Rumor: Off Season Trade Thread vol. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Funny how crappy Spezza is but the haters have him being traded for the moon.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If we were not stuck with an internal budget, Greenings contract would be fine. He works hard every game. But since we have the budget everyone jumps on him like he was making 6M a season.

I disagree with that logic. A contending team would probably be trying to rid themselves of Greening even harder than Murray probably is to fill a more important hole on their roster.

And you said it yourself ...to the Sens, Greening's contract is about the equivalent of 5-6 mil to a cap team. That is brutally bad for a player that will never be more than a decent 3rd liner IF he ever recovers his game.

If it were me, I'd be packaging Greening to a rebuilding team that has money with a 2nd or a good prospect to get him far away from here. Grant, Dizzy, Pageau, Schneider, Lazar, etc. Could all replace what he brings and be on ELC's.

Considering how many players Murray has to sign coming up, dumping Greening should be very high on the priority list. If he is retained, that could be the difference between retaining just Ryan, instead of Ryan + MacArthur or Hemsky, etc. It's of upmost importance to get rid of him.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Greening, like Phillips, is taking up a spot that a developing player should be skating in. Murray wants a vet on the roster - it's Greening's spot that should be given up, not Stone's or Hoffman's.

Greening may work hard, but he does not produce results. No one gives anything because you tried real hard. They give you something for the points you put in/help put in the bank.

Sign Hemsky, trade/waive Greening;

Ryan - Spezza - Hemsky should be given a real shot next season.

Hoffman is the new Greening

The Fuhr*

You were all over that signing last summer. You kept going on about how expensive he was going to be and when Murray locked him up you praised the deal as being less than what you expected.

So, of all people people on this board, you should know what the rush was - get him locked up at a good rate before he possibly became too expensive as a UFA. It was a good move by Murray - you said so at the time - and it's ridiculous to revise that assessment with the advantage of hindsight.

The problem wasn't the signing, it's been Greening's regression since the signing.

The Greening contract is actually what got me to change my views on third line players under the cap.

I don't think giving security to third line players make sense ... These are energy guys, tone setters ... Without financial security they will be motivated to preform... Can constantly replace these guys too when they get to expensive... Grinders are dime a dozen.

I like Greening, if this team could spend to the cap it really would not be a problem.. BM should know his budget tho and if that contract prevents us from bringing in a top six forward, that's on BM

The Fuhr*

Ottawa is not "stuck" with anything, if there is amove that will make the team better they will do it, even if it means buying out/trading Greening.

Ottawa could not even afford the rest of Hemskys contract so they gave the Oilers a 5th to eat half (Potentially a Stone, Pageu with Sens scouts)

What makes you think the Sens have money?

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Fuhr, did you like the Greening signing when it happened? Yes or No?

Are you suggesting that BM shouldn't look to sign Ryan or Spezza or Anderson - I mean he has a year to evaluate whether they regress or not? Oh no, what he can do is watch how they progress next year then time travel back a year and sign them to a contract based on what they'll do in that one year.

I wonder what you'll say about Greenings contract if he goes on to score 20 next year...I guess we'll be waiting on the edge of our seats...

Don Maloney for GM

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Assuming that rumours are true and Spezza has asked for a trade and that Colorado was one of the teams interested, then I would try and do something like this:

Spezza + Cowen + Greening for R. O'Reilly + N. Holden

MacArthur - Turris - B. Ryan
O'Reilly - Zibanejad - M. Stone
Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar
Smith - Grant - Neil

Holden - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Phillips

I would let Hemsky and Michalek walk and that leaves us with tons of cap space to upgrade wherever needed. Love Hemsky but not sure if he would want to come back if Spezza and Michalek aren't here.

I wouldn't mind getting C. Stewart from Buf as an upgrade if Hoffman doesn't pan out.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Yeah our pro-scouting department should have totally anticipated that Colin Greening would regress to the worst numbers of his career the very next year after he signs his contract.

The guy went from 17 goals in 2011-12 to 17 points this year. How the **** does anyone expect that to happen or to make sense?

yeah its weird, its almost as if he went from playing with one of the best offensive players in the world to not....
how could anyone have seen that coming.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
In the playoffs when the Ducks won the cup
McDonald: 21-10-14
Getzlaf: 21-7-17
Those numbers should be attainable for Turris and Zibanejad

What made the Ducks special was the elite checking center that was Samuel Pahlsson.
14:08ES 3rd (Selanne at 14:47ES 1st)
5:05SH

Im going to say it had more to do with their two Hall of fame defenceman and Beauchemin who played like one.
That with a deep group of physical forwards and good goaltending.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Forgive me but where are the rumours that Spezza has asked for a trade (with 4 games left in the regular season) posted/coming from?

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa

Are you suggesting that BM shouldn't look to sign Ryan or Spezza or Anderson - I mean he has a year to evaluate whether they regress or not? Oh no, what he can do is watch how they progress next year then time travel back a year and sign them to a contract based on what they'll do in that one year.

I wonder what you'll say about Greenings contract if he goes on to score 20 next year...I guess we'll be waiting on the edge of our seats...

Don Maloney for GM
Anderson and Spezza are not comparable to Greening. The sample size difference is huge.

The Fuhr*

Don Maloney for GM

I liked the Greening deal because I feared he'd explode and demand Bickell money

Greening made like 900K this season... My expectations will rise next season with his raise.

Should have waited tho... Def would not have got 3.2 in his 3rd year

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I realize that Loaghaire - I'm trying to be as obtuse as possible so that I'm speaking to Fuhr's level.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If spezza is going to the duck Benny lovejoy better be coming the other way. 1st silfverberg lovejoy and something. If blues or ducks or kings don't make noise in the playoffs, pretty safe bet they come calling for spez.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
In the playoffs when the Ducks won the cup
McDonald: 21-10-14
Getzlaf: 21-7-17
Those numbers should be attainable for Turris and Zibanejad

What made the Ducks special was the elite checking center that was Samuel Pahlsson.
14:08ES 3rd (Selanne at 14:47ES 1st)
5:05SH

That only works if you've got the Ducks depth.

Do we have a 3rd line centre that could score 21-3-9 while playing elite defence like Pahlsson did?

Do we have wingers who can score

Perry 21-6-9
Selanne 21-5-10
Moen 21-7-5
Niedermayer 21-5-5

What about defencemen that can score

Pronger 19-3-12 (Ok Karlsson could probably do this)
Niedermayer 21-3-8

We don't have those guys this is not a legit comparison.

This team had 9 guys with 10+ points in other words 9 guys who were above or very near .5 ppg.

We've got 5 this year including Spezza. Our overall depth needs a major overhaul or amazing development if we're going to win a cup with Turris and Zibanejad as our top 2 centers.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
That only works if you've got the Ducks depth.

Do we have a 3rd line centre that could score 21-3-9 while playing elite defence like Pahlsson did?

Do we have wingers who can score

Perry 21-6-9
Selanne 21-5-10
Moen 21-7-5
Niedermayer 21-5-5

What about defencemen that can score

Pronger 19-3-12 (Ok Karlsson could probably do this)
Niedermayer 21-3-8

We don't have those guys this is not a legit comparison.

This team had 9 guys with 10+ points in other words 9 guys who were above or very near .5 ppg.

We've got 5 this year including Spezza. Our overall depth needs a major overhaul or amazing development if we're going to win a cup with Turris and Zibanejad as our top 2 centers.

And this is where patience is key. Our core is very young and we have several players playing in the AHL who have significant potential. A key trade, a key UFA signing and 2 more years of development and we will be close.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Going into next season we need 1 top 6 guy to play with Spezza plus resogn Hemsky a guy to play with Karlsson and a better bottom 6 whether that's from within or not.

???? Spezza Hemsky
CMac Turris Ryan
????? Zibanejad ?????
???? Smith Neil

?????? Karlsson
Methot Ceci
Phillips ??????

Weircoich Gryba

These are the exact holes as I see it to becoming a real playoff team in the east.

Our team right now is about 6 players away from a good team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Spezza is traded, the return better be so mindblowing that to not have made the trade would have been insanity. Can't imagine many scenarios where the Senators trade Spezza and get better. Despite what the many delusional Spezza haters have to say.

Well, the position held by several people here is that we have a better team when Spezza isn't playing. They'll be happy when he's gone no matter what the return is.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ottawa could not even afford the rest of Hemskys contract so they gave the Oilers a 5th to eat half (Potentially a Stone, Pageu with Sens scouts)

What makes you think the Sens have money?

You don't know that.

Sounds like a good way to make deal, I don't know, if you can get the team to pick up some salary, as a business owner, I would always be looking to save money.

My guess would be that no one wanted Hemsky and Ottawa was able to get maximum out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad