GDT: Off-Season Thread IV - July 1st 'Oh ****' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
5 years to s guy who's already on the decline? I can't accept this.

He is on the decline? Injury prone, yes. He can't score on breakaways but his speed and forechecking will be good for the Wings I think. Maybe the years are a little long but I am fine with it. Too bad we are not flys on the walls when this meetings and negotiations go on. If we fans were able to know more than we may look at things differently.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He is on the decline? Injury prone, yes. He can't score on breakaways but his speed and forechecking will be good for the Wings I think. Maybe the years are a little long but I am fine with it. Too bad we are not flys on the walls when this meetings and negotiations go on. If we fans were able to know more than we may look at things differently.

Speed is the first thing to go and Helm is about to be 30. Helm's only asset is his skating, in 2 years he's going to be useless. And to your last part, no - sorry. Not anymore. Too many stats available, too much footage. There's no way to look differently at contracts like this or Dan Cleary contracts. They're brutal no matter how anyone spins it.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Most often Holland's contracts are defensible if you look at it through the teams' perspective. The Helm deal is just... not.

The Nyquist deal made sense in context. The Abdelkader deal makes sense in context. Ericsson too, really.

I don't know what the point is with the Helm contract. It's bad right away. I need to have someone present a case explaining this to me, because I'm not seeing it.

No, not 'Holland is a moron'.

The Abdelkader, Howard, and Ericsson deals were terrible when they were signed and are bad now, just like the Helm deal. The context hasn't shifted at all.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It seems like this is pretty clear evidence that all the Illitches want is another year on the streak, and that a good team isn't really of interest. It's unfortunate local fans won't just stop going to the games until management takes some steps to actually get better.
I hear ya. I cut the cord on cable 3 years ago, partly feeling that I wouldn't miss this team with the direction they appeared to be going.

But now it's gone beyond frustrating to downright embarrassing.

Somebody please explain to this front office, that negotiating as if you're petrified to ever lose a player, no matter how good or bad the player is, isn't actually negotiating at all.

Just...just horrendous. :facepalm:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I need to hear what Radulov signed for, I could be really angry before fa even officially starts.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I hear ya. I cut the cord on cable 3 years ago, partly feeling that I wouldn't miss this team with the direction they appeared to be going.

But now it's gone beyond frustrating to downright embarrassing.

Somebody please explain to this front office, that negotiating as if you're petrified to ever lose a player, no matter how good or bad the player is, isn't actually negotiating at all.

Just...just horrendous. :facepalm:

Yzerman played negotiation jujitsu with Stamkos and was willing to lose him. Ken Holland bent over and took it from Darren Helm. :shakehead

Oct 18, 2006
This team is actually afraid of change aren't they? Like seriously petrified of actually doing something different?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yzerman played negotiation jujitsu with Stamkos and was willing to lose him. Ken Holland bent over and took it from Darren Helm. :shakehead

Risk-taker with chutzpah vs conservative old man who plays its safer than when they treat the nuclear launch codes.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
This team is actually afraid of change aren't they? Like seriously petrified of actually doing something different?
garth+we+fear+change.gif

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Cue the memes from the Iraqi Information Minister.

EVERYTHING IS FINE! WE LOVE OUR PLAYERS! WE SHALL BE COMPETITIVE!

Uh huh. And I have some beautiful oceanfront property in Nebraska that you'll just adore...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Wings are okay with 5 years for ****ing Helm but won't even go above 1 for Radulov?

....yeah sounds about right

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Helm gets a 5 year contract and radulov a one year offer. Uh,OK... Classic we tried wink wink but what can ya do kick at the tires.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
the Wings are okay with 5 years for ****ing Helm but won't even go above 1 for Radulov?

....yeah sounds about right

Right?
How the **** can you not offer 2 on what could be the value deal of fa, but give proven mediocrity 5 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad