Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VII: Things keep happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Last thread filled up thanks to the high drama of the Steven Matz acquisition.

But the most significant news is that lost in all these Jays transactions is something of the gravest importance:

Nick Swisher was shut out on his first and now only appearance on a Hall of Fame ballot.

So once more, with feeling:

DlNiVkvU4AA2OPV.jpg

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Pearson is the teams biggest x factor imo.

If he's good next season and potentially dominates than you'd be able to have a Ryu-Pearson + guys like Odorizzi, Ray, Walker etc rotation and it'd be solid.

If Pearson is not ready then I'm not convinced our rotation without a very good #2 will be good enough to contend.

If you get a good #2 and Pearson is dominant, you'd have the makings of a great rotation.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Time to bring Thor home next off-season. Always interesting to think about the ripple effects of the Dickey trade. Imagine Syndergaard in that 2015-16 rotation.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I know next year is a phenomenal SS free agent class but I really hope our front office strictly focuses on the SP and RP. We're pretty set with our offense and positional players and have great prospects in Groshans and Martin who aren't too far behind.

Next off season,
Sign Thor
Sign McCullers

Ryu
Thor
McCullers
Pearson
Anyone lol

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Jays will be patient now with the pitching market. First domino that needs to fall is Bauer going to another team. Then the Jays will circle around to a Paxton/Odorizzi/Walker and get one of them signed on a 1 year deal overpaid. It's pretty clear the Jays plan. Be good this year, be in the fight for the playoffs. Then 2022 baby, with a stacked free agent market, even more money to work with.. with all the money coming off the books end of this year and maybe increased payroll. 2022 hopefully fans allowed back in the stadium and Jays playing at home. 2022 is their year to begin contending, and that will equate to sell outs galore, and a championship hopefully.

Reactions: Avilaj07

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Jays will be patient now with the pitching market. First domino that needs to fall is Bauer going to another team. Then the Jays will circle around to a Paxton/Odorizzi/Walker and get one of them signed on a 1 year deal overpaid. It's pretty clear the Jays plan. Be good this year, be in the fight for the playoffs. Then 2022 baby, with a stacked free agent market, even more money to work with.. with all the money coming off the books end of this year and maybe increased payroll. 2022 hopefully fans allowed back in the stadium and Jays playing at home. 2022 is their year to begin contending, and that will equate to sell outs galore, and a championship hopefully.

Couldn't agree more. Next offseason is the season to really go ALL IN. With the amount of solid starting pitching next off season, I really hope we don't look to lock any of the remaining ufa starters to long term deals. I'd look at either Paxton or Odorizzi for a 1yr deal to help us contend this year.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Couldn't agree more. Next offseason is the season to really go ALL IN. With the amount of solid starting pitching next off season, I really hope we don't look to lock any of the remaining ufa starters to long term deals. I'd look at either Paxton or Odorizzi for a 1yr deal to help us contend this year.

Why wouldn't the Jays want to lock-in some starting pitching now? Here's my reasoning on thinking that the Jays would want to prioritize now vs next year. At this moment, there are teams desperately looking at shedding salary and other notable teams like the Yankees who are trying to stay under the luxury tax. How often are the Jays a primed destination because they're really one of the few options?

I also don't see any starters next year that would be a Jays target. I don't think Kershaw leaves LA. You're not going to tie up term with Greinke. You're going to have a ton of teams going after Scherzer and Syndergaard and if the league returns to generating any sort of revenue, it makes it tougher for the Jays to compete with other teams in FA.

I think you can still throw money at Odorizzi on a 2 year inflated deal and still have the same opportunity to sign the mid level guys that you'd be targeting next off-season.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Why wouldn't the Jays want to lock-in some starting pitching now? Here's my reasoning on thinking that the Jays would want to prioritize now vs next year. At this moment, there are teams desperately looking at shedding salary and other notable teams like the Yankees who are trying to stay under the luxury tax. How often are the Jays a primed destination because they're really one of the few options?

I also don't see any starters next year that would be a Jays target. I don't think Kershaw leaves LA. You're not going to tie up term with Greinke. You're going to have a ton of teams going after Scherzer and Syndergaard and if the league returns to generating any sort of revenue, it makes it tougher for the Jays to compete with other teams in FA.

I think you can still throw money at Odorizzi on a 2 year inflated deal and still have the same opportunity to sign the mid level guys that you'd be targeting next off-season.

There are about 10 starters next year who can be solid 1 or 2 starters and while fans may be back by then and revenue will be coming in again, I highly doubt teams will still be operating as normal. Signing any pictures for more then 1 year this off season I think will hinder this team to truly make serious noise.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I would agree that the best chance the Jays have to acquire salary either through FA or trade is this season. Next season we will be competing against a larger field.

Shatkins knows this and knows the money coming off books next season. Smart men would throw the check book at Bauer and your set this year and next. But I dont think this will happen. Maybe signing a couple of pitchers like Paxton to a 1 plus 1 deal helps. Hoping he regains form.

Reactions: Avilaj07

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With Moresi reporting Arenado looks to be on the outs, is that something we explore? Do the Jays gamble and make a move for their long term 3rd baseman? If it means getting rid of Roark and Grichuk contracts plus mid prospects, I think it's something you have to explore.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Top 100 MLB prospects for 2021: Keith Law's rankings are here, with Wander Franco at No. 1
Five Blue Jays prospects made the list. I've included their rank and the last line of Law's comment about them. The comments are usually a paragraph long and explain the ranking.
  • 5. Nate Pearson - "If he can stay healthy, there are very few starting pitching prospects who can match his stuff and size, which give him the ceiling of a No. 1 starter."
  • 14. Austin Martin - "This bat at a skill position is pretty unusual and gives him some MVP upside, although we should be a little cautious since he has yet to take a pro at-bat."
  • 79. Alek Manoah - "He does have to keep his body in shape, but if he stays healthy he should be in the Blue Jays’ rotation within the next two seasons, with mid-rotation upside."
  • 92. Alejandro Kirk - "His bat will make him a longtime regular as a catcher, with a chance to be a star if he keeps his body in shape for it."
  • 98. Orelvis Martinez - "He has an enormous ceiling as a strong OBP guy with 25-30 homers and plus defense at third. We just need to see how the bat plays at higher levels."
Edit: No, I did not miss Jordan Groshans, he is simply not in Law's top 100.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
With Moresi reporting Arenado looks to be on the outs, is that something we explore? Do the Jays gamble and make a move for their long term 3rd baseman? If it means getting rid of Roark and Grichuk contracts plus mid prospects, I think it's something you have to explore.

I would expect that if any deal were to be possible for Arenado it would need to include one of or both of Biggio and Gurriel. The signings of Springer and Semien have opened up those possibilities. Prospects such as Kirk, Moreno, Groshans and Manoah would be ones that may be included in the deal. You may also see a contract such as Roark and/or Grichuk dumped as well.

We have the pieces to get the deal completed, its whether the price is willing to be paid by the Jays with the chance that Arenado opts out next off season. If anything we may have made our team more enviable for a player like Arenado with bringing in Springer and the core we have which also includes Bichette, Guerrero, Ryu, Pearson and others.

Maybe there is a deal to be made with one of their pitchers coming over in a deal along with Arenado. Someone like Gray. We do have history dealing with the Rockies, so this may help our cause.

Lets see what happens.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Adam Frazier is available from the Pirates. Super utility player (2B, 3B, all OF positions), hits left. If all avenues fail for a 3B option, is this guy an option? Would be a great player that adds flex to our bench and everyday lineup.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Was this a good deal or bad for the jays?

We bought extremely low on a guy that is projected to put up #4 numbers this year.

Reid-Foley is the main piece, and at this point, he doesn’t appear to be much more than a potential pen arm. So we traded a potential pen arm, for a rotation piece. Though, there’s an argument that Matz should be in the bullpen

Overall, it’s a wash right now. Matz could bounce back with us and turn it into a good deal. Or maybe Reid-Foley puts it all together with the Mets. Who knows

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Atkins: “ we're at the point now where if we were to acquire two major pieces, it would require likely subtracting from our roster. “Not for financial reasons, but just because of opportunity reasons,”

Ach. Leave it to this guy to leave me with a bitter aftertaste even after this offseason.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
His home/away splits scream Tulo 2.0 tbh.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Atkins: “ we're at the point now where if we were to acquire two major pieces, it would require likely subtracting from our roster. “Not for financial reasons, but just because of opportunity reasons,”

Ach. Leave it to this guy to leave me with a bitter aftertaste even after this offseason.

This shouldnt be bitter at all. Its common sense and in line with what I posted earlier. He has built a team that has enough flexibility and depth that if we were to upgrade a position in our lineup (3B or SP or both) it would subtract from our existing 40 man. This is obvious.

So if the Jays go after a Arenado, the Jays would need to include players like Gurriel or Biggio or Hernandez or Kirk!!! As I stated earlier. But like I stated, the Jays have covered for a situation as such by signing players like Springer, or Semien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad