Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VII: Things keep happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It’s a strange one imo. I take Fisher over Davis and Palacios and even the ne guy Payamps.

No way those 3 guys stay on the 40 man. More moves should happen.
I agree on the last 2 guys, but despite his age, at least Davis is good at one thing: defense. He can run and catch. That's literally all he needs to do to he better than Fisher.

Fisher looks nervous when fly balls come his way and his defense is scary. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but if he can't hit either then no time to find out how to fix it.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It’s a strange one imo. I take Fisher over Davis and Palacios and even the ne guy Payamps.

I'm surprised because I just assumed Payamps would be on the move... pretty sure Fisher's better than him.

Davis can play CF and Palacios has options, so they both have something to offer. They're all in the same group though.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I dunno, Davis and Palacios are both better defenders than Fisher, both can play CF. They run just about as well.
Payamps, I don’t know as well, but there’s a clearer agenda adding pitching.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It’s a strange one imo. I take Fisher over Davis and Palacios and even the new guy Payamps.

Barring a Grichuk move none of Davis, Fisher or Palacios were going to be on the 26 man roster. Fisher didn't have options the other 2 did. Even ignoring other factors it makes sense to cut the one you were going to have to cut in April anyway.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I agree on the last 2 guys, but despite his age, at least Davis is good at one thing: defense. He can run and catch. That's literally all he needs to do to he better than Fisher.

Fisher looks nervous when fly balls come his way and his defense is scary. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but if he can't hit either then no time to find out how to fix it.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica

I think it spot on with Fish. Its a mental/confidence thing

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that the Red Sox have reached agreement on a deal with Marwin Gonzalez.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Fisher's definitely going to end up in Pittsburgh. They'll probably just claim him, but a trade (Fisher and Roark for Frazier or something) would be awesome.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I would still be surprised if they don't add another starter.
If they don't then im betting the under on those 85 win projections.

We were told 2 elite players or 4 very good players, it's time to start stocking the rotation. If we go into the season with Matz as anything more than a spot starter project, something has gone wrong.

Reactions: weems and smitty10

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
By simple math, Shapiro was equating 1 elite player to 2 very good players. So, Springer is the elite player and Semien is a very good player. I think if we sign Odorizzi/Paxton/Walker I'd say him and Atkins delivered on their promise.

And I don't see how they don't add that starter.

Reactions: smitty10

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
ryu
paxton
walker
ray
pearson

i woulda liked if we aimed higher with our staff, but im ok if we start the year like this, this group has potential to be very good and can easily be put together...if we have a good start then look to trade for another 1-2 arm in season, if we look close to contention, fans would be more willing to lose prospects for a chance at it all

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
After Ryu it looks like busy action for the bullpen.
Pearson will be monitored for workload.
Ray/Roark/Stripling/Matz all coming off rough years. Maybe the setup will be tandem starters. Lots of options, not many sure things.
I suspect the AAA gang might be treated the same way to be healthy and strong for the stretch, and may filter back up in the second half.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
As I called out immediately after the Phelps signing Fisher was let go yesterday. This was long over due and thank god that the Astros have nothing to show from that trade, everyone was a bust.

As for moving forward, the Jays do have some arms on their radar to strengthen their rotation. I will say once again they are still involved in trade discussions aside from free agents. This is the reason why some of these pitchers are still on the market and not signed.

They are major players and are holding up the market now.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Not that it is a big need, but bench bats moving off the board with him and Gonzalez gone for in the $3-4 million range.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Not that it is a big need, but bench bats moving off the board with him and Gonzalez gone for in the $3-4 million range.

Focus not really on bench right now. SP is the main focus as it should be.

Bench players will be a plenty come the week before Spring Training. Always is. Players looking for a home on 1yr deals. Shouldnt be hard to compliment our roster with dumpster diving type signings as the Jays have done in the past with their bullpen. I can see a couple of invites to spring training with possible contract on players like:

Joe Panik (30)
Chris Owings (29)
Brock Holt (33)
Jake Lamb (30)
Eduardo Núñez (34)
Travis Shaw (31)
Zack Cozart (35)
Daniel Descalso (34)
Jason Kipnis (34)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If the Jays do not make anymore trades and only sign a SP or two for rotation. Their bench isnt all that bad. It's actually better then last season:

One of Tellez, Vladdy and Biggio will be on bench every game.

One of Grichuk, Gurriel or Hernandez will be on bench every game.

One of Kirk or McGuire will be on bench depending on who makes backup C. With Jansen on bench when not playing.

Espinola is a nice infield piece and base runner.

Davis is a nice outfield piece and base runner.

Those are 5 bench spots right there. People may say we need power threats but we have that. People may say we need speed but we have that. The only place we may need an upgrade is in the INF for Espinola. But other then that if no one is traded their bench is solid. With players that can start any given day.

The perfect signing for the Jays is Brock Holt. Plays INF and OF. Good defensively, quick on base paths, and has proven to handle the bat in the past. The Jays were interested before, and should be again if they can get a decent contract with him.

Reactions: BigBlu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig