try in the area?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Mine personally? No, I manage the location.

Wouldn't shock me if they relocated/let go of someone though since we already have too many staff as is.

Glad to hear you’re ok but, like I mentioned before, I hate the idea of people losing their jobs to what is, in my opinion, unnecessary automation.

Look what State Street is doing:

State Street lays off 1,500 employees

Hate seeing this crap

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Man demands large novelty check for $1 lottery win

lottery-47fe-e1547837949723.jpg

Typer Heep was not awarded a life-changing amount of money from a scratch-off ticket he bought in Urbandale, Iowa – but wanted everyone to know he was winner. Heep took the one dollar lottery ticket to the Iowa state lottery headquarters in Des Moines and requested a giant check so he could imitate a jackpot winner.

Man who won $1 on lottery ticket demanded he be paid winnings by massive check | Metro News

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Man demands large novelty check for $1 lottery win

lottery-47fe-e1547837949723.jpg

Typer Heep was not awarded a life-changing amount of money from a scratch-off ticket he bought in Urbandale, Iowa – but wanted everyone to know he was winner. Heep took the one dollar lottery ticket to the Iowa state lottery headquarters in Des Moines and requested a giant check so he could imitate a jackpot winner.

Man who won $1 on lottery ticket demanded he be paid winnings by massive check | Metro News

Stinking Rich’ was written in the memo portion of the check and the whole incident proves that lottery officials can have a great sense of humor. Heep took a photo with the check in front of the Iowa lottery banner like he had just won a million dollars – even though his winnings more closely resemble pocket change.

With his underwhelming jackpot, Heep said he bought a ‘half a gallon of gas,’ last week, which may have covered his fuel expenses for his trip to the lottery headquarters.

:laugh:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Glad to hear you’re ok but, like I mentioned before, I hate the idea of people losing their jobs to what is, in my opinion, unnecessary automation.

Look what State Street is doing:

State Street lays off 1,500 employees

Hate seeing this crap
I will say in banking, there's a lot of stuff that can (should be) automated, if only just to speed processing times up.

That being said, it's really a shame for the youth coming up that they can't go get a job at McDonald's or something and learn some people skills, some work ethic, etc., because those jobs are all going to be automized.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I wonder if the weather's going to cause them to cancel the Bruins game tomorrow. So far, it looks like snow starting in the Boston area at around 11 PM, 1"-2" per hour for 6 hours. Rescheduling would be close to impossible: the Bruins bye week is from 1/20-1/24, followed by the league shutdown on 1/25-1/27 for the ASG. On 1/28, the Garden is booked by the Celtics. Rest of January is filled if you want to avoid 3-in-a-row.

Assuming we want to avoid 3-in-a-row, 4-in-5, ridiculous coast-to-coast-to-coast travel, and domino effect scheduling:

February availability for the Bruins is 2/1, 2/24, and 2/25. And 2/22 I guess, if you want a Vegas-Boston-STL flight pattern. The Garden is booked all of those nights (Eric Church and Disney x2) except for 2/25, and 2/25 causes a 3-in-a-row for the Rangers.

March isn't better. Bruins have 3/3, 3/4, 3/17, 3/18, and 3/28 available. Rangers can't do any of those dates without a 3-in-a-row or 4-in-5.

April won't work on any day for the Bruins until 4/7, which would be the day after the regular season is scheduled to end. (We did this exact thing last year.) But even that's no good for the Rangers - the earliest possible game would be Monday 4/8, with playoffs for both teams probably pushed to Friday when they'd normally start on Wednesday/Thursday.

Of course, they can break rules: maybe there's an easy way to shift one game to make an opening. The Celtics were flexible last year in moving their game so we could play our season closer. And 3-in-a-row isn't unprecedented - I think Carolina and/or Detroit had to do it when there was an ice problem at an arena. But both teams got the 3-in-a-row, so it was fair.

But it'll definitely make them more hesitant to cancel the game. It's a big NYC-BOS moneymaker on a weekend - outright cancellation will make many people - fans and owners - mad. That said, if the weather's bad, I do hope they cancel it.
Rangers game ends well before 11 pm doesn't it if it's a 7 pm start worse case scenario 10-10:30 I'D BE MORE WORRIED IF THERE WAS AN event Sunday at TD Garden, which there's not, as the Celtics play Monday night.

Reactions: McGarnagle

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Rangers game ends well before 11 pm doesn't it if it's a 7 pm start worse case scenario 10-10:30 I'D BE MORE WORRIED IF THERE WAS AN event Sunday at TD Garden, which there's not, as the Celtics play Monday night.

Yup, that's what I was thinking - that, combined with the difficulty of rescheduling the game (made worse because of the NHL's new "bye week" policy that compresses the schedule), will make them way more likely to play. Of course, if you're a putting on a public event and there's a storm coming, you also have to give people time to get back - if I'm at a 7 PM game, and the game ends at its usual 9:45 time, I'm usually home right around 11 PM after taking the T and driving home. Folks who make a "long trek" (ie 90-120 minute drive) may have a much tougher commute.

Stay safe, everyone, and enjoy your French toast and milk sandwiches! The good news is I noticed WCVB bumped their estimate for snow Saturday night from 6-12 inches to 4-8.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yup, that's what I was thinking - that, combined with the difficulty of rescheduling the game (made worse because of the NHL's new "bye week" policy that compresses the schedule), will make them way more likely to play. Of course, if you're a putting on a public event and there's a storm coming, you also have to give people time to get back - if I'm at a 7 PM game, and the game ends at its usual 9:45 time, I'm usually home right around 11 PM after taking the T and driving home. Folks who make a "long trek" (ie 90-120 minute drive) may have a much tougher commute.

Stay safe, everyone, and enjoy your French toast and milk sandwiches! The good news is I noticed WCVB bumped their estimate for snow Saturday night from 6-12 inches to 4-8.
ours has been consistent 12-18" but remember, the new pedestrian tunnel is open isn't it

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
ours has been consistent 12-18" but remember, the new pedestrian tunnel is open isn't it

Yup, for the record, for the snowfall, I was talking about literally the city of Boston. And, yes, the new pedestrian tunnel is open...but it's for wimps. :D I think from the T, going up the new Grand Escalator is quicker. But, yeah, if it's raining or heavily snowing, I recommend groundhogging it. Both options are WAY better than what they set up for the past year and a half or so.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad