Salary Cap: Off Summer News Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's doing all kinds of extra perspiration this offseason. That's one of the things they complained about, he would say he only skated a few times and would fish and whatnot, and that would enrage the Toronto-ites.

I imagine he'll work out like never before, be faster than ever, and miss 40 games with various injuries this year. Thanks Obama.

Not quite. He said he worked out, but only skated a few times. The Toronto media (who are absolutely insane) took that to mean he didn't do jack **** and spent the summer fishing. I bet if you asked him today, he would still say he's only skated a few times. Actual skating is likely the least important part of their offseason training - unless there's something specific about their staking that they're working on. Sounds odd considering that they're hockey players and all... but them getting into shape is going to be more about conditioning and strength training. Some hockey skills will enter into it obviously, but I suspect that guys at this level can do 90% (or more) of their offseason training off the ice.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Still shoots an Easton S19 stick I see. You can't even buy those anymore. Great stick though, the oval shaped taper made for a really nice snap to wristers.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Was sitting in traffic on the way back from work and it came to me...

There's no one in the league better than Kessel off the rush (Sans Crosby) And there's no one better than PH around the net. JR added those guys in one calendar year. Both guys are now slotted in their proper roles on a good team.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Was sitting in traffic on the way back from work and it came to me...

There's no one in the league better than Kessel off the rush (Sans Crosby) And there's no one better than PH around the net. JR added those guys in one calendar year. Both guys are now slotted in their proper roles on a good team.

As good as Sid/Hornqvist was last season, this is why I've finally come around to Sid/Kessel and Malkin/Hornqvist. The damage Sid and The Phil can do on the rush together will be devastating. Meanwhile Hornqvist doesn't need the puck on his stick to be effective, which suits Geno's puck control game. The key is getting a guy with Sid and Phil that can work around the net and dig pucks on the LW, and a guy with Malkin and Hornqvist that can shoot from range and take some pressure off of Geno advancing the puck. The 3rd wheel with Sid/Phil should be the winner of Kunitz/Dupuis/Plotnikov in camp, and with Geno/Hornqvist should be Perron, hands down.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't pretend to know how kessel is going to do this year, but I have a feeling I wouldn't want to be Toronto when we play them there... The fictional Ovechtrick is about to be officially the Kessel Dog trick...

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
As good as Sid/Hornqvist was last season, this is why I've finally come around to Sid/Kessel and Malkin/Hornqvist. The damage Sid and The Phil can do on the rush together will be devastating. Meanwhile Hornqvist doesn't need the puck on his stick to be effective, which suits Geno's puck control game. The key is getting a guy with Sid and Phil that can work around the net and dig pucks on the LW, and a guy with Malkin and Hornqvist that can shoot from range and take some pressure off of Geno advancing the puck. The 3rd wheel with Sid/Phil should be the winner of Kunitz/Dupuis/Plotnikov in camp, and with Geno/Hornqvist should be Perron, hands down.

I agree. Perron/Geno/Horns is the Malone/Geno/Sykora line on Cheat mode (albeit it the wing roles reversed.) Geno needs a net crasher and a player who can shoot and create some space for himself. That's exactly what this line would do. Look at Kunitz and Neal with Geno. You had a net crasher/dirty work player and a sniper. That's the most effective recipe to make Malkin successful.

Do I think Kessel would work with Geno? Sure. Will I be upset if that's where he ends up? Absolutely not. I do think Kessel with Sid and Perron/Horns with Geno are the best fits though. And I think that's a decent top 6.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I have a couple of concerns with a Crosby/Kessel and a Malkin/Hornqvist tandoms. And it's about the LWs on those lines. Other than Dupuis I'm not sure we have someone fast enough to get in on the forecheck and solid enough defensively to cover for Kessel - who lets be honest can be okay defensively but for the most part is meh. And that extends to Malkin/Hornqvist. Yes they were very effective offensively last year - however they were also scored on more than Crosby/Hornqvist. And playing Perron on the other wing likely wouldn't help matters at all.

I almost wonder how Hornqvist and Perron would play if both played on their off wing. The issue there is that Perron is a better LW then RW, and Johnson has said that PH is a RW (and likely should be). But honestly, if PH could play LW, that would solve some issues. Crosby would still be doing a ton of the work defensively, but with either Kunitz or perhaps BB (RW, DP-LW) on Malkin's wing, Malkin would at least have someone who could help him a little on the defensive side. That said I've yet to see anything from BB that says he's a top 6 player.

Hornqvist - Crosby - Kessel
Kunitz/Plotnikov - Malkin - Perron

Still not ideal, but it's been something that I've been thinking about when trying to figure out how a Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist line will be defensively. Especially when our blueline isn't nearly as strong as it has been in the past.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malkin's line won't need to start too many shifts in the D-zone if this team gels properly. And if that trio works, they'll be keeping the puck in other team's end pretty well. He still sucks at faceoffs so you don't want him starting right in front of our own net anyway.

Sid, Bonino, Fehr and Cullen will be taking those faceoffs.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Must stay healthy. The whole lot of them. I'd love to see one single season where one of our big guns doesn't go down for half the season.

This has to be the most competitive camp we've had around these parts in a long, long time. It's really like a tryout. No one is really gifted anything.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I have a couple of concerns with a Crosby/Kessel and a Malkin/Hornqvist tandoms. And it's about the LWs on those lines. Other than Dupuis I'm not sure we have someone fast enough to get in on the forecheck and solid enough defensively to cover for Kessel - who lets be honest can be okay defensively but for the most part is meh. And that extends to Malkin/Hornqvist. Yes they were very effective offensively last year - however they were also scored on more than Crosby/Hornqvist. And playing Perron on the other wing likely wouldn't help matters at all.

I almost wonder how Hornqvist and Perron would play if both played on their off wing. The issue there is that Perron is a better LW then RW, and Johnson has said that PH is a RW (and likely should be). But honestly, if PH could play LW, that would solve some issues. Crosby would still be doing a ton of the work defensively, but with either Kunitz or perhaps BB (RW, DP-LW) on Malkin's wing, Malkin would at least have someone who could help him a little on the defensive side. That said I've yet to see anything from BB that says he's a top 6 player.

Hornqvist - Crosby - Kessel
Kunitz/Plotnikov - Malkin - Perron

Still not ideal, but it's been something that I've been thinking about when trying to figure out how a Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist line will be defensively. Especially when our blueline isn't nearly as strong as it has been in the past.

I hear your concerns, about the Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist line. And I am one of the ones that would rather a Malkin-Kessel line with Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist as the other...so I am not necessarily arguing in favor of P-M-H.

But, having said that, if the plan IS to roll with P-M-H, can any of your concerns about a Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist line, defensively, possibly be alleviated some by having the proper D-tandem backing that line, whenever possible? Obviously, Maatta-Letang behind Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist is alot different than Scuderi-Lovejoy behind them...

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think any lines should be pinned down. With all the moving pieces, let things just shake themselves out. It's going to probably be a rough first quarter of the season until the dust settles.

My sleeper is Bonino. I think he finds his way into the top 6.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't think any lines should be pinned down. With all the moving pieces, let things just shake themselves out. It's going to probably be a rough first quarter of the season until the dust settles.

My sleeper is Bonino. I think he finds his way into the top 6.

When I do my different line up iterations, I often end up putting Bonino on Malkin's LW. It's not my first choice or first guess, but if neither Kunitz or Plotnikov perform well enough to play top-6 with Malkin, I think Bonino has as much chance to play that spot as Perron or Bennett. Top that off with the fact that I like the size of Fehr at C more than Bonino for the 3rd line, and I think it's a good fit. So I'm with you in that it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Crosby wants speed on his wing, hence Kessel and probably Duper.

That and with Kessel being completely adverse to playing in the corners, someone with Dupuis speed and simple game would probably work well there. Another reason why Kunitz could easier work there - IF he has some speed back and is significantly better than last year. Plotnikov and Kunitz could also be options if Kessel is with Malkin.

Bonino probably is the most logical choice for Malkin's LW,but don't see him play there until Fehr is back.

Eh... really do not like him there. I think he probably has the skill to play there, but am really not a fan. I just see that line suddenly very slow and very blah. Skilled, but between Bonino and Perron, I like Perron a lot better there on Hornqvist's other side. And I like Bonino even less if Kessel is on the RW.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I do think Bonino has a great chance to stick with Geno, and sort of using the eye test with him, it seems as though his game would mesh with Geno's. If we could get production like Kunitz has been able to give out of Bonino, that'd be very helpful.

Dupuis does seem like the best fit stylistically on that line with Crosby and Kessel. He has the wheels, and he can play that retriever role on that line, along with the guy who remains defensively responsible. We can sort of ding Dupuis for his lack of hands, but fact is, the guy has been on an insane goal tear for what spans years now, so it's not like he can't finish.

Perron with Sid and Kessel though seems too good. Sid hasn't seen that much skill on his line ever. It'd be nearly impossible to key in on one guy. That line would be highly entertaining to watch.

JR has assembled a hell of a squad going into this season.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
As a reminder, Bonino is a far better center than wing and hasn't played wing consistently in the NHL.

I don't think he has a great chance of sticking with Malkin. I think both Fehr and Bonino should be playing at center where they are better suited.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As a reminder, Bonino is a far better center than wing and hasn't played wing consistently in the NHL.

I don't think he has a great chance of sticking with Malkin. I think both Fehr and Bonino should be playing at center where they are better suited.

Agreed. Of the two I think Fehr is the more likely to shift to wing. He's done it much more in his NHL career.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Agreed. Of the two I think Fehr is the more likely to shift to wing. He's done it much more in his NHL career.

I wonder if the centers shouldn't be Crosby, Malkin, Bonino, Fehr with Cullen shifted out to LW (on Bonino's line to take FOs?) or in the press box if a young player impresses. It essentially gives the Pens a 1a, 1b, 3a, 3b lines at least from center.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I wonder if the centers shouldn't be Crosby, Malkin, Bonino, Fehr with Cullen shifted out to LW (on Bonino's line to take FOs?) or in the press box if a young player impresses. It essentially gives the Pens a 1a, 1b, 3a, 3b lines at least from center.

When healthy, it's hard to see Bonino playing at center for us. Fehr may be better or more comfortable at wing, but it's very hard to resist the physical and two way play of Fehr at center. Much harder to play against. And Cullen is our best FO guy, and another very solid 2 way guy. Bonino's skillset looks a heck of a lot like another Jussi Jokinen to me, though perhaps a bit less defensively responsible. But his usage as a wing with spot duty at C as needed seems like it fits best on our team when healthy, especially since we have so many question marks at LW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig