GDT: Off-Season Thread IV - July 1st 'Oh ****' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2006
Why is Holland so predictable? Why is he re-signing Helm? He's not going to help us moving forward. He's injury prone, offensively non existent, and on the decline. Sure, give the man a raise!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So, every single player the team ever adds should be primarily offensive, at least until the offense is taken care of? You can't, you know, maybe look at adding offense and preserving defense at the same time?

*Looks at GF/GA last season* *Sees the only playoff team with a negative goal differential and the lowest goals for*

Yeah, maybe they should focus on signing offensive players. Especially with half their team regressing.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The reason you guys are all going mental here is that you just want to see a bunch of kids. Then, when the roster melts down and the team tanks, well, that's actually what you really wanted all along.

The organization wants to make the playoffs, and Holland wants to make the playoffs, so you (possibly) sign Helm for 2 or 3 years at ~2.75 a season because he's a better bottom 6 winger than Jurco is.

The team flat out doesn't want what you want, and they haven't for 3+ years now. It's not at all an inscrutable decision-making process if someone can set aside their own value system and look at the situation through someone elses.

this seems wildly optimistic in both term and money

i'm expecting something more along the lines of ~4 million for 4-5 years or ~3.5 million for 6-7

edit::laugh:

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Almost 4 mil AAV at 5 years for a player who's never hit 35 points.

Yup, this day is going to be horrible.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Holland it's called a negotiation, not an auction, the number is supposed to go down from the number Helm says, not up.

Seriously. This is a **** contract.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Refreshing, and I agree with you.

Most often Holland's contracts are defensible if you look at it through the teams' perspective. The Helm deal is just... not.

The Nyquist deal made sense in context. The Abdelkader deal makes sense in context. Ericsson too, really.

I don't know what the point is with the Helm contract. It's bad right away. I need to have someone present a case explaining this to me, because I'm not seeing it.

No, not 'Holland is a moron'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad