Off season wish list

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think Wiese will get paid more than you would like for what he will bring on an average year.

Sam Gagner isn't going to accept a league min deal. We can't re-sign everyone. I think he doesn't make it back. Everything we have gotten out of him has just been an added bonus to getting rid of Prongers contract and Grossmannnnn

Also, I don't think Hexy will be going out and spending a ton on a free agent as much as I like shiny new toys!! He will more than likely make a trade I believe. Our first rounder and maybe a player like Laughton might be on the table along with other assets. Add in a roster player and you have the beginnings of maybe a bigger deal. A young team would most likely take the opportunity to take Laughton but I don't think Hexy will give him away.

Hexy mentioned they wanted a skilled big RH defenseman at the town meeting. I still like to think they will try to make a pitch for one out there somehow. You add a player like Trouba to this team and the pressure on the young defenseman goes down significantly.

Just imagine

Provorov-Trouba
Ghost-Gudas
Morin-Sanheim

That would be one hell of a top 6. Of course not all right now but eventually.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Mikkel Boedker was playing LW last night it looked like for some periods of time with the Avalanche. He is a terrible defensive player but put a line of -Boedker-Couts-Voracek out there and that's a great second line.

He might be the one player worth looking at in regard to free agency. Just need to see his price tag. He will eclipse 50 points this year and would provide depth and speed to the lineup.

If it's 5 years for 25 million, I wouldn't be too opposed to that deal. If it was longer or even more money I think you look elsewhere. Realistically he is probably worth around 4.5 over 4-5 years. He might get north of 5.5 even on the market. That's too steep for my taste.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I just want to re-sign our guys. Schenn & Gudas, but also White. People rag on White quite a bit but I don't get it. He's a perfect 4th line forward. Heart and soul guy who can chip in some offense.

After that, I just want to see the young guys come in and supplant some of the more replaceable vets. I think we all assume that Provorov will make the team but what if Konecny does as well? I also don't see why Leier can't replace what Vande Velde or Bellmare offer.

Maybe next year could look something like this...

Schenn/Giroux/Simmonds
Voracek/Couturier/Konecny
Laughton/Cousins/Read
Leier/Raffl/White

MDZ/Gudas
Provorov/Ghost
AMac/Streit
Schultz

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I agree about White. He is exactly what you look for on the bottom 6 and especially where he is playing on the 4th line. He has 11 goals now this year and that's definitely more than you can ask for from your 4th line player.

He is a gritty player who loves to get in on the forecheck and doesn't mind throwing them if he has to for his teammates. These are guys the players like to have around too. He is a workhorse. He loves doing the things that are tough in this league. Working the boards and going to the front of the net.

Now, how much do you re-sign him for? 2 years at 1 million average? That would be a fine deal IMO

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
If Umberger is bought out and Provorov makes the team I will be happy. Wouldn't mind trading Streit too.

I think Hexy will make small Hexy type signings and keep all his picks....which I am fine with.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
How do you get Trouba without giving up Sanheim/Provorov/Morin/Konecny?

B. Schenn or Simmonds as the main piece.

I don't think the Flyers wil have the money to do it without a trade of salary or the cap going up, but I would like them to go after Frans Nielsen. He would fill in perfectly as the 3rd center and is great in the shootouts, which is a huge need for the Flyers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The trade board will tell you that MacDonald could only get a guy like Clarkson, but I don't believe it. If Hexy could move him and take back a shorter term and/or smaller value contract it would open up a lot of possibilities.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The trade board will tell you that MacDonald could only get a guy like Clarkson, but I don't believe it. If Hexy could move him and take back a shorter term and/or smaller value contract it would open up a lot of possibilities.

He just has to keep playing well like he has recently. You have mentioned Buffalo a ton of times and that still could be a realistic option.

If Hexy manages to trade Vinny, Schenn and MacDonald in the span of 6 months or so, while the team makes the playoffs, one would think he would be nominated for GM of the year or whatever. He would deserve it for the mess he was brought into.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fortunately he has zero trade protection so if any team is interested, Hextall's hands aren't tied.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

i would be love to see what hextall could do with some spending cash....

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Nothing big. Add a 3rd/4th line forward or two. In a perfect world, I would add a center and move Bellemare to the wing. I've wanted Vernon Fiddler for 10 years, but I doubt he leaves Dallas.

Matt Martin is probably going to get more than I have any interest in paying.

*Edited to add* A reasonable Mason extension.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just want to re-sign our guys. Schenn & Gudas, but also White. People rag on White quite a bit but I don't get it. He's a perfect 4th line forward. Heart and soul guy who can chip in some offense.

After that, I just want to see the young guys come in and supplant some of the more replaceable vets. I think we all assume that Provorov will make the team but what if Konecny does as well? I also don't see why Leier can't replace what Vande Velde or Bellmare offer.

Maybe next year could look something like this...

Schenn/Giroux/Simmonds
Voracek/Couturier/Konecny
Laughton/Cousins/Read
Leier/Raffl/White

MDZ/Gudas
Provorov/Ghost
AMac/Streit
Schultz

Ryan White is a perfect 4th liner. As long as you give him 4th line minutes and keep him off of your PK and PP2.

Unfortunately, he got 3rd line minutes for long stretches of the season, plays on the PK where he is an abomination and plays on PP2 where he is just a body in front of the net that brings nothing else to the unit (puck retrieval, playmaking, etc).

I would rather have White than VandeVelde, even though VdV is a better PKer, for intangibles and ability to bang home some pucks around the net, but VdV has 1 year left on his deal and White is a UFA. With Leier knocking on the door, do we really need to re-sign White? It's a tough call.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
An above average 4th line Center would be a huge addition. Let White walk or sign him as a 13th forward to keep him around the team, as he appears to be a glue guy in the room, and send VandeVelde back to the Phantoms.

A 4th line of Leier-Brodziak/Gordon-Bellemare would be a major upgrade and would allow us to stop sheltering the 4th line, which translates to more Ozone starts and easier QoC for the top 2 lines.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I do not want big moves, little upgrades are more than fine, especially guys with the right character, willing to do the dirty work, more interested in winning than stat padding. I think a big deal could backfire, this team has great chemistry, don't mess with it.

Add Provorov and Konecny from juniors, Leier from the AHL.
Let Sanheim and Morin play together in Allentown.
Let AK, Fazleev et al get some seasoning.
Add a big center to the 4th line who can skate and forecheck and PK.

Leave Raffl on the 2nd line with Couts and V
Laughton - Cousins - Konecny
Leier/VV - PEB/??? - White

MDZ - Gudas
Provorov - Ghost
McDonald - ???
Manning, Streit and Schultz are expendable, but with Morin and Sanheim in the wings, and Myers ETA in 2017 or 2018, no reason to put a lot of resources in the D.

Play out Umberger's deal, they have the cap room to pay it off.
Medvedev, Gagner & Weal buy you $7M, Streit and Schultz expire after next year. So no urgency to clear cap room by pushing it forward.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ryan White is a perfect 4th liner. As long as you give him 4th line minutes and keep him off of your PK and PP2.

Unfortunately, he got 3rd line minutes for long stretches of the season, plays on the PK where he is an abomination and plays on PP2 where he is just a body in front of the net that brings nothing else to the unit (puck retrieval, playmaking, etc).

I think he's better on PP2 than at ES where his skating issues are more noticeable.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think he's better on PP2 than at ES where his skating issues are more noticeable.

The issue with him being on PP2 is that there are better options, like Raffl.

I don't mind him at ES. He's a 4th line calibre player. His skating reflects that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad