Speculation: Off Season Jeff Skinner sweepstakes

Who does Skinner sign with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Jeff Skinner has had a up and down season for Buffalo. He started the season hot but has recently been cold for Buffalo. And now they have been eliminated from playoff contention. His play majority of the time is very good, supported by shooting maps and analytics. But at times he can disappear from games. Not to mention at times his lack of defense can become a liability. But no one can doubt his scoring ability.

The New York teams and Florida seem like obvious choices for him. I could see him go west to a team like Vancouver or Arizona and help lead them to a rebuild. OR he could return to Buffalo and help them get to the playoffs

Who do you believe he signs with this off season?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
From the 2018 draft weekend reports, it looks like Lou kicked the tires on Skinner.
Just guessing, but after reading he used his NTC to block trades , I thought the isles were likely one of the teams he nixed a trade to.

A few days ago,Staple bought his name up in a Q & A session, indicating Lou is still interested.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I don't see him staying in Buffalo.The team is years away from being competitive.He is in his prime and probably wants to win a cup.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't see him staying in Buffalo.The team is years away from being competitive.He is in his prime and probably wants to win a cup.

He waived his NMC to go to to Buffalo right after they became the first team ever to finish 31st. If that were a major criteria for him, he never would've been a Sabre. It seems like being close to home is important to him, and Buffalo is still very much that. Most recent reports indicate the Sabres and Skinner are still working on a deal and are no more than 1M apart on AAV. Although I did think a contract would get done/announced sooner than this, I still think he stays in Buffalo.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Unless he prices himself out, and I don't see that, I'll be surprised if he doesn't re-sign in Buffalo. He waived his NMC to go there and frankly, the Sabres aren't as far away as some like to think.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
From my understanding he wants to get paid. The knock on Skinner has always been he disappears and can be a liability. No different than Kessel (although high rated IMO). Regardless of which team goes after him they better have the core in place because he is supporting cast not an essential piece.

Vancouver would be great because they have their 1C (Elias) and 2C (Bo) locked in. Just don’t know they can afford 8-9 on a one dimensional winger

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
From my understanding he wants to get paid. The knock on Skinner has always been he disappears and can be a liability. No different than Kessel (although high rated IMO). Regardless of which team goes after him they better have the core in place because he is supporting cast not an essential piece.

Vancouver would be great because they have their 1C (Elias) and 2C (Bo) locked in. Just don’t know they can afford 8-9 on a one dimensional winger

Other than the fact that every NHL player (and their agents) want to get paid, what makes you think he's just going for the money. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a peep out of his camp, or did I miss a tweet or story on this?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jeff Skinner. Zero NHL playoff games. I would just pass if I were Buffalo. Find some good character players

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Other than the fact that every NHL player (and their agents) want to get paid, what makes you think he's just going for the money. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a peep out of his camp, or did I miss a tweet or story on this?

I think this is going to play out the way most Erik Cole negotiations played out in Carolina: Skinner will find the best deal possible. If Buffalo can get close, Skinner will sign in Buffalo. If it's too big of a difference (like Cole and MTL) then Skinner will go elsewhere.

I think Skinner stays in BUF. It's where he wanted to be traded and he's played well there.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
It may be one of those situations where Buffalo doesn't offer him the amount that he would want but I think that his value would be at it's highest in Buffalo. I think he'd look pretty good beside Barkov if he hit UFA though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He had a list of two teams he would go to. Buffalo and Toronto. So unless somethings changed I’d be surprised if that was different now.

Character issues? Skinner never had those unless him being immature his first few years counts. That’s lame to throw his way.

He brings 30 goals while working his butt off and being fun to watch. Regardless of when those 30 goals come at the end of the year they were needed. I think he stays, and I would never punish him to see him return here. Maybe Detroit or something not too geographically far from where he wants to be.

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
He had a list of two teams he would go to. Buffalo and Toronto. So unless somethings changed I’d be surprised if that was different now.

Character issues? Skinner never had those unless him being immature his first few years counts. That’s lame to throw his way.

He brings 30 goals while working his butt off and being fun to watch. Regardless of when those 30 goals come at the end of the year they were needed. I think he stays, and I would never punish him to see him return here. Maybe Detroit or something not too geographically far from where he wants to be.

My b. Thought u were talking abt the op

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
His home's in Toronto, and the Leafs + Sabres were his only two teams he'd waive to.

Leafs dont have the room for him

Reactions: SabresSharks

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Pretty sure Buffalo has a good sense that they'll get a deal with Skinner done or else they would've moved him.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Jeff Skinner has had a up and down season for Buffalo. He started the season hot but has recently been cold for Buffalo. And now they have been eliminated from playoff contention. His play majority of the time is very good, supported by shooting maps and analytics. But at times he can disappear from games. Not to mention at times his lack of defense can become a liability. But no one can doubt his scoring ability.

The New York teams and Florida seem like obvious choices for him. I could see him go west to a team like Vancouver or Arizona and help lead them to a rebuild. OR he could return to Buffalo and help them get to the playoffs

Who do you believe he signs with this off season?

He’s never played a single playoff game (leads the league in most regular season games played with no playoffs, I believe). I don’t see him signing somewhere to “lead them to a rebuild.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->