Rumor: Off Season Trade Thread vol. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
How many people here would trade Turris to get Spezza?

Kind of puts perspective to the value of Spezza

:shakehead

You're talking about a 55 point 24 year old 2-way centre that is tied to a contract until 2018 with a 3.5 mil cap hit. I doubt any team would trade that for any reason outside of a massive, massive overpayment. As long as he's insulated by a healthy Spezza he's likely to improve on those numbers too. Don't be mistaken though a healthy Spezza is leagues better than Turris -- his health and age factor into his value though.

As has been said about a million times...Spezza is much more valuable as a player to Ottawa than anything he could return. We're not hurting for cap space so his cap-hit is a non-factor. Instead of trying to trade him we should be hoping that he gets healthy, because when he's healthy he's a top 10 - 20 player in the league (and it's the only way that he's going to continue to be valuable to this organization).

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
:shakehead

You're talking about a 55 point 24 year old 2-way centre that is tied to a contract until 2018 with a 3.5 mil cap hit. I doubt any team would trade that for any reason outside of a massive, massive overpayment. As long as he's insulated by a healthy Spezza he's likely to improve on those numbers too. Don't be mistaken though a healthy Spezza is leagues better than Turris -- his health and age factor into his value though.

As has been said about a million times...Spezza is much more valuable as a player to Ottawa than anything he could return. We're not hurting for cap space so his cap-hit is a non-factor. Instead of trying to trade him we should be hoping that he gets healthy, because when he's healthy he's a top 10 - 20 player in the league (and it's the only way that he's going to continue to be valuable to this organization).

If they both had the same cap hit I would still take Turris over Spezza. If Spezza isn't scoring or winning faceoffs, he doesn't provide the team with anything else. Turris has far better intangibles, can play pk, better defensively etc.

The Fuhr*

If they both had the same cap hit I would still take Turris over Spezza. If Spezza isn't scoring or winning faceoffs, he doesn't provide the team with anything else. Turris has far better intangibles, can play pk, better defensively etc.

I agree with this

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
And a Stanley Cup ring & was he not also the MVP in those playoffs? Some players make their name in the playoffs, while Brown may be having an off yr he can make up for it in a hurry in the playoffs, all players know that, that's where it counts the most.
4 points in 18 games for Browns last playoffs. Brown has gotten worse every year since LA won. Not just one off year.

Buy low, sell high.
He's been low for awhile. Not just this season.

In his last 180 games he has 59 points. Or 27 points over 82 games.
And I would still trade Spezza for Brown. He brings far more to the table than Spezza does. Because when Spezza isn't scoring, he is a useless liability.

This is like saying Colin Greening brings more than Spezza.

Why the **** do we want this guy making 5.8mil for the next 8 years?

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

Turris has yet to prove he can consistently put up points against other teams top lines

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
What 120 games are you referring to? The ones last year when he was invisible for long stretches or the ones this year where he was playing on the second line behind spezza?

Turris averages slightly more ice time a night then spezza and plays against better players.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Has a team ever won a Stanley Cup with their #1 centre being someone who scores less than 60 points? Just wondering.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Hanzal + Boedker + 2014 1st

for

Spezza + 3rd

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Boedker - Zibby - Hemsky
Hoffman - Hanzal - Stone
Greening - Smith - Neil
Condra

Is that bad? I don't do many of these and guessing value is hard.

Berserker*

4 points in 18 games for Browns last playoffs. Brown has gotten worse every year since LA won. Not just one off year.

He's been low for awhile. Not just this season.

In his last 180 games he has 59 points. Or 27 points over 82 games.

This is like saying Colin Greening brings more than Spezza.

Why the **** do we want this guy making 5.8mil for the next 8 years?

Well the concept of acquiring Brown would be contingent on the assessment by our management and scouting staff on his potential to perform throughout the remainder of that contract. If they feel that he can regain his point production in Ottawa then he is a worthwhile trade target.

Out of curiosity, how many games have you watched of Brown's over that 180 game period that you are referring to? Score sheets and statistics can be very misleading if you aren't watching a player play on a regular basis. They can give you the impression that a player is regressing or playing poorly when in reality they are simply "snake bitten". A great example of this is Scott Hartnell. When the possibility of acquiring Hartnell was brought up on this board, many posters shot ti down quickly stating that he is a third liner at this point in his career and his contract is too big. Then once he got out of his rut he started producing like a top six forward again.

So with that stated, if Brown can produce 50 + points a season throughout the remainder of his contract plus bringing his physicality and intangibles then he would be a great addition to our team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Krejci had 62 points the year Boston won.
Getzlaf had 58 points when the ducks beat us.

Getzlaf wasn't the #1 centre on that team (MacDonald had 78 points btw, and Selanne had 94). Krejci had that in 75 games, but also that's not below 60 points...but if we're praying for our goaltender and defence to put up historic numbers and carry us to a cup that's fine too.

Berserker*

Buy low, sell high.

Exactly, Both Richards and Brown might be able to be acquired for cents on the dollar. Trading Spezza in a package to acquire them would be a good move for this organization.

The only apprehension I have is would it be better to trade Spezza for established players or for young players/prospects?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Getzlaf wasn't the #1 centre on that team (MacDonald had 78 points btw, and Selanne had 94). Krejci had that in 75 games, but also that's not below 60 points...but if we're praying for our goaltender and defence to put up historic numbers and carry us to a cup that's fine too.

I searched "Centre" and the year. Selanne plays wing.
MacDonald was listed as LW that year.

You asked a question, I answered it. You cannot change the perimeters of a question after because you did not like the answer.

Berserker*

If we replace Spezza with Mike Richards then we should be fine. Between Turris and Richards, one of them will likely be able to hit 70 points.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Has a team ever won a Stanley Cup with their #1 centre being someone who scores less than 60 points? Just wondering.

Bruins 2011 had 2-62 pt players bergeron and lucic.

Can't think of many that didn't have at least a couple 80+ scorers.

You look at the centers who won last few years. Most you could put out in all situations and expect them to dominate play/possession, no matter what the situation.
Toews
Kopitar
Bergeron/Krejci
Toews
Crosby
Zetterberg/Datsuk
Young Getzlaf
Staal
Lecavalier

Hard to say whether Spezza today or Turris in the future can put themselves in this company. Maybe them as a 1-2 tandem is the way to go, if the price is right to resign Spezza.

Berserker*

Imagine how many penalties a guy like Brown would get in Ottawa. The guy is damned lucky he's playing on a Cali team.

The Sens don't play hard enough and that often leads to them taking a bunch of dumb penalties. Certainly there is a risk that adding physical players will lead to increased penalties but that isn't necessarily the case as the refs don't catch everything that physical players do and often times they are effective at drawing penalties which off sets the ones that they take.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I searched "Centre" and the year. Selanne plays wing.
MacDonald was listed as LW that year.

You asked a question, I answered it. You cannot change the perimeters of a question after because you did not like the answer.

Again, Getzlaf wasn't the #1 centre and was playing 15 minutes a game (he also went on to put up 82 points the very next season, but we'll pretend like Getzlaf and Turris are comparable talents).

Berserker*

I do not want Dustin Brown.

Guy is a little coward punk.

Brown is one of those guys that you hate to play against but you love if they are on your team. I am pretty confident that if we acquired him, it wouldn't take you long to become a fan.

The only "dirty players" that I think we should avoid are guys like Matt Cooke who intentionally try and injure players.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also MacDonald might be listed as a LW by NHL.com that year but he took the 2nd most faceoffs on the team. Maybe they just got kicked out of the circle a lot??? He was a centre with the Ducks AFAIR.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Brown is one of those guys that you hate to play against but you love if they are on your team. I am pretty confident that if we acquired him, it wouldn't take you long to become a fan.

The only "dirty players" that I think we should avoid are guys like Matt Cooke who intentionally try and injure players.

Ask any fan in the pacific division if they think Brown does his schtick on purpose or not.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Also MacDonald might be listed as a LW by NHL.com that year but he took the 2nd most faceoffs on the team. Maybe they just got kicked out of the circle a lot??? He was a centre with the Ducks AFAIR.

Think you're right. Getzlaf really only started turning up in that playoffs and took control in the finals and the next season.

Berserker*

Ask any fan in the pacific division if they think Brown does his schtick on purpose or not.

There is a difference between a guy running around, taking runs at people and making late hits as compared to intentionally targeting players knees, using blindside elbows to the head and stomping of players calf's with your skate.

Brown can be a bit of a rat out there but he isn't really much worse then your average agitator. And you can't rely on what divisional rival fans say, they are completely biased. Go ask fans in our division what they think of Neil, I am sure you will get a ton of responses that he is a dirty player that he should be kicked out of the league that he should be fined and suspended yet he never has been suspended of fined. Brown would be like having another Neil but instead of the fighting ability, he can produce offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad