Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VII: Things keep happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Too much. One of the main pieces and secondary prospects. Biggio, Roark and lower prospects sure. I hesitate on Biggio but there’s no spot for him after this deal. I guess he could be a cheap super utility guy

I understand that the Cubs would be looking for a catching prospect in any deal with us. Contreras is on the way out there as well, and they would want to backfill the spot with a prospect that is not to far off.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Too much. One of the main pieces and secondary prospects. Biggio, Roark and lower prospects sure. I hesitate on Biggio but there’s no spot for him after this deal. I guess he could be a cheap super utility guy

I wouldn't deal Biggio just based on this coming season's roster. Come 2022 Semien is a fa again and suddenly biggio can slide right back in at 2b. Plus his flexibility and batter profile are big boons to this roster even in its current construction.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I wouldn't deal Biggio just based on this coming season's roster. Come 2022 Semien is a fa again and suddenly biggio can slide right back in at 2b. Plus his flexibility and batter profile are big boons to this roster even in its current construction.

I agree, would rather deal from OF surplus. But the ask could very well be Biggio and this is why Semien may have been signed. Could be a long term solution we dont know!!! But it did open up options moving forward. The fact that Semien was interested in coming for one season, may give us the upper hand in resigning moving forward throughout the season.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Blue Jays Are Going for It—and Baseball Is More Fun As a Result - The Ringer

Remember the 2015 Toronto Blue Jays? That team kicked so much ass.

Between Toronto’s 1993 World Series–winning group and that one, the Blue Jays had rolled out an assembly line of homegrown power hitters surrounded by well-paid veterans past their prime. That led to some ugly uniforms, a lot of hovering around .500, and zero postseason appearances. But in 2015, it all came together. José Bautista and Edwin Encarnación were as good as ever. Veterans like Russell Martin, R.A. Dickey, and Mark Buehrle put together some of their last good seasons. And a few young players started to poke up through the grass: Marcus Stroman returned from injury to spark the rotation late in the season, while rookie second baseman Devon Travis came up and hit like Joe Morgan.

But most of all, this franchise, which for decades had scuttled by as another Great Lakes also-ran, woke up one morning and realized it had titanically wealthy corporate owners and sole possession of a home market bigger than Chicago. So the Jays traded for Josh Donaldson, who hit 41 home runs and won the AL MVP award in his first season in Toronto. And in one feverish three-day span in July, they added shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and eventual Cy Young runner-up David Price.

This team could hit, pitch, run, dance, laugh, cry, and do your taxes. They won the AL East by six games, and their plus-221 run differential led all of baseball by nearly 100 runs. Once in the playoffs, they gave us one of the most nerve-racking, ludicrous innings in baseball history, capped by the most famous celebration in sports this side of the Funky Chicken.

The Jays didn’t win it all that year—the Kansas City Royals took Toronto out in the ALCS. But this dream team, this relentless offensive juggernaut, had popped up almost overnight in a city that’s way more sports-obsessed than most Americans realize. It was match-in-the-gas-can stuff. My own lifelong rooting interests notwithstanding, the 2015 Blue Jays are my favorite baseball team ever, and I’m not sure it’s particularly close.

The Blue Jays aren’t good that often, but it seems like when they are, they get there by following a similar blueprint. Like that 2015 team, the 1992-93 iteration was also packed with elite hitters and cycled through ring-chasing superstars like they were ice cream samples at Jeni’s: Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, David Cone, Paul Molitor, and so on. And this year, with this roster, the cycle seems primed to repeat itself.

Reactions: Auston 316

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
To add to what you're saying, Biggio is under team control for a long time as well. That only adds to his value.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Springer
Bichette
Semien
Vladdy
Gurriel
Tellez
Hernandez
Jansen
Biggio

I like Biggio at 9 so its like another good hitter prior to the top of order.

Is this what were looking at?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Springer
Bichette
Semien
Vladdy
Gurriel
Tellez
Hernandez
Jansen
Biggio

Semien will be in the bottom third of the lineup. I dont think you wanna have Biggio 9th, giving him less at-bats.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Springer
Bichette
Semien
Vladdy
Gurriel
Tellez
Hernandez
Jansen
Biggio

Pretty much, but Grichuk will be batting 4th

https%3A%2F%2Fjaysjournal.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1169471092-850x560.jpeg

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Springer
Bichette
Semien
Vladdy
Gurriel
Tellez
Hernandez
Jansen
Biggio

If he remains a Jay that would be the best bet. Having him at the bottom of the order gives Jays opportunity to turn lineup around more frequently for the top of the order as you stated.

Biggio has a good eye, not afraid to take the walk. Very important for a number 9 hitter.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Springer
Bichette
Semien
Vladdy
Gurriel
Tellez
Hernandez
Jansen
Biggio

You know what's also like putting another good hitter at the top of the order?

Actually putting him at the top of the order.

Biggio should still bat leadoff for this roster. He's the best obp guy the team has. By a fair amount.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I understand that the Cubs would be looking for a catching prospect in any deal with us. Contreras is on the way out there as well, and they would want to backfill the spot with a prospect that is not to far off.
I’d be ok moving a catcher but not on top on one of Biggio/Gurriel

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Biggio
Bichette
Springer
Hernandez
Gurriel
Semien
Guerrero
Tellez
Jansen

This is probably what I would start the season with as of now. I’d be doing so with the hope that Vladdy can work his way up to the cleanup spot at some point.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I know what you mean and his ability to get on base is incredible. It’s hard to justify moving him but I wouldn’t be upset if it was in the right deal. It’s hard figuring out who makes the most sense as a value piece to move out. I can give pros and cons for many guys.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With Shi just coming out and saying the Jays are looking to move Roark, it's even more reason to believe that they're up to something that includes big money. I'm not saying Bauer but more along the lines of a SP + 3rd baseman package.

Bryant and Hendricks
Maustakus and Gray/Castillo
Arenado and Gray

The 3 above are the combos I can think of

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Someone posted elsewhere recently about an analytically based lineup where you plug in the player's stats and it spits out all the best scenarios and run-expectancies. I'll see if I can find it, but based on projected stats for next year, most of the best scenarios had Springer-Vlad-Semien as the top three hitters.

Reactions: Morgs

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
With Shi just coming out and saying the Jays are looking to move Roark, it's even more reason to believe that they're up to something that includes big money. I'm not saying Bauer but more along the lines of a SP + 3rd baseman package.

Bryant and Hendricks
Arenado and Gray

Well to be fair it’s a pretty safe assumption that they’d like to get out of that deal

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009

Bryant and Hendricks
Arenado and Gray

where did Shi say this?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
5 Jays in Law's top 100

• 5. Nate Pearson - "If he can stay healthy, there are very few starting pitching prospects who can match his stuff and size, which give him the ceiling of a No. 1 starter."
  • 14. Austin Martin - "This bat at a skill position is pretty unusual and gives him some MVP upside, although we should be a little cautious since he has yet to take a pro at-bat."
  • 79. Alek Manoah - "He does have to keep his body in shape, but if he stays healthy he should be in the Blue Jays’ rotation within the next two seasons, with mid-rotation upside."
  • 92. Alejandro Kirk - "His bat will make him a longtime regular as a catcher, with a chance to be a star if he keeps his body in shape for it."
  • 98. Orelvis Martinez - "He has an enormous ceiling as a strong OBP guy with 25-30 homers and plus defense at third. We just need to see how the bat plays at higher levels."
No Groshans, who I've seen top 50 in other lists. Seems higher on Martinez than most, no?

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
Don't know how likely it is, but if the Jays can't/don't move Roark it'd be a nice surprise if he performed well this season. Still need to sign/acquire another starter but Roark as your #5 wouldn't be the worst unless of course, he sucks again.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Arent there alot of people that think SWR is a better pitching prospect than Manoah?

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
Blue Jays likely not done adding after trading for Steven Matz from Mets

In this one, Shi says he is speculating when suggsting it... That's all I could find.

In reading the article he’s just using Roark as an example, him making 12million a season is going to make hard to move. Most teams are shedding salary and not wanting to take on a pitcher who was horrible last year. We will have to eat atleast a portion of our contract to get rid of him. , also the one useful part that Roark does is eat innings so might not be horrible to keep around. We shall see how they continue into the offseason, think we see a lot of piggy back pitching games Ray-Stripling, Matz-Kay something like that and then going after a big fish before the deadline. Going to be fun!

Reactions: Hoverhand
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad