Speculation: Off Season Jeff Skinner sweepstakes

Who does Skinner sign with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who needs goals when you can score moral victories? It's not like it's Skinner's fault his teams haven't made the playoffs. Hockey is a team sport, after all.

Its not like Skinner's teams haven't been projected to be competitive for a playoff spot and failed. Part of that fail has been Skinner. As someone that likes Carolina quite a bit, I was always disappointed in what Skinner brought to the table besides goals. I find the same sort of thing to be going on in Buffalo. Skinner was a contributor to their big start and a shot at the playoffs and his more recent play a contributor to them returning to earth.

Reactions: Crazydounut

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Jeff Skinner. Zero NHL playoff games. I would just pass if I were Buffalo. Find some good character players
Whoa. While the Sabres certainly need more character in the room, Skinner has already demonstrated that he has it in absolute spades.

On the ice, the dude is f***ing fearless, especially for a smaller stature forward. He scores most of his goals by using his ridiculous edgework and going into high traffic areas around the net.

Off the ice, he's been every bit as vocal and demonstrative as our actual captain. He's blunt, honest, takes responsibility and holds guys accountable. He's also been a huge cheerleader for the youth in this group - even when they're struggling, he picks his guys up and pushes them to fight through it.

Skinny is going to age like a fine wine. Not only do we NEED to keep him (and I'm sure we will), but we need more guys like him - and we need for his approach to permeate throughout the team culture and the rest of the group.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Other than the fact that every NHL player (and their agents) want to get paid, what makes you think he's just going for the money. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a peep out of his camp, or did I miss a tweet or story on this?

There was a rumour earlier this year that Skinner was looking for 9 milion+ which would've been eyebrow raising to say the least, I don't recall how valid the source was, and he's come back down to earth from that point in the year, so who knows whats going on now. But I assume that's what was being referenced.

Plus career years in contract years are always scrutinized, rightly or wrongly.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He kind of has Buffalo "by the balls". If they let him walk, man what a disaster. They finally have a first line in the NHL and if he walks it's not just depth again it's back to needing more impact pieces and hoping draft picks work out.

He knows this and will get paid. The thing is, he floats at the worst times. He's not a player I'd pay 8-9M AAV for.

Interesting to see how they handle it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
At deadline it was said they weren’t all that far apart.

I feel he will get signed by buffalo given he waived his NMC for buffalo.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He kind of has Buffalo "by the balls". If they let him walk, man what a disaster. They finally have a first line in the NHL and if he walks it's not just depth again it's back to needing more impact pieces and hoping draft picks work out.

He knows this and will get paid. The thing is, he floats at the worst times. He's not a player I'd pay 8-9M AAV for.

Interesting to see how they handle it.

I wouldn't say "disaster". They basically would have then given up a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick for 1 year of him. I'm sure they'd prefer to keep him (and I think they will), but if he moves on, they didn't give up much for him in the first place.

I agree though, they need to keep him or find someone to replace him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Whoa. While the Sabres certainly need more character in the room, Skinner has already demonstrated that he has it in absolute spades.

On the ice, the dude is ****ing fearless, especially for a smaller stature forward. He scores most of his goals by using his ridiculous edgework and going into high traffic areas around the net.

Off the ice, he's been every bit as vocal and demonstrative as our actual captain. He's blunt, honest, takes responsibility and holds guys accountable. He's also been a huge cheerleader for the youth in this group - even when they're struggling, he picks his guys up and pushes them to fight through it.

Skinny is going to age like a fine wine. Not only do we NEED to keep him (and I'm sure we will), but we need more guys like him - and we need for his approach to permeate throughout the team culture and the rest of the group.

Skinny? Ok. Defines your point of view.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Skinner's agent has said Buffalo and him are working on a deal and their close. So what sweepstakes is this again?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I wouldn't say "disaster". They basically would have then given up a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick for 1 year of him. I'm sure they'd prefer to keep him (and I think they will), but if he moves on, they didn't give up much for him in the first place.

I agree though, they need to keep him or find someone to replace him.

Disaster in that the Sabres have been a poor team for a while now and finally took a step this year by adding him. Right now their path to the playoffs is their depth progressing and Mittlestat, Nylander, Rienhart, etc all taking the next step and giving them a legit 2nd line that is a threat. I'd say the probability of all of them doing that right now as low given their track record so far.

Now take out Skinner and not only do they need all of that to happen, but they need to add a first line W without subtracting any of that AND improve their defense.

So your choice is to set back your rebuild another few years or overpay him.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Sounds like he really wanted to be in the Toronto are when he got traded. I'm sure the leafs would love to have him but there is very little chance they would spend the money to acquire him.
Buffalo it is.... for way too much money.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Skinner's agent has said Buffalo and him are working on a deal and their close. So what sweepstakes is this again?

Close, eh? Almost 3 weeks since your post and...... crickets.

I think he will sign with Buffalo though.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I see Benning going hard after him.

He promised we'd go after no marquee free agents (by which I am positive he meant Panarin and Eriksson) but I can see him upping his offer by a million with each no until Skinner will get league max for 7 years.

I'd love to pick up Skinner for the Canucks. I don't think I'll want him at the deal he and Benning put together though.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Many people think Skinner is pushing hard for that 8th year and that Botts is not keen on giving it up, I still believer Skinner wants to be a Sabre for several reasons and the deal will get done..

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Jeff Skinner. Zero NHL playoff games. I would just pass if I were Buffalo. Find some good character players

Uh-oh. Looks like the Sabres have another "locker room cancer" on their hands. Please, nobody tell the Pegulas.

His home's in Toronto, and the Leafs + Sabres were his only two teams he'd waive to.

Leafs dont have the room for him

That's the situation in a nutshell.

If Botts can't get this sure-thing signing done, he will have proven his utter ineptitude. The Sabres are in no position to lose a proven 30-goal winger who by all indications wants to stay.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Close, eh? Almost 3 weeks since your post and...... crickets.

I think he will sign with Buffalo though.
You should tweet this to Skinners agent. I'm sure he'd love Sabres fans chirping him, since he's the one I quoted.

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
I feel he'll stay in Buffalo he publicly announced his pleasure with it's proximity to the GTA shortly after last years trade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know he was happy to go to Buffalo, but that was before the season,he hasn't played a playoff game in his NHL career and Buffalo finished bottom 5 again with no real signs of progress outside of a fluke 10 game win streak without that they challenge Ottawa for last overall.

Does he really want to stay in that situation? that's a tough call.

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
The only thing this is about is money and term. He wants to be here. Now that he got a 40 goal season under his belt we can try and speculate what that is going to cost. If the Sabres are wary of signing him to a 9.5 -10 x's 8 with an elite passer dishing him pucks how are other teams going to offer him more without an Eichel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad