Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VII: Things keep happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This shouldnt be bitter at all. Its common sense and in line with what I posted earlier. He has built a team that has enough flexibility and depth that if we were to upgrade a position in our lineup (3B or SP or both) it would subtract from our existing 40 man. This is obvious.

So if the Jays go after a Arenado, the Jays would need to include players like Gurriel or Biggio or Hernandez or Kirk!!! As I stated earlier. But like I stated, the Jays have covered for a situation as such by signing players like Springer, or Semien.

That's a lot of words to say nothing, tbh.

Reactions: GreytWun

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Atkins: “ we're at the point now where if we were to acquire two major pieces, it would require likely subtracting from our roster. “Not for financial reasons, but just because of opportunity reasons,”

Ach. Leave it to this guy to leave me with a bitter aftertaste even after this offseason.
That screams the Cubs/Reds deals.

Reactions: Avilaj07

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I would expect that if any deal were to be possible for Arenado it would need to include one of or both of Biggio and Gurriel. The signings of Springer and Semien have opened up those possibilities. Prospects such as Kirk, Moreno, Groshans and Manoah would be ones that may be included in the deal. You may also see a contract such as Roark and/or Grichuk dumped as well.

We have the pieces to get the deal completed, its whether the price is willing to be paid by the Jays with the chance that Arenado opts out next off season. If anything we may have made our team more enviable for a player like Arenado with bringing in Springer and the core we have which also includes Bichette, Guerrero, Ryu, Pearson and others.

Maybe there is a deal to be made with one of their pitchers coming over in a deal along with Arenado. Someone like Gray. We do have history dealing with the Rockies, so this may help our cause.

Lets see what happens.
You must be joking if you think we’d be adding two great young roster players plus quality prospects for given a great player coming off a bad injury who makes a boat load of money for a long time and like you said has an opt out. I would have no interest in him until I see he’s healthy for sure. They would need to be eating a lot of money

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You must be joking if you think we’d be adding two great young roster players plus quality prospects for given a great player coming off a bad injury who makes a boat load of money for a long time and like you said has an opt out. I would have no interest in him until I see he’s healthy for sure. They would need to be eating a lot of money

They will definitely need to subtract from existing roster for any deal including one for Arenado. That specific deal will depend on how much the Jays take on from existing contract that comes along with him. But Atkins has already mentioned as much, that any further acquisitions of elite pieces would mean subtracting from existing 40 man roster.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Last thread filled up thanks to the high drama of the Steven Matz acquisition.

But the most significant news is that lost in all these Jays transactions is something of the gravest importance:

Nick Swisher was shut out on his first and now only appearance on a Hall of Fame ballot.

So once more, with feeling:

DlNiVkvU4AA2OPV.jpg

Man, it's still pretty early to get blindsided with a Swisher pic

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
They will definitely need to subtract from existing roster for any deal including one for Arenado. That specific deal will depend on how much the Jays take on from existing contract that comes along with him. But Atkins has already mentioned as much, that any further acquisitions of elite pieces would mean subtracting from existing 40 man roster.

There's still dead weight like Fisher on the 40.

Arenado is a bad idea. If he sucks again we have an anchor contract, if he bounces back he just opts out anyway. Lots of risk with minimal reward.

Reactions: smitty10

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
There's still dead weight like Fisher on the 40.

Arenado is a bad idea. If he sucks again we have an anchor contract, if he bounces back he just opts out anyway. Lots of risk with minimal reward.

Really depends on what the Rockies want, and how much they are willing to eat of contract. He is still the best 3B defensively in all of MLB, and we cannot take a shortened season as a benchmark as to where his performance is heading.

Im not saying the Jays have to make this deal. But they definitely should be kicking tires to find out details of what it would take.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Atkins: “ we're at the point now where if we were to acquire two major pieces, it would require likely subtracting from our roster. “Not for financial reasons, but just because of opportunity reasons,”

Ach. Leave it to this guy to leave me with a bitter aftertaste even after this offseason.

You're... surprised that the Jays would have to include players going the other way in order to make a trade?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Sure Bryant would be a good pickup but he’s not nearly a priority. Doesn’t matter how good your offence is if your rotation has Matz, Ray and Roark getting regular starts.

I agree but if Bryant comes it wont be only he. Hendricks is definitely involved and that in itself makes our rotation much more respectable along with 3B

Reactions: Avilaj07

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Would you still be interested in a deal for Bryant and Hendricks if one of Biggio/Gurriel + one of Kirk/Moreno + Roark is the deal?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sure Bryant would be a good pickup but he’s not nearly a priority. Doesn’t matter how good your offence is if your rotation has Matz, Ray and Roark getting regular starts.

Yeah, keeping adding offense but pitching is shitty

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Would you still be interested in a deal for Bryant and Hendricks if one of Biggio/Gurriel + one of Kirk/Moreno + Roark is the deal?
Too much. One of the main pieces and secondary prospects. Biggio, Roark and lower prospects sure. I hesitate on Biggio but there’s no spot for him after this deal. I guess he could be a cheap super utility guy

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It’s easy to subtract from the roster without giving up top talent. IMO there is way too much risk and they would want key pieces so they don’t look awful moving him. It’s a scary thought trading with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad