OT: Off Topic 2018 part III - Here comes the heat again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Our smoke alarm just went off for seemingly no reason and woke us up out of a dead sleep.

I have no idea how I’m going to fall back asleep.

Holy shit.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can't wait for Brian Leetch night.

Jagr's retirement ceremony is probably still 20 years away.
What comes first Jsgr’s first playoff goal with the Bruins or his jersey retired.

They should name the Selke the Julien. Only guy to ever shutdown Jagr and Seguin - and Wheeler for that matter.

Jeremy Reich in over Kessel still one of most insane moves in Boston coaching history- and what did Reich do? Called for a penalty in overtime in Montreal the Habs scored in to win game. A garbage call but it was Reich and the refs didn’t give him a break.

Reich and Daugevins in the biggest stage while Kessel, Soderberg, and Spooner sit

Montreal fans will never see a playoff game with Julien coaching which is probably a good thing

Reactions: EverettMike

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Our smoke alarm just went off for seemingly no reason and woke us up out of a dead sleep.

I have no idea how I’m going to fall back asleep.

Holy ****.
Batteries?

I’ve had it happen with the carbon monoxide detector before. Triggered one hell of a panick attack.

Hope you were able to finally get back to sleep.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Update ???

Took about an hour and a half but finally fell back asleep. Since it happened, I learned a few friends have had the same issue so that makes me feel a little better. Going to replace the batteries and hope that fixes it. I was ready to drop $300 on new Nest alarms but should probably try the $10 batteries first.

Of course I googled it and learned it could be anything from batteries to humidity to spiders to ghosts, so that was fun.

If it was just the alarm that would have been scary enough but my husband jumped out of bed without his glasses and yelling that something was on fire because he thought he saw smoke...but his vision was just hazy because he can’t see shit.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Took about an hour and a half but finally fell back asleep. Since it happened, I learned a few friends have had the same issue so that makes me feel a little better. Going to replace the batteries and hope that fixes it. I was ready to drop $300 on new Nest alarms but should probably try the $10 batteries first.

Of course I googled it and learned it could be anything from batteries to humidity to spiders to ghosts, so that was fun.

If it was just the alarm that would have been scary enough but my husband jumped out of bed without his glasses and yelling that something was on fire because he thought he saw smoke...but his vision was just hazy because he can’t see ****.

Oh dear! The smoke detector is the only thing in the world that freaks out my dog. (Not thunder, fireworks, guns, etc.) Even on TV. Even the intermittent low battery beep. I wonder if there was something in his life-before-us that triggered it or if it’s just damn annoying.

Close your door and take a nap this afternoon.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

If it was just the alarm that would have been scary enough but my husband jumped out of bed without his glasses and yelling that something was on fire because he thought he saw smoke...but his vision was just hazy because he can’t see ****.
Note to self never google smoke detectors or anything medical.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Alex Trebek, says he may leave 'Jeopardy!' in 2020, suggests 2 replacements | Boston.com

Alex Trebek, the host of “Jeopardy!” since 1984, stoked speculation Monday that he could retire when his contract expires in 2020, telling TMZ that his chances of staying longer were “50-50, and a little less.”

The absence of Trebek, 78, would fundamentally alter the lightning-fast trivia show, which relies on his steady delivery to keep the pace humming. His comments to TMZ were far from conclusive, and fans have long guessed who his replacement might be only to see him renew his contract again. But this time he suggested two people he saw fit to replace him — neither of whom had been on the radar of most fans.

He first mentioned Alex Faust, the play-by-play announcer for the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings. On Twitter, Faust appeared to be surprised but grateful for the plug.

Trebek then suggested Laura Coates, a legal analyst and frequent on-air personality for CNN. She said on Twitter that she was “incredibly honored and humbled.”

Both candidates veered significantly from the usual names on fan shortlists: At 28, Faust is young and relatively unknown nationwide. Coates is neither white nor a man.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Some beautiful lightning out here. No thunder. Last few weeks weather wise have been weird here.
We had some great lightning displays a couple of nights ago (Saturday night I think). That's something I remember from living in the desert out west, the lightning can be tremendously beautiful.

Last night, a haboob rolled through. Blew over the trash cans @Kovi took out to the curb, blew some stuff into the pool. Lost power for about four hours. Always while I'm away...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Batteries dying is only one way to have them trip out. Far more common is dust or a spider crawling around inside and making it go off. I've even had them go off because of a skunk spray. One of the places we used to rent had a dirt floor and a den of skunks dug in and took over. They'd spray and the alarm would trip like clockwork. Moved out of that place ASAP once the skunks moved in.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The newest member of Blackhawks Hall of Fame :rant:

37984109_2156556297707636_9111217963876220928_n.jpg

This is so wrong on so many levels that I don't know where to begin :madfire:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Batteries dying is only one way to have them trip out. Far more common is dust or a spider crawling around inside and making it go off. I've even had them go off because of a skunk spray. One of the places we used to rent had a dirt floor and a den of skunks dug in and took over. They'd spray and the alarm would trip like clockwork. Moved out of that place ASAP once the skunks moved in.

Yeah we'll replace the batteries and hit it with some compressed air to clean in out.

Our cleaning lady came by yesterday, I wonder if there was more dust in the air than normal. But she was there in the afternoon, and this happened around 11:30, so not sure how it could be related. You never know, though.

It was scary as hell. More my husband yelling that something was on fire than the alarm, but the alarm was plenty scary. I have a really sensitive nose and didn't smell smoke, so should have been comforted by that but I was too freaked out to think that logically. I feel a lot better knowing this is a relatively common occurrence.

Reactions: LSCII

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I install solar for work and deal with very tall ladders on a daily bases, and then last night I was in my yard trying to trim a branch up on my 6ft wooden A-frame ladder... I overreached and the ladder tipped on me and collapsed on my left knee... spent the whole night in the ER, xrays came back negative but I can barely walk.

They told me to make an appointment wiyth my orthopedic surgeon and if it doesn't get better soon, I will need an MRI:rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just cant believe I got bit by my little a frame ladder with the experience i have

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I install solar for work and deal with very tall ladders on a daily bases, and then last night I was in my yard trying to trim a branch up on my 6ft wooden A-frame ladder... I overreached and the ladder tipped on me and collapsed on my left knee... spent the whole night in the ER, xrays came back negative but I can barely walk.

They told me to make an appointment wiyth my orthopedic surgeon and if it doesn't get better soon, I will need an MRI:rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just cant believe I got bit by my little a frame ladder with the experience i have

Good luck. Knee injuries are no fun at all. I tore an ACL and MCL 8 years ago and had another incident earlier this month. I might be in the same situation as you with having to get an MRI to see what's damaged this time. Until I see a doctor, I do not go a step without wearing this these days:

That's already saved me a ton of strains and tears. I highly recommend it

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Good luck. Knee injuries are no fun at all. I tore an ACL and MCL 8 years ago and had another incident earlier this month. I might be in the same situation as you with having to get an MRI to see what's damaged this time. Until I see a doctor, I do not go a step without wearing this these days:

Thanks! Yea I have a brace similar to those and the ER also discharged me with a knee immobilizer
That's already saved me a ton of strains and tears. I highly recommend it

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad