Off season wish list

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Manning, Streit and Schultz are expendable, but with Morin and Sanheim in the wings, and Myers ETA in 2017 or 2018, no reason to put a lot of resources in the D.

Play out Umberger's deal, they have the cap room to pay it off.
Medvedev, Gagner & Weal buy you $7M, Streit and Schultz expire after next year. So no urgency to clear cap room by pushing it forward.

Agree with most, but I do think that Streit might be movable after July 1 bonus payment, although there's no rush on that. Probably move him mid season for a pick or 2, assuming he bounces back.

I'd like to see what we can get for McDonald if we retain $2m - I really think he's got value to a middle of the pack team at $3m per year, maybe even a 2nd or a 3rd plus at the draft.

That gives us MDZ, Ghost, Gudas, Prov, Streit, Schultz, and someone like Alt to start the season, with Morin and Sandheim potentially available mid-year to replace Schultz and Streit respectively.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Trade Read, Streit and MacDonald.
Gagner and Medvedev walk.

Schenn 4 years at $4.2m per yr.
Gudas 3 years at $3.8 per yr.
Cousins 2 year at 1m per.
White 1 year at $800k.
Manning 1 year at $700k.
Loui Eriksson 4 years at $5m per yr.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Eriksson-Couturier-Voracek
Raffl-Cousins-Konecny
Laughton-Bellemare-White
VDV

Gudas-MDZ
Ghost-Schultz
Provorov-Manning
Morin

5.5m cap space

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/82916

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Trade Read, Streit and MacDonald.
Gagner and Medvedev walk.

Schenn 4 years at $4.2m per yr.
Gudas 3 years at $3.8 per yr.

Cousins 2 year at 1m per.
White 1 year at $800k.
Manning 1 year at $700k.
Loui Eriksson 4 years at $5m per yr.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Eriksson-Couturier-Voracek
Raffl-Cousins-Konecny
Laughton-Bellemare-White
VDV

Gudas-MDZ
Ghost-Schultz
Provorov-Manning
Morin

5.5m cap space

The bolded are the problem areas. Gudas is way too much. He isn't a 3.8 million player right now. Schenn is more than likely too low also. He will probably get around 5 million I have to think.

Eriksson is getting more term+money on the free market than that. Probably 5 years for around 5.5 or 6 million

Why re-sign Manning and have him play at the 6 spot and have Morin sitting in the press box? How will that help his development as a 21 year old defender?

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
The bolded are the problem areas. Gudas is way too much. He isn't a 3.8 million player right now. Schenn is more than likely too low also. He will probably get around 5 million I have to think.

Eriksson is getting more term+money on the free market than that. Probably 5 years for around 5.5 or 6 million

Why re-sign Manning and have him play at the 6 spot and have Morin sitting in the press box? How will that help his development as a 21 year old defender?

points taken, adjustments made. thanks
still at 5.5m cap space

what do you think about my moves?

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Personally, I'd keep Streit, his contact expires after next season and the rumor is that you have to expose 25% of your total cap hit. Streit helps that IMO. MacD, sure, him I'd move.

Other than that, I don't think I'd make any other trades. Re-sign our RFAs and let the UFAs walk. Keep Umberger for the same reasons as Streit and keep him as the 14th forward

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wonder what Umberger would rather:

Sit in the pressbox every game next year, never playing, but practicing with the team

Or

Actually playing for LV to stay in game shape and then possibly hooking on to a team after expansion.

And yes, I know he has a NMC. But if Hextall said that he would be the 14th forward and not play again, would Umberger rather stay as that 14th forward and never play, or play fir LV for 1 year to try and extend his career.

Either way, he gets paid the same money. But would he rather sit in the NHL, or play in the AHL.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Personally, I'd keep Streit, his contact expires after next season and the rumor is that you have to expose 25% of your total cap hit. Streit helps that IMO. MacD, sure, him I'd move.

Other than that, I don't think I'd make any other trades. Re-sign our RFAs and let the UFAs walk. Keep Umberger for the same reasons as Streit and keep him as the 14th forward

Personally I'd keep Mac over streit. Mac isn't someone I want around but since streit has come back from his injury I'd almost dare to say manning looks better then him. I love streit but he just is a shell of himself. He can't skate or shoot at this point.

Also, trading amac would cause us to take back contract or package something of value. Streits trade value would be higher as his past and term are much more appealing. I'll be optimistic and say with emergence of ghost, Gudas proving his worth, mdz turning his game around and the addition of provorov, amac as s bottom pairing d won't be so noticeable and he can just do the little things instead of being a key defender

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
My big pipe dream would be for Hextall to somehow reunite with his boy, Slava Voynov, from the KHL. I don't know if that's contractually possible, though. Voynov solves a lot of problems for us.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
I'd rather not ruin a tight knit team with a piece of human garbage.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My big pipe dream would be for Hextall to somehow reunite with his boy, Slava Voynov, from the KHL. I don't know if that's contractually possible, though. Voynov solves a lot of problems for us.

I want no part of that scum bag.

PensBrony 6 9*

I'd still like to see them try to trade for a guy like Hoffman. He'd come a lot cheaper than the Ufa guys and I'm not married to a ton of guys on our current roster. If he could be had for a roster player and pick I'd do it

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I still think buying out Umberger is the way to go. With Provorov and Morin and possibly Sanheim on the team in 17-18 the $1.5m penalty will not be a problem. Even if Ghost and MDZ got $5m extensions the top 6 would only cost around $16m total.

We saw this season that 14th forwards with NMCs can end up playing over talented prospects when injuries happen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I still think buying out Umberger is the way to go. With Provorov and Morin and possibly Sanheim on the team in 17-18 the $1.5m penalty will not be a problem.

We saw this season that 14th forwards with NMCs can end up playing over talented prospects when injuries happen.

Couldn't agree more. Cut ties and move forward.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
My wish list:

Re-Sign Schenn for something around 3 Years/13M
Re-Sign Gudas 2 Years/5.5M
Re-Sign Manning 1 Year/900K
Re-Sign White 2 Year/2M
Sign: Jagr 1 Year 5M
Trade Laughton + Hägg + 3rd -- Drouin

Schenn--Giroux--Voracek
Drouin--Couturier--Simmonds
Raffl--Cousins--Jagr
Read--Bellemare--White
VandeVelde/Leier

Del Zotto--Gostisbehere
Provorov--Streit
Macdonald--Gudas
Manning

Improved 3rd/4th lines. Jagr filling hole for Konecny next year, and Cousins gets two good wingers to help him get going.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My wish list:

Re-Sign Schenn for something around 3 Years/13M
Re-Sign Gudas 2 Years/5.5M
Re-Sign Manning 1 Year/900K
Re-Sign White 2 Year/2M
Sign: Jagr 1 Year 5M
Trade Laughton + Hägg + 3rd -- Drouin

Schenn--Giroux--Voracek
Drouin--Couturier--Simmonds
Raffl--Cousins--Jagr
Read--Bellemare--White
VandeVelde/Leier

Del Zotto--Gostisbehere
Provorov--Streit
Macdonald--Gudas
Manning

Improved 3rd/4th lines. Jagr filling hole for Konecny next year, and Cousins gets two good wingers to help him get going.

That's not gonna get it done for Drouin. Unfortunately.

They're not going to sign Jagr at 44-45 years old and take playing time away from a young player.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Is Umberger a candidate for LTIR when next season comes around? Physically, he's finished. It might be better for the Flyers to go that route with him than a buyout. Put him on the list and then he's totally off of the books after the '16-17 season

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Let Gagner, Medvedev, White, Weal & Manning walk.
Buy-out Umberger.
Sign Brodziak or Gordon. (~$1.5-2m, 2 years)
Re-sign Schenn. (~$4.5-4.75m, 3-4 years)
Re-sign Gudas. (~$2.5-3m, 2-3 years)
Re-sign Cousins. (~$1m, ~2 years)
Re-sign Alt on a Manning 'show me/cheap #7' deal. ($0.625m, 1 year)
Trade Streit once bonus paid.

If Konecny blows us all away at camp send Leier back to AHL, put Laughton on 4th line LW and put Konecny in middle six.

roll:

Schenn ($4.75m) -- Giroux ($8.275m) -- Simmonds ($3.975m)
Raffl ($2.35m) -- Couturier ($4.33m) -- Voracek ($8.25m)
Laughton ($0.863m) -- Cousins ($1m) -- Read ($3.625m)
Leier ($0.780m) -- Brodziak ($1.5m) -- Bellemare ($0.713m)
VandeVelde ($0.713m)

Del Zotto ($3.875m) -- Gostisbehere ($0.925m)
Provorov ($0.925m) -- Gudas ($3m)
MacDonald ($5m) -- Schultz ($2.25m)
Alt ($0.625m)

Mason ($4.1m)
Neuvirth ($1.625m)

Umberger Buyout ($1.6m)

Total cap hit: ~$65.05m

(In this circumstance I would keep Umberger if we know by summer how the expansion draft treats NMC's... I mean, 99% he will not have to be protected ofc... and if he does not have to be protected no point buying out... just bury him as 14th forward to save the $1.5m in 2017-18... as if Streit is traded cap will be no problem at all next season.)

This is pretty close to what I want to see, except that I would rather Leier be an injury call up than an NHL regular next year.

I'd like to see them re-sign White along with a guy like Brodziak, as Appleyard suggests.

I also would rather keep Umberger on the books next year, as long as the opening night roster is a few million below the cap, just so he's completely off the books for the following season.

I'd like to see Medvedev brought back on a reasonable deal, but I'm not sure if he would take less than the $3M he made this year.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Voracek
Laughton-Cousins-Read
Bellemare-UFA Centre-White

Umberger, VandeVelde in the press box

MDZ-Gudas
MacDonald-Ghost
Provorov-Medvedev/Schultz
Streit - moved at some point

With Leier and Morin as depth call ups.

I'd also like to see a change in the special teams groups:

Couturier-Read
Laughton-Bellemare
Giroux-Raffl (used sparingly)

PP1 left the same.

PP2:

Cousins - net front presence (White/Raffl) - Couturier
Provorov-Gudas

Keep Read off of the powerplay unless he re-discovers his mojo.

RJ8812*

you cannot LTIR a player who is fit to play. Even if he is a shell of his former self.
they call that cap circumvention.

Like when Chicago placed Kane on LTIR last year saying he would be out indefinitely, and then miraculously recovered in time for game one of the playoffs after they loaded up with salaries at the deadline?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
My offseason wish would be Medvedev out, Sami Lepistö in. A good two-way defenseman, has more offensive ability than Medvedev and has a that compete level. I know Provorov is coming in and MDZ will be in the lineup again next season, but I'd take Lepistö over Manning, Schultz, Streit and Medvedev right away. He also has 200 games of experience already from the NHL.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/report-veteran-d-man-lepisto-garnering-interest-from-nhl-clubs/ (NBCSports article on Lepistö possibly coming to NHL next season)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4127

Last edited:

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I still think buying out Umberger is the way to go. With Provorov and Morin and possibly Sanheim on the team in 17-18 the $1.5m penalty will not be a problem. Even if Ghost and MDZ got $5m extensions the top 6 would only cost around $16m total.

I'd rather keep him, it's his final year, and that way we don't have any cap penalty for next year

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My wish list is:

Streit to the moon
Manning to the sun
Umberger to the middle of the Pacific ocean
Vandevelde to the ECHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad