TSN: Off-Season Game-Plan for the New York Rangers

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Almost 99.1% certain that we can`t afford that Scott Cullen roster at all - we need to move contracts and use buyout, and get Staal salary retained somewhere to even consider Kevin Shattenkirk. Although I rather go for Shattenkirk instead of Ilya Kovalchuk, because he can be used on pp as well, and have a great accurate shoot and also from our blueline which we need. It looks like he let Smith go in free agency and did not want to resign him - maybe Scott Cullen consider that Gorton won`t resign B. Smith and he might be too expensive.

We had Brad Richards Marty St. Louis, Dan Boyle, and we don`t need guys who are end of their career here.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sure, Stepan isn't AS useless as the other 2, but these playoffs have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I'm the first one to admit that I am biased here.

Let me rephrase what I meant. With Stepan as our 1C we aren't winning anything.

He is just too.... "relaxed" for my taste.

We had three consective seasons reaching 100+ points with Stepan as our no 1 center. 1 of those, we won the President's Trophy and reached the conference finals.

The words "Stepan" and "Useless" shouldn't be used in the same sentence

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I figured if Shattenkirk signed here it'd be cheap, but apparently Cullen thinks he'll play for free? Money just doesn't work. Lazy article.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yeah, lazy. Agreed.

Clendening isn't signing here.
Gropp shouldn't be on that LW depth chart yet.
There are zero new forwards and one new RD (Shatt)
Retaining both G & Staal = no Shattenkirk
No mention of the Russian Bear
Kinkaid? Uh, okay.
I'm assuming he's assuming Raanta goes to Vegas and Klein is traded? I didn't read.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's basically a swap of Raanta for Kinkaid and Klein for Shattenkirk. That doesn't help the team at all for the long term, and it's just maintaining the status quo. Hopefully Gorton has a much better plan in place, and I trust that he does.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This team is not going anywhere if Holden represents a 2nd pair defenseman. Shattenkirk will not be worth the years and dollars, cap wise.

Unless Gorton works out a miracle, both Girardi & Staal will be here. Actually makes no difference, if they are bought out or not. The team will be feeling cap hell for years to come.

For a cap challenged team, the best chance is the farm......which is why I do not expect the Rangers do fare any better next year than this year. Possibly worse as Henke cannot be counted on to cover flaws anymore.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if we have both Staal and Girardi on the opening day lineup next season, i think im going to go ahead and cancel my NHL Center Ice subscription.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
He didn't even mention Smith, all he did was list him as a ufa lol. Also, I like Klien, but he said he was good when used this year, and that was definitely not the case.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He pokes a lot of holes but doesn't offer anything in the way of a solution.

How is that a "plan" ????

Like being stranded on a desert island and looking around for a place to charge your cell phone.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Cullen does a pretty good job but I don't expect him to know everything about all 30 teams. Then again most of you didn't even know the correct spelling of Jester Fast's name so you should be ashamed.

orland

Jul 29, 2002
Weschester County, N
Visit site
The article was an accurate assessment of the team. Who cares if Cullen doesn't provide moves to improve - that's a crap shoot anyway. Was odd that he gave short shrift to Brendan Smith since he really did fit in nicely but Cullen obviously thinks they are going to sign Shattenkirk which would preclude signing Smith. And he did identify Girardi and Staal has having expired shelf lives - which is way more than the coach has been able to figure out watching them day in and day out. And he did figure out that Glass needs to be bid adieu which is more than the coach who watched him for many years is able to determine.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
the article seemed overly reliant on corsi stats for generating opinions.

It's written by Scott Cullen, TSN.ca Analytics

Of course he going to rely on those numbers, as he should.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
if we have both Staal and Girardi on the opening day lineup next season, i think im going to go ahead and cancel my NHL Center Ice subscription.

I will be riot here on HFBoards - they can`t serious consider to have both playing here next season?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Between TSN, ESPN, NHL writers and all of our local beat writers, it seems like literally no one in the hockey world understands this team at all.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Between TSN, ESPN, NHL writers and all of our local beat writers, it seems like literally no one in the hockey world understands this team at all.
I would also include the coaching staff, management team and fans.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
should have been titled

"another kick at the can: part 2"

since all were doing is adding shatty pretty much, playing the twins "less", keeping the forwards the same and hoping things get better.

nightmare scenario

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
We had three consective seasons reaching 100+ points with Stepan as our no 1 center. 1 of those, we won the President's Trophy and reached the conference finals.

The words "Stepan" and "Useless" shouldn't be used in the same sentence

And yet not a single cup to show for it.

Am I being unfair to Stepan? Perhaps, but his demeanor in these playoffs, in which he most definitely was "useless", sealed it for me. We need a proper 1C and not a pretender who should be a 2C at best.

This team is "good" not because of Stepan, it's a combination of a lot of factors but I don't think he is a contributing factor to their "success".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad