Off the board picks that worked out well

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Bo Horvat, now in hindsight it wasnt THAT big of a reach but Nichushkin, Shinkaruk, Domi, Wennberg, Lazar, Zadorov etc available

The hockey news had him at #21
Craig Button had him at 19

Among fans, it was a reach, the boards were laughing at the Canucks for trading Schneider and taking Horvat.

You think Hayton or Dellandrea could be this years Horvat?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
OEL, like almost every other name in this thread so far, was not a reach. He was a guaranteed top 10 pick, you can probably argue that every team after AZ would have taken him had the Yotes not done so first.

Karlsson was somewhat off the board. Most agencies had him as a late 1st or early 2nd (including ESPN, THN, TSN and others).

Morin and Fiala were similar (both ranked as late 1sts, went 11th).

Reactions: exporta and Graves

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Alex Goligoski was something around the ~170th ranked North American skater when the Pens took him 61st in 2004. That pick has paid off massively for the Pens, both with Goligoski himself turning into a solid second pairing defenseman himself and the haul he was eventually traded for (end result: Patric Hörnqvist).

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
He wasn't a reach. As I recall (way back in 2008/9) the Oilers had a jersey with his name on it, but had to settle for Cogliano a single pick later.
He was ranked as a 2nd rounder so in comparison to pre-draft rankings, you could argue that Oshie was a reach. Granted, an NHL team's list will differ greatly from the consensus, but not many were expecting Oshie to be selected in the 1st round.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
P-L Dubois, arguably because all the hockey media world had Pulju at 3.

Also Sanheim was considered a reach in 2014. Silfverberg too in 2009 if I remember correctly.

IIRC I don't think Sanheim at #17 was really much of a reach. Bit of a late riser but he was ranked between 15-25 on most lists, with the odd one having him higher or lower.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When Boston drafted Sergei samsonov I was like “huh? Who? I’m only 8 I don’t know about this” But it worked out pretty good

DSC05329.jpg

Samsonov was expected to be a top 5/6 pick that draft, it was a big surprise that he dropped to #8. Before the season, most people thought he'd be in the conversation for #1.

Reactions: Critical

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Michael Grabner was ranked in the second round in 2006 when the Canucks took him at 14. He turned out pretty well compared to the remainder of that first round, Giroux notwithstanding.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I can’t seem to find a video of Oshie getting drafted in 2005, but the HF blues prospect thread for him was titled “who is T.J. Oshie?”. Can’t find that either. I just remember everybody being like “wtf?” when that pick was made. Ended up being a very solid pick for a late first rounder.
You joined in 2007. Care to correct your "story" pal :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad