Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt III | Winter meetings are over. Still waiting for stuff to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think the Reds make the most sense since they're apparently dead set on cutting payroll.

One of Moustakas or Suarez
One of Gray or Castillo

Moustakas and Gray would be the cheapest to acquire, Suarez and Castillo would be super expensive, and the other combinations would fall somewhere in between.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I was never a fan of trading Gurriel for Lindor. Hopefully this gets the ball rolling on the UFA market. Still think we get JBJ and Odorizzi
In baseball it’s just FA not ufa. We will add for sure. Reading more on the Mets After the deal I’m not sure if they will be in on springer. They can afford to but they don’t want to pass the luxury tax and want to stay below which this signing would be hard to fit under. Nevermind what it does to them going forward.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think the Reds make the most sense since they're apparently dead set on cutting payroll.

One of Gray or Castillo

Moustakas and Gray would be the cheapest to acquire, Suarez and Castillo would be super expensive, and the other combinations would fall somewhere in between.
I have a feeling we’ll be after Gray.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Disappointing we couldnt get Lindor and Carrasco given how weak of a trade package the Indians received. That's a bad trade.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
so Bauer was right about Cole and shit, and how they cheated, and then cheated the year of his UDFA to become elite. Guy's the goat. Love him. Doubt the league will crack down unless they wanna see a large spike amongst a lot of pitchers. Might be good for the game with high scores tho.

Also shows you how much "integrity" is in all your fav sports that 100% of the people cheat. I personally love it cause I want the best of the best and I truly don't care how you achieve that but whatever.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario

One of Gray or Castillo

I don't know if this makes the team better than Lindor and Carrasco or is more justifiable from an acquisition perspective.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

One of Gray or Castillo

Holy shit Suarez and Castillo would be great. But say goodbye to Martin and Groshans if you’re getting those 2 guys. I’d prefer Gray and Moustakas so we keep our blue chips.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't know if this makes the team better than Lindor and Carrasco or is more justifiable from an acquisition perspective.

They would be longer term moves: the pitchers both have three years of relatively cheap control and Suarez has five. Moustakas would be more like a salary dump for the Reds, though as a league average 3B he would improve the Jays as well.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Losing free agents due to your team, due money, due to the division, due to geography is one thing but due to competition with an inferior teammate/friend?

Blame ownership and the front office all you want but they arent the only reason for the lack of a deal. It takes 2 to tango and some teams and players refuse your offers for reasons outside of your control.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
They would be longer term moves: the pitchers both have three years of relatively cheap control and Suarez has five. Moustakas would be more like a salary dump for the Reds, though as a league average 3B he would improve the Jays as well.

It's probably the most realistic target in terms of pitching + infielder now. But if this is the route the Jays wanted to go, I am not sure it is an improvement to Cleveland's tandem. Who knows what the acquisition cost is also.
Lindor is a target that you'd hope to bring back, so I see that as a long-term move.
Carrasco's contract is also for a few years and cheap for his level of performance. It's not 4+ years or anything but given his age, you probably don't want that anyway.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Losing free agents due to your team, due money, due to the division, due to geography is one thing but due to competition with an inferior teammate/friend?

Blame ownership and the front office all you want but they arent the only reason for the lack of a deal. It takes 2 to tango and some teams and players refuse your offers for reasons outside of your control.

That seems hard to believe, especially considering... you know... Yamaguchi has zero chance at a getting a rotation spot.

Reactions: Kurtz and smitty10

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Man if he was afraid to compete with yamaguchi for a roster spot I’m glad he stayed in Japan. If you aren’t sure you’re better than him you certainly don’t deserve the term and dollars you were looking for

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Please I don't ever wanna see Yamaguchi throw another pitch for us ... like ever. The guy was a sure bet to give up a homerun every time he stepped on the rubber

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
That seems hard to believe, especially considering... you know... Yamaguchi has zero chance at a getting a rotation spot.
I would feel more confident betting that Tomo Ohka will come out of retirement to pitch in the rotation than I would Yamaguchi.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I would feel more confident betting that Tomo Ohka will come out of retirement to pitch in the rotation than I would Yamaguchi.
No kidding. If he’s in our rotation, this team will take a major step back.

right now we have Ryu-?-?-Pearson-Ray. I hope Pearson turns into a stud this year but that’s just “hope”. We need 2 established guys who can slot into our number 2 and 3.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
No kidding. If he’s in our rotation, this team will take a major step back.

right now we have Ryu-?-?-Pearson-Ray. I hope Pearson turns into a stud this year but that’s just “hope”. We need 2 established guys who can slot into our number 2 and 3.
Assuming that the Blue Jays add zero starting pitching this offseason (which I would put the odds at just about zero), the rotation would likely be Ryu-Pearson-Ray-Roark with one of Hatch, Merryweather, Kay, etc. being in the battle for the 5th spot.

Reactions: howlman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad