Celtics/NBA Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
What the hell are they doing? Yes, let's promote your mediocre underachieving coach to President...

Seems like a clear admission that the problem is the roster. If Brad can't straighten it out and build around Tatum and Brown in a couple years, he'll be gone.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Just in case some folks don't know about Becky's resume.

I think Pop will hold onto her and not let her get away but Hammon is legitimately a good coach and would be fantastic here

Isn't there a lot of smoke that Pop's retiring and Hammon will take over?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Isn't there a lot of smoke that Pop's retiring and Hammon will take over?

Spurs fans are losing their minds over the possibility of Hammon getting an interview and potentially leaving. Pop seems to still want to coach. But the organization and Pop love her. She's been essentially under his wing and doing her thing since 2014. She's 44 now. If the Celtics gave her and interview and offered her the job, I'd have to think she take it. Unless her and Pop have a deal in place.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So when does the real story break because I don't buy this Ainge decided to retire narrative that they're spinning right now.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
You can tell from Danny's first answer that this is not a retirement. He is not closing the door on any opportunities.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
While I think Ainge left a lot to be desired at times, I have zero confidence that Brad will be a good replacement. He clearly disliked this group and was looking to get out earlier this year, now he's the GM? Yikes.
Are you basing on this all on the rumors he would take a job at Indiana?

I think you are speculating too much here.

I think he likes the players but I don't think he liked how the roster was constructed. Nothing personal. He gave everyone a chance when he didn't have to.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm 1000% convinced they're going to panic trade Brown for trash and make things so much worse going forward, all while keeping completely fake tough guys like Marcus Smart.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
You can tell from Danny's first answer that this is not a retirement. He is not closing the door on any opportunities.
There are plenty of teams that would bring him on to consult in a heartbeat.

I don't think he jumps back in for at least 2 years.

I bet his health has taken another turn and the doctors finally put their foot down

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm 1000% convinced they're going to panic trade Brown for trash and make things so much worse going forward, all while keeping completely fake tough guys like Marcus Smart.

Why? Honestly asking as I don't know if there is friction between Stevens and certain players.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Are you basing on this all on the rumors he would take a job at Indiana?

I think you are speculating too much here.

I think he likes the players but I don't think he liked how the roster was constructed. Nothing personal. He gave everyone a chance when he didn't have to.

What experience does he have building a roster? I'm simply not a Brad guy. I think he was grossly overrated as a coach and his middling success gave him more leeway than a guy with his track record should have gotten. Him as a first time GM where they have to make hard decisions on this roster? That scares the shit out of me.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
What experience does he have building a roster? I'm simply not a Brad guy. I think he was grossly overrated as a coach and his middling success gave him more leeway than a guy with his track record should have gotten. Him as a first time GM where they have to make hard decisions on this roster? That scares the shit out of me.
He's going to have plenty of help behind the scenes.

He's got roster building experience from his days as a college coach.

Give him a chance.

Reactions: Maine Fan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why? Honestly asking as I don't know if there is friction between Stevens and certain players.

Why trade Brown? Because he's easily their best chip and shouldn't be moved. :laugh:

Trade Smart and a bunch of the other players that were high draft picks they have sitting around taking up space. Move on from Kemba if you want too, but moving Brown will turn out to be a huge mistake.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He's going to have plenty of help behind the scenes.

He's got roster building experience from his days as a college coach.

Give him a chance.

Recruiting young high school players and amassing an NBA roster are vastly different skill sets. So I don't like this move at all. Not one bit. :laugh:

Reactions: KrejciMVP

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To me, this is a coup by Brad. He hung the playoff failures on Ainge and absolved himself of the bad coaching decisions he had a direct hand in. While I'm okay with them moving on from Danny, I don't like this hiring of Brad to replace him. It's just ill conceived, IMO.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
To me, this is a coup by Brad. He hung the playoff failures on Ainge and absolved himself of the bad coaching decisions he had a direct hand in. While I'm okay with them moving on from Danny, I don't like this hiring of Brad to replace him. It's just ill conceived, IMO.

Certainly could be. I am not sold on it either but I am fine with giving him a couple years to see what the approach is. They should be doing everything in their power to build around Tatum and Brown with the goal to truly compete once Kemba's contract is off the books.

Reactions: LSCII

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Take the long view - there's no way he can be worse than Chris Wallace.

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad