Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 14th: Who is bigger, Dickey or Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If Rajai got on base even 10% more he would be a hugely valuable commodity. Too valuable to be a fourth outfielder.

If he could get on base 10% more (or even better, replicate his 2009 numbers) he would make Rasmus completely expendable, would open the option of putting Melky into the five whole to protect JB/EE.

The only thing to like about Rasmus is what people 'hope' he can become. Rajai had a better OPS+ and, I think, with 500 ABs he could come close to his '09/'10 numbers.

Colby Rasmus shouldn't start a single game vs a lefty. I haven't looked that hard, but I would be very surprised if there was a starting outfielder in Major League Baseball with a worse OPS+ against LH starters. Bad doesn't begin to describe how pathetic he was in those roughly 40 games/200 ABs vs LH starters.

If Rasmus wasn't drafted in the first round, he wouldn't have spent the whole year in the Majors. He's lived off one good season and his pedigree for two full seasons now. I'll be choked if the Jays let him live off his pedigree in 2013. There are just too many good options for the Jays to let Rasmus be dead weight again in 2013.

I really do think people under-rate what a stolen base can do for a game. From first to second, you are just a single away from a run with Rajai at that base under most circumstances.

It makes his slugging percentage seem almost under-rated, or perhaps even under-stated!

Should stolen bases not be factored into a slugging percentage?

In that case he would be a clear cut starter over Rasmus especially with similar fielding and batting statistics...

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
So I guess we will be like the Phillies from now on in that our farm system will be used to constantly reload major league holes because the talent is at the low levels and takes to long to reach eventually depleting both the major and minor leagues after a 5 year span.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
So I guess we will be like the Phillies from now on in that our farm system will be used to constantly reload major league holes because the talent is at the low levels and takes to long to reach eventually depleting both the major and minor leagues after a 5 year span.

If we can have five years like the Phillies just had, I'll take five bad years after that.

Just don't offer me more of the 70-85 crap we've had to live with for almost 20 years!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If stolen bases counted towards total bases, I think a person would also have to subtract caught stealing from total bases in some fashion.

But more to your point, OPS (OPS+ is better) is a hitting stat, not a base running stat.

Rajai would still have a ridiculously higher OPS and SLG percentage. Very fast man and if it were not for that hand injury last season I think he wouldve had even more. There was no stopping him.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

If I had asked you when AA was hired that in 3 years time he would have a WS contender, a better farm system then what he started with and really no albatross contracts what would you have said?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
A-cIW4YCQAEBPHJ.jpg

HAHA LOOK AT BUERHLE

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
If I had asked you when AA was hired that in 3 years time he would have a WS contender, a better farm system then what he started with and really no albatross contracts what would you have said?

Certainly a truly impressive amount of work AA has done. That Wells trade is easily one of his most underrated moves because it opened up so much money and flexibility that if we still had him, we wouldn't have the payroll to get Reyes/Johnson/Buehrle etc...

I remember when everybody was crapping on AA like over a month ago/before that blockbuster even though he had done an excellent job with the team at that point... and well, it's a hell a lot better now.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I know it's not a certainty, but it's good to know they're talking about it. I remember 1 or 2 years back during the pre-season panel for season ticket holders, they were talking about the possibility of real grass. It all depends on if they can find the Argos a new home which probably won't happen for another few years.

By the way, does anyone know where I can find the RA Dickey conference call in its entirety? I've been away from my computer all day, did a little search, but can only find bits and pieces rather than the whole thing. Cheers.

Grass would be amazing, possibly just as amazing as all the players we just got. Turf is just that much of a pet peeve for me, it makes us so bush league.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Grass would be amazing, possibly just as amazing as all the players we just got. Turf is just that much of a pet peeve for me, it makes us so bush league.

It is worse than bush league. Lots of NAIA colleges play on a better surface. Real grass would help make Rogers Centre more of a 'ball park'. I had the chance to watch JV pitch against the Yankees this summer at Comerica, and what an incredible experience. Obvious Rogers Centre will never be a 'ball park' in the fashion that I would like, but grass would just help so much.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It is worse than bush league. Lots of NAIA colleges play on a better surface. Real grass would help make Rogers Centre more of a 'ball park'. I had the chance to watch JV pitch against the Yankees this summer at Comerica, and what an incredible experience. Obvious Rogers Centre will never be a 'ball park' in the fashion that I would like, but grass would just help so much.

What would it impact other than the fielding percentage of players?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Rajai would still have a ridiculously higher OPS and SLG percentage. Very fast man and if it were not for that hand injury last season I think he wouldve had even more. There was no stopping him.

but stealing bases and hitting ability are two entirely different skill sets, mixing their stats would just be confusing.

It's save some wear & tear on the defenders (knees especially) too.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Possible injuries. Turf can put some wear and tear on the body over a full season and for guys like Reyes who have had hamstring and groin injuries in the past it'd be smart to get grass into the RC.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
but stealing bases and hitting ability are two entirely different skill sets, mixing their stats would just be confusing.

Why though?

Why limit yourself?

If you wanted to know what the return on a house over ten years was why couldn't you look into what the return was from owners who did renovations versus owners who did no maintenance. Do you not think that's significant to know?

Sure some owners might botch their bathroom projects, but I think the majority who go above and beyond get some benefit from their investment into their home (baserunning)

I really do believe Beane has incorporated base running into his framework for WAR. OBP is great but speed along basepaths is an element that kills in baseball.

It's save some wear & tear on the defenders (knees especially) too.

Cool. Just wondering.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I hear Robinson Cano is a free agent next off-season:sarcasm:

I would die lmao

I wanted the Jays to get Michael Young and use him at 2B, because I would never leave Rogers Center because both Reyes and Young would be on the Blue Jays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad