Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 15th: How's that dream job now, Farrell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Don't be ridiculous. There was a lot of balls that got over Devo's head, and a lot he wasn't able to catch up to. 1990 I started watching the Jays very close, I didn't even like Baseball until that point. Devo was not some super human, a lot of balls went by him.

Yes I was hyperbolizing (apparently that's not a word?), but I will disagree with your general premise; there are very few ever who were better at getting balls over their head. One thing I will say that played to his advantage though was that he was able to play slightly deeper since he had a ridiculously agile middle infield that was able to get some of the popups into shallow CF.

The best part of the play today is that it takes him about ten strides to get from medium-deep CF to the wall.

Is it just me or did Candy Maldonando look like Yunel Escobar?

Yes. Its actually scary how close they are.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Im not comparing him to Rasmus, im stating in general White had a lot of balls go over his head.

What's the point of this statement? Are you trying to get someone to argue that Devo was perfect or something? Of course balls went over his head and he made errors too! However, he was a far superior CF than the Jays have probably ever had. He was considered one of the best then and I would agree. He would get to balls (and make errors on) that he had no business being near. If you have some point to all this, why don't you get to it.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
The Red Sox are talking with free agent Adam LaRoche, two sources tell Jen Royle of SB Nation Boston (via Twitter). LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal and a third source tells Royle that he's still not willing to compromise on contract length.

LaRoche would be the alternative to signing Mike Napoli, but major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that Boston would prefer to complete their deal with the backstop. The Red Sox haven't given any official word on why the deal with Napoli hasn't been completed, but sources say that an issue with one of Napoli's hips has given the club pause. There's an agreement in place for a three-year, $39MM deal, but the Red Sox could simply walk from it since it has not been finalized.

If the Red Sox did sign LaRoche, Rosenthal writes that Napoli would go back into the market and likely accept a shorter, cheaper deal, possibly from the Rangers

DatsyukianDeke*

What's the point of this statement? Are you trying to get someone to argue that Devo was perfect or something? Of course balls went over his head and he made errors too! However, he was a far superior CF than the Jays have probably ever had. He was considered one of the best then and I would agree. He would get to balls (and make errors on) that he had no business being near. If you have some point to all this, why don't you get to it.

Whats the point of this post ? Why don't you read what I quoted in the first place maybe you might understand.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
The Red Sox are talking with free agent Adam LaRoche, two sources tell Jen Royle of SB Nation Boston (via Twitter). LaRoche is seeking a three-year deal and a third source tells Royle that he's still not willing to compromise on contract length.

LaRoche would be the alternative to signing Mike Napoli, but major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that Boston would prefer to complete their deal with the backstop. The Red Sox haven't given any official word on why the deal with Napoli hasn't been completed, but sources say that an issue with one of Napoli's hips has given the club pause. There's an agreement in place for a three-year, $39MM deal, but the Red Sox could simply walk from it since it has not been finalized.

If the Red Sox did sign LaRoche, Rosenthal writes that Napoli would go back into the market and likely accept a shorter, cheaper deal, possibly from the Rangers
To bad we couldn't swoop in and offer a deal with options attached. Would be a nice boost to the DH spot.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Haha love it, Alomar did it after Game 3 of course and then you had this after they won (0:42-ish)

Also appreciate what is like the worst music choice for a sporting highlight package at the end. I love those videos...without exaggeration I've probably watched the '92 and '93 ones 100 times each

No spoiler tags? I kid, I kid.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Whats the point of this post ? Why don't you read what I quoted in the first place maybe you might understand.

I did. That's why I asked. Apparently there is no point to what you are saying except that he wasnt perfect. Thanks for the newsflash. He still was an exceptional player and superior fielder who displayed phenomenal range.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
:laugh: Guess I wasn't the only one.

and this "OMG Canada's different!" piece that's part of the WS broadcast is lame.

"It's not a dangerous weapon, but it is offensive" :laugh:

The kids throwing pucks instead of baseballs was so so bad. The Queen calling down to the locker room bit was just ignorant, but hey it goes with the times.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
I noticed in yesterdays game how the jays had 6 or 7 guys on their bench. Was that common throughout the year and by other teams to have such a short pen? Is that because pitchers went deeper back then?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Man, we got jobbed so hard on that play.

EDIT: "You can't argue with the decision of the umpire, Bob Davidison. He had a perfect view of it."

If that's true, then why did he **** it up?. You could clearly see Gruber got him. The fingers of his glove flared back as he dragged them over Sanders' shoe.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
CBS baseball theme = best theme

I noticed in yesterdays game how the jays had 6 or 7 guys on their bench. Was that common throughout the year and by other teams to have such a short pen? Is that because pitchers went deeper back then?

Yes, Atlanta's starters went a combined 45 innings in the series or something

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad