Celtics/NBA Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Let's hope they're right - CBS Sports called the Richardson trade " a brilliant bit of salary cap maneuvering by the Celtics " .

Dallas Mavericks wing Josh Richardson is opting in to the final year of his contract and will be traded to the Boston Celtics for Moses Brown, the team announced Saturday. Richardson will now play for his fourth team in four seasons after starting his career with the Miami Heat and then spending single seasons with the Philadelphia 76ers and Mavericks.

The trade is a brilliant bit of salary cap maneuvering by the Celtics. Boston had roughly $11 million left on the trade exception it generated when it dealt Gordon Hayward to Charlotte last offseason. Richardson's $11.6 million salary for next season would not have fit into that exception. However, as the league year has not yet flipped, Boston can trade for him at his $10.8 million 2020-21 salary and therefore fit him into the exception. According to ESPN's Bobby Marks, that is how the Celtics are completing this trade.

The Celtics made another trade earlier Friday to clear room underneath the tax line for this one. They swapped Tristan Thompson for Kris Dunn, and in acquiring Richardson, they've essentially jumped back up to the tax line while replacing free agent Evan Fournier. That might seem insignificant now, but it has enormous ramifications for next offseason. Richardson's contract is expiring. Fournier will surely command a multi-year deal this offseason. Now Boston has a number of veterans on expiring deals, and with Richardson seemingly filling Fournier's spot in the rotation, they are in position to create a significant amount of cap space.

Reactions: wintersej

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Reports say Fournier wants 4/$80 and Celts don’t wanna go that high

seems like what they are doing is replacing Fournier with Richardson and this way they don’t have a huge loss on the court while clearing more room for next off-season free agent class

as for Moses brown I don’t care all that much. I thought he was intriguing but it would’ve have surprised me if they waived him either. At the end of the day he’s deep on the bench and his game isn’t really a good fit for the modern nba. He had some mammoth games on that awful Thunder team though

Reactions: N o o d l e s

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Destroying your depth for the chance of signing a guy that plays similarly to your two other stars next free agency isn't a good move. Richardson is a big drop off compared to Fournier

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Destroying your depth for the chance of signing a guy that plays similarly to your two other stars next free agency isn't a good move. Richardson is a big drop off compared to Fournier

They don’t have depth. I’m hoping they use this offseason to build some. Also Fournier isn’t worth $20m/yr.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
They don’t have depth. I’m hoping they use this offseason to build some. Also Fournier isn’t worth $20m/yr.
If the team can stay moderately healthy i would say Fournier, Rob Will and Pritchard are solid depth. You will see some guys on contenders get overpaid with their bird rights and that's fine because if you are already at the cap the only other way to improve your roster besides paying more to keep your guys is to use the MLE or draft and develop players.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
If the team can stay moderately healthy i would say Fournier, Rob Will and Pritchard are solid depth. You will see some guys on contenders get overpaid with their bird rights and that's fine because if you are already at the cap the only other way to improve your roster besides paying more to keep your guys is to use the MLE or draft and develop players.

Thats the depth of a non-playoff team

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’re a playoff team but they’re not a very good one

Pretty clear what they’re doing though, they’re having as little money tied up beyond Tatum and Brown as possible. Next off-season should be a crazy one.

Fournier may have priced himself out of the Celtics range with that game against Team USA

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

Pretty clear what they’re doing though, they’re having as little money tied up beyond Tatum and Brown as possible. Next off-season should be a crazy one.

Fournier may have priced himself out of the Celtics range with that game against Team USA

Ya this next season might be another shitty one

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Does Stevens even have a plan.Seems he is all over the place .Not sure he is right guy for that job but being fair I will wait & give him a chance.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

Feels like the motto with this team every year is "just wait till next season"

Reactions: KrejciMVP

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Stein says the Celtics have interest in bringing back IT

Sign me up.

At least he'll bring some heart to the team. They always overperformed when he was on the court. I know he's not what he was 4 years ago, but hey, why not? What's there to lose?

Reactions: Mione134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad