Salary Cap: Off Summer News Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, you've got to wonder if he's got a handshake agreement and is waiting for a team to make cap space.

*Looks at Scuderi and Kunitz*

Interesting times ahead... I doubt he's still waiting for some huge contract like he may have been in July and I doubt he has zero offers, as low as they might be.

Yeah I assume he does have a handshake agreement, but what other pieces can a team be waiting for? I mean, training camp isn't that far off and most teams are likely going to see what they have, what injuries might occur, etc before making trades and signing other guys.

I suppose Franson could sign a PTO with a team that plans to sign him, let's use the Pens as an example, and then hope they can move Scuds when injuries pop up on other teams. That just seems like way too much of a risk for a guy that was seen as one of the top free agent defensemen.

His agent either sucks, he had way too high of demands, or team scouts all think he blows. Or some combination of the three.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah I assume he does have a handshake agreement, but what other pieces can a team be waiting for? I mean, training camp isn't that far off and most teams are likely going to see what they have, what injuries might occur, etc before making trades and signing other guys.

I suppose Franson could sign a PTO with a team that plans to sign him, let's use the Pens as an example, and then hope they can move Scuds when injuries pop up on other teams. That just seems like way too much of a risk for a guy that was seen as one of the top free agent defensemen.

His agent either sucks, he had way too high of demands, or team scouts all think he blows. Or some combination of the three.

The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense, tbh. At this point you'd think his contract demands would have lowered and someone would have swooped in. I doubt that every team has scouts that wouldn't take him on a lowered deal and some teams have defenses that would probably benefit from him. If he's still being picky then that's ridiculous.

Even a handshake agreement looks weird at this point. Training camps start soon and waiting until who knows when for a team to move someone seems like a leap of faith. Say it's the Pens, JR says "look here, sonny, I'm going to move Scuderi/Kunitz and then sign you. The deal is pretty much done and it's only a matter of time." Well, it's September and that still hasn't happened, everything relies on another team doing something and that still hasn't happened. Maybe they're going to send Scuderi back to LA (or someone else is trading with LA) and are waiting on Richards, but that's still a huge gamble.

Maybe he's waiting for injury problems to strike so he can capitalize. idk, it's weird. Maybe he burned too many bridges early on in the off season and missed the window to get a contract.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, you've got to wonder if he's [Franson] got a handshake agreement and is waiting for a team to make cap space.

However even those are usually leaked. Cleary had one with Philly and he backed out of it to sign with Detroit (Philly had to clear cap space). If he does have one, I just do not see it not having been leaked by now by someone.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Im looking forward to the rookie tournament. I know our prospects will probably get smoked but just to watch some hockey again will be nice

Anyone else slightly annoyed that the Pens have 8 pre-season games instead of 6? Just seems like more opportunity for something bad to happen

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Im looking forward to the rookie tournament. I know our prospects will probably get smoked but just to watch some hockey again will be nice

Anyone else slightly annoyed that the Pens have 8 pre-season games instead of 6? Just seems like more opportunity for something bad to happen

I imagine Sid and Geno will play 2 each at most.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014

I'm excited. More chances to see Kessel on the ice, earlier on in the year!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Calling a Leclair/Malkin between Sid/Kessel in the 7th game. Lengthy injuries to start the season. :sarcasm:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The rookie tournament runs 9/11-9/13, and the first pre-season game is 9/22, so if I had to guess, camp probably starts on 9/17 (it started on a Thursday last year, so I figured the same for this year).
Thanks, that sounds about right. It was Thursday the 18th last year so that is spot on.

It feels later this year for some reason. Maybe the anticipation.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I can't imagine what Kessel would be like in even slightly better shape, let alone infinitely better and with infinitely better linemates. And less pressure on him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Let's blow that sucker up:

CN_9e16WUAEWtCC.jpg:large

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I can't imagine what Kessel would be like in even slightly better shape, let alone infinitely better and with infinitely better linemates. And less pressure on him.

That's the thing. For as much as people sandbag him about his weight/conditioning, the guy can fly.

I really don't pay attention to what players do in the offseason, but is this Kessel doing usual perpetration or has he actually made a point of doing more in the offseason? Although, I'm sure the Toronto would have been all over it if it were the latter. :laugh:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
That's the thing. For as much as people sandbag him about his weight/conditioning, the guy can fly.

I really don't pay attention to what players do in the offseason, but is this Kessel doing usual perpetration or has he actually made a point of doing more in the offseason? Although, I'm sure the Toronto would have been all over it if it were the latter. :laugh:

He's doing all kinds of extra perspiration this offseason. That's one of the things they complained about, he would say he only skated a few times and would fish and whatnot, and that would enrage the Toronto-ites.

I imagine he'll work out like never before, be faster than ever, and miss 40 games with various injuries this year. Thanks Obama.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

He's gone to scary Gary this off season. It's new, so at minimum it's a new approach, and it's probably a new commitment to fitness.

I do think that how out of shape he was in has been exaggerated, though. If it hasn't been then he's a freak of nature given his production, speed and lack of games missed.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

He made it a point to do more in this off-season. He called up Roberts, before he was even traded, i believe.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I do not want to say this is his "usual" as I do not know what that is. However from the sounds of things, he's gone beyond what he normally does. Maybe that's not true, who knows. But that's my take on it from what I've read over the summer since the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad