OT: Off Topic 2018 part III - Here comes the heat again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I’m running a 5k today.

It’s hot. It’s humid. I went to Pearl Jam last night.

I’d like to hire someone to follow me on course with a puke bucket

Reactions: rfournier103

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
So last night I was going to go play xbox1 in my setup gaming area, it was dark and I tripped over a pair of slippers and half fell sideways and put my elbow through my TV... I'm completely fine but I totally destroyed my TV within a split second...

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
46" that I bought about 8 months ago.

Good excuse to buy a new tv, but looking back it was kind of comical.. I may have had a few drinks, and I was in between nhl games with all my nhl friends on xbox, and they all heard me fall in the party chat. :laugh:

You'll just have to get something bigger this time around.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I need to elbow my 400-lb, 11-year-old giant box TV that's in my bedroom, so I have an excuse to replace it. :laugh:

It reminds me of the humongous Zenith tv we had growing up. You had to flip the on off switch about twenty times to get it to start up without any zigzag lines, after it warmed up for about two minutes. It also had very large bunny rabbit ear antennas that extended past the door to our basement, and you had to remember to knock on the door before coming out of the basement or you might knock the whole contraption on the floor, or at least seriously ruin the reception. :biglaugh:

Those were the days. :)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Anybody remember what the previous name of Whiskey Priest was?

A good friend of mine was back in Boston a few months ago made a telling remark after I told him you won't believe how this city has changed since you went to school here. He replied 'My daughter was complaining how the Boston she went to school in had changed'. She graduated in 2017.

Whiskey Priest patrons soak up final moments

090218WhiskyPriestjm06.jpg

Boston drinkers made a pilgrimage to the Seaport yesterday to administer last rites to Whiskey Priest, which was formally shuttered last night.

“I’m here to have one last beer,” Brittany Readel said as she headed inside.

The 8-year-old Whiskey Priest wasn’t very old as Boston bars go, but it quickly became popular with its harborside roofdeck and city skyline view — before that was shut off by the booming district’s condo and office towers. People knocking back a few last beers yesterday said they mourn its closing because it’s the only casual, affordable joint in the ever-more-pricey area.

“There’s no more neighborhood spots around here,” said Joe Shutt, who used to come to the Priest with his wife when they worked at the World Trade Center nearby.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
So on Saturday I ordered a small pocket AM/FM radio for the hockey games and I enjoy talk radio. So living here by the lakes it is nice to have a decent radio. I got it today and am amazed at the channels I can pull in with it. I am actually pulling WTIC in conecticutt and the Boston channels as well. I got it for $19.97 and its a Sony. It pulls in more than my $160.00 shortwave radio.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
There is. Beachcomber in Weklfleet that was a great time in the day - probably haven’t been in 20 years but I’ve had my share of Rumrunners in that place

Nice, in Gibson`s now, did the touristy thing and hit Molly`s Reach with the bride and mother in law today. Gonna hit the links tomorrow, another day of rental clubs which I`ll use as my excuse. They said they have lefty rentals but they only have Strata clubs....no clue what they are like or will be like, don`t care, just gonna be good to get out.

Off to our final destination of Sooke on the Island on Wednesday, my father in law made sure the clubs are at his house and not in storage like much of the rest of our stuff so should be golfing no later than Friday

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was there 2 years ago :cry:

Brazil Museum Fire Leaves Ashes, Recrimination and Little Else

RIO DE JANEIRO — The stately national museum, once home to Brazil’s royal family, was still smoldering at sunrise on Monday when scores of researchers, museum workers and anthropologists began gathering outside, dressed in black.

Some sobbed as they began taking stock of the irreplaceable losses: Thousands, perhaps millions, of significant artifacts had been reduced to ashes Sunday night in a devastating fire. The hall that held a 12,000-year-old skeleton known as Luzia, the oldest human remains discovered in the Americas, was destroyed.

Hundreds of residents joined them beneath an overcast sky that matched the national mood. They had come not only to mourn but also to protest Brazil’s near-abandonment of museums and other basic public services. Many saw the fire as a symbol for a city, and nation, in distress.

“It’s a moment of intense pain,” Maurilio Oliveira, who has worked as a paleoartist at the National Museum of Brazil for 19 years, said as he stood in front of the ravaged building. “We can only hope to recover our history from the ashes. Now, we cry and get to work.”

Just a few years ago, Rio de Janeiro appeared to be on the cusp of a golden era. As it prepared for the 2016 Olympics, the city underwent a multibillion-dollar transformation. Real estate prices soared, the public transit system was revamped and cranes towered over much of the city.

It was supposed to be Brazil’s shining moment on the world stage. Instead, a vast corruption scandal that has tarred countless national figures, combined with a devastating recession, set in motion a period of political instability. Soon, those dreams seemed little more than a mirage.
In recent years, state and city governments in Brazil have failed to pay police officers and doctors on time. Public libraries and other cultural centers have shut down. The ranks of the unemployed and homeless have swelled.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
So on Saturday I ordered a small pocket AM/FM radio for the hockey games and I enjoy talk radio. So living here by the lakes it is nice to have a decent radio. I got it today and am amazed at the channels I can pull in with it. I am actually pulling WTIC in conecticutt and the Boston channels as well. I got it for $19.97 and its a Sony. It pulls in more than my $160.00 shortwave radio.
That's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad