Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt III | Winter meetings are over. Still waiting for stuff to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I'm also extremely skeptical of Semien's year to year defensive results. He went from awful to elite seemingly overnight. Makes you wonder if his true talent level isn't somewhere in between which would obviously limit his overall value. I'd rather go after Didi personally, I think he is a better player and a consistently above average defensive SS.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
DJ LeMahieu engaging other teams in free agency with Yankees slow to meet his price

Apparently LeMahieu is getting impatient with the Yankees and starting to talk to other teams.

Best case: Comes to Toronto
2nd best: Doesn't go back to NY, they are now weaker

LeMahieu at 3B, and Springer at CF, would be a couple of great additions for us. Liam Hendriks coming in to be that stable force in the bullpen, allowing us to value dive for the rest, would be shrewd as well.

I am worried a bit on the lack of rumors about rotation pieces (other than Bauer). It's possible just the entire market is focused on Bauer, and once he signs we'll start hearing more, but we really need that secondary guy to support Ryu and insulate Pearson. Robbie Ray as a #4 ain't bad, and he has the ability to outperform the average 4th man in a rotation.
Then we need one of Thornton, Roark, etc to play their way into the 5th spot?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If we can solidify the infield with getting LeMatheiu that would be huge. Provides flexibility at 1B, 2B and 3B with one signing. Not to mention the upgrade in our batting lineup.

If LeMatheiu can be signed I would switch gears and target Realmuto next instead of Springer. He provides most value to defense and batting lineup rather then Springer. I would rather dish out dollars for him then Springer. Signing him would also allow the Jays to deal from a position of strength with catching to acquire a proven starter to add to rotation. Our OFer's are fine how they are if you acquire LeMatheiu and Realmuto.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The reds are apparently willing to move 3b Suarez in a potential deal but it seems like the ask is going to be uncomfortable. A package around Gray and Suarez would be interesting

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'm sure the Jays interest is real, but I still find it extremely difficult to believe that the Yankees will let their top FA target walk within the division.

Yeah, I never thought of LeMahieu as a particularly realistic target for that exact reason. I have no idea what any of the other top guys are going to do, but I've felt really confident from the start that LeMahieu would be back with the Yankees. They're just playing hardball with each other to try to get their way.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I assume they will see what the free agents do then go to the trade route. But that is a gamble too. Free agents wait too long then left with nothing
On the other hand, jump too soon and you end up with Kendrys Morales instead of waiting it out for Edwin to resign so...

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
On the other hand, jump too soon and you end up with Kendrys Morales instead of waiting it out for Edwin to resign so...
They got pearson out of that. It was also rumored that guerriel signed here because of morales too. But yeah it is extra hard for the jays to make moves unless they overpay.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
They got pearson out of that. It was also rumored that guerriel signed here because of morales too. But yeah it is extra hard for the jays to make moves unless they overpay.

Why the hell should we overpay?

Are they not still playing in the MLB? Are they not getting one of the largest cities and media markets in sports? Are they not getting a top drafting team with a deep farm? Are they not getting a great young core on the field?

People talk like free agents are taking a quality of life or job downgrade. We are a better situation than 90% of the teams in the league.

Why should we limit our ability to spend in other areas because free agents feel we should be honored they came to play here.

Fck these guys if that's how they feel. It's a privilege to play in our great organization.

Reactions: WWB and Brown Dog

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Equating Pearson to the Morales/Edwin situation is an incredible reach.
I mean Pearson was used with the Edwin compensation pick was he not? I guess you could say Morales has nothing to do with it though. But if we go Edwin over Morales then there is no pick for Pearson.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean Pearson was used with the Edwin compensation pick was he not? I guess you could say Morales has nothing to do with it though. But if we go Edwin over Morales then there is no pick for Pearson.

Yes, but its not like the Jays made that decision so they could specifically draft Nate Pearson. If the Jays had drafted Pearson at 22 and Warmoth at 28 no one would care.

I don't even really want to entertain it as general good asset management because of how awful Morales was.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yes, but its not like the Jays made that decision so they could specifically draft Nate Pearson.

I don't even really want to entertain it as general good asset management because of how awful Morales was.
Yeah I mean I agree. Morales was a terrible contract and actual hindsight you let Edwin walk....and don't sign Morales and still have the pick for Pearson.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah I mean I agree. Morales was a terrible contract and actual hindsight you let Edwin walk....and don't sign Morales and still have the pick for Pearson.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with letting Edwin walk and taking the comp pick. The fact it ended up being Pearson is a bonus, but the specific prospect doesn't matter much: getting the 28th pick to NOT give $80 million to a DH while you rebuild is perfectly fine.

Signing Morales was just dumb, though. I guess the Gurriel rumours add a bit of a caveat there, but the contract itself was awful.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yes, but its not like the Jays made that decision so they could specifically draft Nate Pearson. If the Jays had drafted Pearson at 22 and Warmoth at 28 no one would care.

Or they could have had just the one pick and went with the "safer" player and drafted Warmoth and not the reliever with screws in his elbow. Pearson wasnt a slam dunk first rounder by everyone. By having that 2nd pick in the first round the Jays took a risk with Pearson.

Jays got Pearson directly with the asset they received by not signing Edwin. Signing Morales in a vacuum wasnt a good move but signing Morales knowing you would get a compensation pick for Edwin is exactly what asset management is about. Using that pick on Pearson is a direct product of not signing Edwin, no other way about it. Thats how compensation system works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->