Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VI: I declare this the summer of George!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I’m sure our Leafs will spoil your wonderful Friday.:(

The Leafs have been spoiling my Fridays for almost 2 decades. That franchise can't stop tripping over it's own feet.

Luckily we have had the Raps, MLS, Jay's to take our mind off things.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
A deal like this would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. We'd get our 3rd baseman and our 2nd starter behind Ryu. After this, I'd look at bringing back Walker depending on his price or go with Odorizzi. I know people keep mentioning Tanaka and Paxton but there's just too many question marks regarding their health.

I totally agree with you on this one. If we can acquire either Gray/Moustakas, or Bryant/Hendricks. The next domino to fall should be Walker. He wants to be here. Worked well with coaching staff. And fits well with clubhouse. If that fails then my next target would be Paxton on a 1yr prove it deal. We do have depth such as Thornton, Stripling and Chatwood to start in a crunch if needed. Im not sold on Odorizzi. Not sure why just not.

Reactions: Sparrowtrini

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
A deal like this would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. We'd get our 3rd baseman and our 2nd starter behind Ryu. After this, I'd look at bringing back Walker depending on his price or go with Odorizzi. I know people keep mentioning Tanaka and Paxton but there's just too many question marks regarding their health.
Tanaka and Paxton offer far more upside if healthy however. Healthy Walker is probably a 4 starter on a contending team at best, healthy Paxton/Tanaka are solid 2-3's if healthy. If you can get either on a 1 year deal with incentives that should be a target.

If the Jays can trade Grichuk + B prospects for Bryant + Hendricks and then sign Tanaka/Paxton to a 1 year deal that would be good.

1. Ryu
2. Hendricks
3. Paxton/Tanaka
4. Pearson
5. Ray

That's a pretty good rotation if Pearson takes the next step and Paxton/Tanaka stay healthy. If the Jays aren't going to get Bauer and don't wanna trade any of their top 5-7 prospects, that's probably one of the better rotations they can come up with.

Reactions: Kurtz

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Two top prospects for Gray and Moustakas? Naw.

Gray alone could possibly get one of the Jays better prospects, but not two of them. But if the Jays also took on the Moustakas contract, the cost would probably be a couple of secondary pieces... probably not a top prospect, and definitely not two.

After seeing what pitchers like Darvish, Snell and Musgrove cost the Padres. I dont think Gray warrants a top prospect. Let me clarify a prospect ranked in top 7-8. If top prospect means one in top 20, then I would say yes.

Reactions: TopChedder

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Team needs:
- 2 starters
- 3B/SS

Some options for starting pitching: Castilio, Hendricks, Gray via trade. Bauer, Walker, Odorizzi via FA.

Some options for 3B/SS. I like Dedi and Semien the most because they can actually play SS and 3B. It's important to have that SS cover if Bichette goes down.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Tanaka and Paxton offer far more upside if healthy however. Healthy Walker is probably a 4 starter on a contending team at best, healthy Paxton/Tanaka are solid 2-3's if healthy. If you can get either on a 1 year deal with incentives that should be a target.

If the Jays can trade Grichuk + B prospects for Bryant + Hendricks and then sign Tanaka/Paxton to a 1 year deal that would be good.

1. Ryu
2. Hendricks
3. Paxton/Tanaka
4. Pearson
5. Ray

That's a pretty good rotation if Pearson takes the next step and Paxton/Tanaka stay healthy. If the Jays aren't going to get Bauer and don't wanna trade any of their top 5-7 prospects, that's probably one of the better rotations they can come up with.

Well said.

I do however wish they would just sign Bauer.

I don't think he is worth what he thinks he is, but he is still a frontline starter.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
After seeing what pitchers like Darvish, Snell and Musgrove cost the Padres. I dont think Gray warrants a top prospect. Let me clarify a prospect ranked in top 7-8. If top prospect means one in top 20, then I would say yes.

Agreed.

If the reds think they are getting top prospects for him they are out to lunch.

San Diego set the market price for that.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Gray and Moustakas would definitely make us better. They are not the best options but definitely make us better. I dont think Martin, Groshans, Kirk, Moreno, Manoah or SWR will be involved. But your prospects after that are fair game and value to acquire these type of players. In the end, if we are to absorb all of Moustakas contract, the return for Reds will be less then we anticipate. If thats the case I make that deal.

I'm with you here. I don't think I'd be happy to see the Jays trade their primary pieces just get. I'd be saving those for when the core has had another season together and you get another chance to evaluate what the unfillable holes are going to be

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
MLB.com has the Blue Jays top 20 prospects as:

1. Pearson
2. Martin
3. Groshans
4. Woods Richardson
5. Manoah
6. Kirk
7. Martinez
8. Moreno
9. Hiraldo
10. Kloffenstein
11. Van Eyk
12. Pardinho
13. Lopez
14. Jimenez
15. Machado
16. Brown
17. De Castro
18. Murphy
19. Castro
20. Smith

I'm not sure what the Cubs/Reds would need in terms of prospect capital coming back, but the Jays have Groshans/Martin near the top of the depth chart in terms of high end skill and coming to the show in the next 2-3 years. So you look at prospects that would be blocked because of guys that are with the Jays and won't be moved Bichette/Vlad plus Groshans/Martin.

You're probably looking at a package that includes one of Jimenez/Machado + Castro/Murphy? I'm also not sure what kind of salary the Jays can send back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

1. Pearson
2. Martin
3. Groshans
4. Woods Richardson
5. Manoah
6. Kirk
7. Martinez
8. Moreno
9. Hiraldo
10. Kloffenstein
11. Van Eyk
12. Pardinho
13. Lopez
14. Jimenez
15. Machado
16. Brown
17. De Castro
18. Murphy
19. Castro
20. Smith

I'm not sure what the Cubs/Reds would need in terms of prospect capital coming back, but the Jays have Groshans/Martin near the top of the depth chart in terms of high end skill and coming to the show in the next 2-3 years. So you look at prospects that would be blocked because of guys that are with the Jays and won't be moved Bichette/Vlad plus Groshans/Martin.

You're probably looking at a package that includes one of Jimenez/Machado + Castro/Murphy? I'm also not sure what kind of salary the Jays can send back.

Wasn't Castro a waiver claim? I find it funny that he is in the Jays' top 20.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

1. Pearson
2. Martin
3. Groshans
4. Woods Richardson
5. Manoah
6. Kirk
7. Martinez
8. Moreno
9. Hiraldo
10. Kloffenstein
11. Van Eyk
12. Pardinho
13. Lopez
14. Jimenez
15. Machado
16. Brown
17. De Castro
18. Murphy
19. Castro
20. Smith

I agree with you prospects but possibly Van Eyk or Pardinho would need to be involved. The salary going back would need to be a 1 yr deal. Possibly Roark.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Two top prospects for Gray and Moustakas? Naw.

Gray alone could possibly get one of the Jays better prospects, but not two of them. But if the Jays also took on the Moustakas contract, the cost would probably be a couple of secondary pieces... probably not a top prospect, and definitely not two.

The guy in the video, I'm not sure who he is, suggests Kirk, SWR, + PTBNL for Gray alone. It just appears to be this guys own musings.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If we are giving up two top prospects, it should be for someone better (and younger) than Sonny Gray.

Reactions: Kurtz

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Don't know if this has been discussed but I wonder if the Astros would consider moving the last year of Greinke for Roark+Grichuk. He's only got 1 year left but gets paid $35 million. Could be a good buy-low option for the Jays and it frees up $ for the Astros while also providing a short-term replacement for the Springer loss if they try and be competitive before Correa hits FA.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Paxton has pitched a similar number of innings to Gray the last 3 years, with similar results, but in the AL East, where Gray shit his pants. Isn't much older. Give me Pax instead of giving up prospects for Gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad