Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt III | Winter meetings are over. Still waiting for stuff to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
And another guy we're tied to.

I'm pretty level-headed, but even I'm getting stir crazy here. Its really starting to feel like players actually are using us to get their paydays elsewhere right now.

Reactions: smitty10

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

So either 18M/3years or 13.5/4. Less bad than I thought, but that's a lot of money for a reliever, regardless how good he is.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I mean, we are "linked" to like 30 players, ha. Even if we have a great off-season 90% of them will sign with someone else...

I would have liked Hendricks, but thats too much money and term for a reliever. Especially a guy that the A's were using like he was a college starter. Lots of miles on that arm the last few years (and the numbers are still insanely good).

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I think the smart play is to wait it out. Most of the teams that had money to play with have spent it. No need to get desperate and throw down a regrettable contract. I don't want guys here that aren't fully all in for this organization. If you just want to use the Jays to pry more dollars out of a team elsewhere you can go pound sand.

I don't think it's the end of the world if you sign some short term deals and keep long term flexibility. We have a lot of good prospects that will make impact in a year or two and I wouldn't want to be locked into some bad contracts because the front office felt pressured and caved to an agents outrageous demands.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
For what its worth the White Sox were a possible suitor for Springer entering the offseason and I would argue they remained one even after adding Eaton, despite what reports might have said. This is only because Eloy is nothing short of a disaster defensively in left field and you don't bring in someone like La Russa unless you plan on winning now. Now, that is two possible suitors for Springer in the Mets and White Sox who have committed relatively significant dollars to other areas and it could complicate any sort of potential signing of Springer.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I would have been fine with something around 3/39 for Hendriks. I wasn't a big fan of the Will Smith deal for Atlanta, but Hendriks is better and didn't cost the compensation pick, so something in that range seems reasonable.

But adding on another year at $15 million? Yikes. I'll pass, thanks.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'm glad we didnt dish out for Hendriks. I would rather add that 13 million to increase the offers to two players annually like LeMatheiu and Realmuto to get deals done. Overpay on position players or starting pitchers. Not bullpen arms.

Reactions: Greek_physique

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t mind our bullpen. Romano, Dolis, Hatch, Merryweather all have the ability to be top relievers. Cole, Kay, Zeuch, Stripling are all decent. Save the money and spend it on another top starter or number 2 guy and please god get us a 3B. Would love Suarez or Ramirez but would probably mean us emptying the prospect cupboard.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t mind our bullpen. Romano, Dolis, Hatch, Merryweather all have the ability to be top relievers. Cole, Kay, Zeuch, Stripling are all decent. Save the money and spend it on another top starter or number 2 guy and please god get us a 3B. Would love Suarez or Ramirez but would probably mean us emptying the prospect cupboard.

I would rather acquire Bryant from the Cubs. It would be an upgrade to what we had last season at a lower cost. Ultimately the goal should be to get better where ever you can. Suarez and Ramirez would cost way to much prospect capital and I dont think the Jays are in position to dish out prospects at that level just yet. Once we know that Vladdy, Bichette and Biggio are true stars that are signed at reasonable contract extensions thats when we dish out prospects to put us over the top. Right now free agents and cheap upgrades is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad