Speculation: Off Season Jeff Skinner sweepstakes

Who does Skinner sign with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He's staying in Buffalo. According to reports he will only play in Toronto or Buffalo. Toronto can't afford him. This means he'll likely stay in Buffalo.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I hope NYI makes a big play for him. Makes sense on both sides.

NYI needs a goal scorer and has the cap space to add a big piece.
Skinner wants to stay relatively close to Toronto (NYC/Long Island is a short flight away) and probably wants to play on a playoff/Cup contending team with great coaching and management.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
What is the knock on Skinner. He puts the puck in the net, and every time I have seen him he plays hard. Locker room problem? If possible I think his game is under rated.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
You should tweet this to Skinners agent. I'm sure he'd love Sabres fans chirping him, since he's the one I quoted.

They may be close on the terms of the deal, but there's no imminent time deadline. This could drag out a while. I expect JBot's top priority at the moment is getting a coach in place.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Skinner wants to stay relatively close to Toronto (NYC/Long Island is a short flight away)

The time it takes to drive from Buffalo to Toronto is equivalent to the time it takes to get to the airport and clear security, let alone flight time. Perhaps you don't realize how closer Toronto and Buffalo are.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What is the knock on Skinner. He puts the puck in the net, and every time I have seen him he plays hard. Locker room problem? If possible I think his game is under rated.

If he's not scoring, he's not contributing to the team, and given his defensive shortcomings, he's often a liability more than anything in those situations.

Which is fine, assuming he's on one of his ridiculous goal-scoring heaters. But when he goes cold, he's ice-cold and just has zero use in those games.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The time it takes to drive from Buffalo to Toronto is equivalent to the time it takes to get to the airport and clear security, let alone flight time. Perhaps you don't realize how closer Toronto and Buffalo are.
No shit Buffalo is closer. I think anyone with some brain competency knows that.

But NYI still provides a destination that's still relatively close to Toronto.

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
What if he says to Dubas on July 1st that he would except $5 mil per year to play in TO. Does he make room for him?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He didn't have a say in what Buffalo had to give Carolina to get him did he?

Well, he "kinda" did. Via his NMC, he limited the destination to basically 1 team (Tor didn't have a need for him). By limiting it to 1 buyer, he influenced the return.

As a Canes fan, I was hoping for a 1st (like a deadline return). Would have been happen with either the STL or SJ 1st alone.

Given the Canes weren't going to re-sign him if he wasn't traded, the way it worked out in the end, Buffalo's 2nd ended up being pick #36 and STL/SJ's 1st is probably going to be late 1st round. The Buffalo 2020 3rd probably is fair in making up that difference between those 2.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
He didn't have a say in what Buffalo had to give Carolina to get him did he?
Carolina knew he wasn't going to re-sign there and he only wanted to be traded to Buffalo, they had little to no leverage in the deal. When you have no leverage the deal is usually underwhelming. Props to Botterill for buying a player at a discount when the seller had zero leverage in negotations. So in a way yes Jeff Skinner did have a say in what Carolina could get in return for him.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
Hmmm interesting. Agrees to make less than Marleau after a 40 goal season? Is goal scoring really the problem in Toronto or something else I wonder?

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
Carolina knew he wasn't going to re-sign there and he only wanted to be traded to Buffalo, they had little to no leverage in the deal. When you have no leverage the deal is usually underwhelming. Props to Botterill for buying a player at a discount when the seller had zero leverage in negotations. So in a way yes Jeff Skinner did have a say in what Carolina could get in return for him.

Which a Gm that sucks would have overpaid because they didn't realize that they had leverage or an idea that the said player is a need or a fit there. Carolina had another year on the contract and didn't have to trade him at all yet. Carolina didn't just come and say give me whatever you want for this guy. Jason made a good deal for his team.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Which a Gm that sucks would have overpaid because they didn't realize that they had leverage or an idea that the said player is a need or a fit there. Carolina had another year on the contract and didn't have to trade him at all yet. Carolina didn't just come and say give me whatever you want for this guy. Jason made a good deal for his team.
The reality is a little of column a and a lot of column b. Botterill gave up relatively little for a 1st line player. Kudos to him. Carolina didnt have to move him at that particular time, but the clock was ticking. They got the best offer they could for a player that gave them one possible team he'd go to. Botterill didn't completely flub a situation where he was bidding against himself. I'm personally not all that impressed and I dont think I'm in the minority.

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
The fact that initially Carolina fans (and Buffalo fans) thought Buffalo fleeced Carolina in the trade, leads me to believe that it wasn't quite out there prior to the trade, nor a particularly good negotiating tactic to advise that your under contract player would ONLY waive their ntc to come to Buffalo at a time where they didn't even need to trade him. Maybe Jason could have ruled out some teams but seems to me it was more speculation than anything.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He's bad at defense (though he was better than I expected this season) and doesn't create for others.

But he drives play, scores goals, and draws a ton of penalties. People tend to ignore 2 of these.

Reactions: Kublakhan

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The Avalanche have alot of cap and he is friendly with Landeskog. Also need a guy who can shoot. That said I think Buffalo has the edge here.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres are playing hardball, they learned their lesson. I'm expecting a six-year deal at $8.25 M or so. NMC clause could be sticky issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad