Injury Report: Off-season Injury Thread: Kris Letang News

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Didn't see this anywhere and figured it belonged in our new injury thread.

General manager Jim Rutherford said later Monday that forward Pascal Dupuis was determined to be “clot-free,†although Rutherford cautioned “there are other things that, from a medical point of view, have to be looked at.â€

Rutherford wouldn't disclose what those are — “I'm not a doctor, so I'll probably screw it up,†Rutherford joked — and cautioned that Dupuis wasn't fully cleared yet.

“His condition isn't as simple as whether he has a clot or not,†Rutherford said.

Finding proper medication is the current priority.

Rutherford said the team's medical staff is “still trying to figure out what medication works for (Dupuis) to give him a chance to continue playing.â€

More tests are in store for Dupuis, whom the Penguins are optimistic can return and transition into a third-line role.
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/8480419-74/rutherford-letang-dupuis#axzz3boyTifga

I'm not sure what else has to be looked at, but if I were him I'd LTIRetire. His life and family are more important than playing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
maybe they are going through all of this just to cross all Ts and dot all Is so that the "LTIRetirement" passes all the tests from the league.

Maybe. I'm definitely not an expert in anything medically related, but the situation sounds strange to me. Timonen, to my knowledge, was able to return this year as soon as he was clot free. If Dupuis' condition is more complicated, it's a bit concerning.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Sad that dupuis basically has the team by the balls, where if hes medically cleared, suddenly their cap space shrinks.

Anybody know if the league would allow him to retire to take his cap off the books while the organization hires him in some capacity to pay him what he was owed?

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I would imagine there's something physiological that makes him prone to developing more clots if they just take him off his meds. So he may be "clot-free" at the moment but he has a condition that requires him to take certain medication to remain so, and that medication may be the reason his future as a hockey player is in doubt. That's what it sounds like to me.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
My brother had clots and no they could find nothing physiological for his condition. He had to be on blood thinners 6 months, and if the clots were to return, he would have to be on them for the rest of his life.

Vokoun's clots were related to scar tissue from an old burn injury narrowing certain blood vessels.
I wonder if Duper's may also be related to the knee injury and scarring from damage/surgery....just guessing but to my knowledge this condition occurred only after the injury.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
My brother had clots and no they could find nothing physiological for his condition. He had to be on blood thinners 6 months, and if the clots were to return, he would have to be on them for the rest of his life.

Greiss' clots were related to scar tissue from an old burn injury narrowing certain blood vessels.
I wonder if Duper's may also be related to the knee injury and scarring from damage/surgery....just guessing but to my knowledge this condition occurred only after the injury.

Vokoun?

An earlier post hoping that this was a scheme to get PD to LTIR status is wishful thinking, I'm afraid. I suspect he'll be back. Actually, he was playing well (at least better than most expected) last year coming off of ACL surgery, and I'd rather see last year's PD back than Kunitz, who will only get worse this year (if that's possible).

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Did you really think PD was playing that well? I recall he was shot out of a cannon first couple games (4 pts first game maybe?) but fell off dramatically...however that could have been the onset of PE...

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Dupuis--despite where he's been used and the numbers he's put up--is not a top six winger, nor should he be on this team. He's also 36, and will have not played a second of real hockey for nearly a calendar year by the time next season rolls around. He is not, nor should it even be in the realm of possibility, that he's a solution to any spot on this roster.

I hope he stays on LTIR, for his health and the team's benefit. It's the best for both parties, bar none.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Did you really think PD was playing that well? I recall he was shot out of a cannon first couple games (4 puts first game maybe?) but fell off dramatically...however that could have been the onset of PE...

Well, he was playing better than I thought he would, given his age and coming off of ACL surgery.

All things being equal, I'd rather see him retire/LTIR, whatever option keeps him off the ice. However, the guy's a warrior and he's going to play if he can, and given a choice between some of our other deadwood and him, I'd rather have him on the ice than Kunitz (who doesn't even seem to be close to PD in terms of conditioning) or Scuds.

Unfortunately, If PD is able, he, Kunitz, and Scuds will all be back.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Ehh Coach I think he could be a 3rd line speed/forecheck guy, assuming he still has his speed. Top 6, he is no solution for sure.

Though I'll believe he is off Sid's hip when I see it.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Knowing what I know about blood clots (which is not much beyond my brother, it's true) it scares the heck out of me, and I hope he retires. PE kills people. Any clot in the wrong place can.

I'd like it if the Pens found a way to keep him in the room though, maybe as an assistant or what not, he is such a well respected guy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Ehh Coach I think he could be a 3rd line speed/forecheck guy, assuming he still has his speed. Top 6, he is no solution for sure.

Though I'll believe he is off Sid's hip when I see it.

Who does he push out? Sundqvist? Bennett? Nah, let him sit in the press box.

The minimal upgrade, if that, is not worth pushing their development back another year.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
how many concussions has bergeron had?

4 pretty servere ones. The first one suffered in Oct 2007 kept him out the whole season, the second happened Dec. 2008 and he missed 15 games, the next was May 2011 and missed a few games in the first round of the playoffs, then another April 2013.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Dupuis--despite where he's been used and the numbers he's put up--is not a top six winger, nor should he be on this team. He's also 36, and will have not played a second of real hockey for nearly a calendar year by the time next season rolls around. He is not, nor should it even be in the realm of possibility, that he's a solution to any spot on this roster.

I hope he stays on LTIR, for his health and the team's benefit. It's the best for both parties, bar none.

Agreed. :thumbu:

Current Dupuis would be a major problem in the top 6, and at 3.75mil is at least 2mil too expensive for a 37 year old third line winger.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Agreed. :thumbu:

Current Dupuis would be a major problem in the top 6, and at 3.75mil is at least 2mil too expensive for a 37 year old third line winger.

If he comes back we can probably trade him to NJ for a first round pick. I think its for the best he comes back.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
4 pretty servere ones. The first one suffered in Oct 2007 kept him out the whole season, the second happened Dec. 2008 and he missed 15 games, the next was May 2011 and missed a few games in the first round of the playoffs, then another April 2013.

He also had a few in juniors and the 2007 concussion came courtesy of a hit that also broke his neck.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If he comes back we can probably trade him to NJ for a first round pick. I think its for the best he comes back.

I take it you're being sarcastic, but if not: given his injury history, we'd get a 4th rounder at best. That's if he gets off to a hot start, and if we find the right GM, AND if our GM pulls the trigger (which he didn't last year).

Ie. it's not worth the risk to hope for getting some minor asset back, since chances are we are stuck with him in the event he does come back, IMO.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The weird thing about Bergeron's is that each one seems to be of shorter and shorter duration, which is kind of the opposite of what people claim about concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad