Speculation: Off-season UFAs

Who would you keep?

• Total voters

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Because this was a cinderella run on the back of a second season in a row where we wouldn't have made the play-offs if it weren't for covid.

We will be back in our regular division and for all of Toronto's ability to implode in the play-offs.. they are still a great regular season team, Tampa isn't going anywhere, Florida isn't going anywhere, Boston isn't going anywhere - and that's just our division. On the other side of the ledger, there's still Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina, the Islanders and teams like the Rangers and Philly who might not stay down again.

It's going to be a tall task and we don't have a lot of cap room, we will have more miles on Weber and Gallagher.. the only way I see the Habs making the play-offs is if Norlinder/Guhle break our defense and come in as legitimate studs.

Don't forget the Sens. They had a better record than us in the second half.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't forget the Sens. They had a better record than us in the second half.

Sens will be better but team D will hold them back. In the 2nd half, the Sens had a better record yes but Habs were also banged up.

Make no mistake, it's going to be tough to make the playoffs. But I would not focus on other teams, focus on our team and to continue to have a strong team D in front of Price and we will be in the mix.

Habs allowed 92 goals in the last 28 games. That was 6th worse in the NHL. Habs issues are being inconsistent with our team D in the regular season and it's clear as day.

2.45 goals against in the Playoffs
2.95 goals against in the Regular Season

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sens will be better but team D will hold them back. In the 2nd half, the Sens had a better record yes but Habs were also banged up.

Make no mistake, it's going to be tough to make the playoffs. But I would not focus on other teams, focus on our team and to continue to have a strong team D in front of Price and we will be in the mix.

Habs allowed 92 goals in the last 28 games. That was 6th worse in the NHL. Habs issues are being inconsistent with our team D in the regular season and it's clear as day.

Also, it’s one thing to play w zero expectation and quite another to play when you’re the media darling driving expectations

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The goaltending was also much better for the habs in the playoffs. The biggest improvement is how good the PK looked in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

Same thing happened last year when the PK was awful for the regular season but very good in the bubble. I just hope they can translate it to the regular season this time, because they do need it to be better.

Hamilton would look pretty good to add some offense on the blueline, and help out the PP, while adding some skill on the blueline and still being a big body that can be physical at times.

I know he's probably going to command a gigantic salary, but he would be such a good fit for the habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The goaltending was also much better for the habs in the playoffs. The biggest improvement is how good the PK looked in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

Same thing happened last year when the PK was awful for the regular season but very good in the bubble. I just hope they can translate it to the regular season this time, because they do need it to be better.

Hamilton would look pretty good to add some offense on the blueline, and help out the PP, while adding some skill on the blueline and still being a big body that can be physical at times.

I know he's probably going to command a gigantic salary, but he would be such a good fit for the habs.

I think the biggest change was PK and how we were better at getting the puck out of our own end. I feel the #1 problem we had was stupid turnovers in our own.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
People going to flip out but I believe we will try to bring back Merrill in a depth role.

Well, every team needs a #7 D at minimum salary. Unless they feel Fleury is ready, then a guy like Merrill is probably necessary. It could be Kulak too, but he's quickly becoming overpaid for this role.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Dude stop being delusional. This team went through FAIRY TALE CINDERELLA RUN! we are not a cup contender and the Lightning just showed us what a contender looks like we got f***ing spanked my dude. Price and Weber are old and will need to be replaced we need top end talent we need to stop living in this f***ing fairy tale and do whats needed to be done to become a contender for multiple years not pray we get into the playoffs and and then pray again we go on another cinderella run. Stop dreaming and snap out of it this team is dog shit outside of the young kids. We desperately need multiple top 5 picks.
While I agree that the team as presently constituted should not be seen as a legitimate contender, it is hardly as bad as you have described. A re-tooling is required, not a complete demolition. We have enough cap space available, (if prudently used) and young talent on the team and about to join, that will allow us to make the playoffs. One should not rely on a possible and improbable Cinderella run as a team building philosophy. Nor should one de-value the assets that allowed the Cinderella run to occur in the first place.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
While I agree that the team as presently constituted should not be seen as a legitimate contender, it is hardly as bad as you have described. A re-tooling is required, not a complete demolition. We have enough cap space available, (if prudently used) and young talent on the team and about to join, that will allow us to make the playoffs. One should not rely on a possible and improbable Cinderella run as a team building philosophy. Nor should one de-value the assets that allowed the Cinderella run to occur in the first place.
I agree but a lot of Habs hopefuls are banking on another cinderella run and it took MB how many years? 10? for it to happen. I think sure a total demo of the team is what I think should happen but I know theres a fat chance it happens so I have rethought about it and went with a not resigning Danault and getting some actual offensive weapons we clearly need mind set. We need a deadly LW sniper and some work on the back end and I guess we can go from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad