Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
apparently Pearces arm is injured? I was reading through the tweets Olney was replying to

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 9m9 minutes ago
@E4facio Can't throw at the beginning of the year, in all likelihood.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Trading a guy immediately after signing him doesn't seem like a good idea

But I really don't see why you can't fit him in somewhere anyways. Not like a guy getting $6M in FA should be expecting to play 162 games anyways.

is it hard for a player to play 2 positions throughout the year? could he and upton platoon in the OF then some days shift EE to dh and pearce to 1b I think the short straw would be morales in that situation. There is probably a reason this cant happen a more knowledgeable post will tell me why. In this scenario smoak is gone

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I'd be shocked if JB is back in Toronto for 2017, and even more shocked if EE is back. Even with the market for them shrinking, based on management's comments in the media, I can't see the Jays bringing either of them back on shorter and cheaper deals. They want to spend their final budget allotment on more versatile players, a backup catcher, and perhaps some bullpen help (although I see them more likely building that part of the team from within the organization).

I think JB's agent is talking to Toronto just like he's trying to talk to as many other teams as he can. He's just trying to generate a real or perceived market. Maybe that will bring others to the table and create a sense of urgency for teams who might otherwise play it slower. They're getting desperate. Similarily, the Jays are listening because they want to make it seem like they have options as well, perhaps to create a sense of urgency with Fowler or another potential outfielder. I don't think either JB or the Jays see it as a likely scenario at all. I'm guessing it's all just posturing. In addition, at this point in his career, JB needs to move on to 1st/DH. His outfield defense is sub-par now. With Morales and Pearce now heading north of the border, that ship has pretty much sailed.

Same goes for EE, who only plays 1st or DH. Bringing him back would mean sending Pearce to the OF full time, which I don't think they want to do. From what I've heard, Pearce's defense is also not that great. I would've liked for the two camps to have met before Pearce signed (and maybe they did, who really knows) and hammer out a deal. Once Pearce signed his deal, just like with JB, they no longer had room to realistically fit EE on the roster.

My prediction - JB to Seattle on a 2-year deal after Trumbo doesn't sign there, and EE to Cleveland on a 2-year deal. Both get close to $18M per year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
you cant trade a player unless they agree to it tho. So Pearce would only go to a destination he was also interested in.

Yes you can. Pearce doesn't have a NTC, you can trade him wherever you want to.

That being said you'd be an idiot to do it because you don't trade the guy you just signed, but still.

I wouldn't even bother asking him, that would look pretty bad too.

If you sign EE then Pearce plays mostly outfield, if he doesn't play more than 100 games, oh well he'll still be worth it.

I think signing EE you'd be edging into the law of diminishing returns a little bit. Pearce would still get plenty of OF time but I don't think he'd be playing as often as you'd like.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Alright. That's enough.

We are all correct that Ben Revere is not great. He is also not as good as some casual fans may tend to believe (atleast prior to 2016 and injury riddled year).

That said, given what the team currently has on its 40-man, how much he would cost, the term that would be committed to him, he would not be a bad option. In fact, the signing itself would be prudent. 2014-2015 wRC+ of 96 and wOBA of .310, and 80 steals.

As far as him hitting leadoff; its not ideal, but other than Devon Travis, there aren't many people I would feel comfortable leading off before him.

There! I said it! I'm going to go take a shower now, because I feel dirty.

So because Revere had a bad season last season it means hes not good. He was injured, is still young enough to rebound and definitely will come on the cheap side of things.

The best player out of the 4 (EE, Bautista, Fowler, and Revere) is definitely EE by a large margin. Its actually not even close. How someone can say that Fowler is the best of the 4 because of one breakout season has me stumped. EE is still only 33, no one has the power numbers of him over the past 5 years other then Davis in Baltimore. How can Fowler be slated above him??

In the end if there was a way to bring 2 out of the 4 back...EE and Revere would be best. EE because hes proven and risk is low on investment. And Revere because hes still young, hes proven before he could do it, and the risk on investment is very low, but at the same time you fill the needs.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
is it hard for a player to play 2 positions throughout the year? could he and upton platoon in the OF then some days shift EE to dh and pearce to 1b I think the short straw would be morales in that situation. There is probably a reason this cant happen a more knowledgeable post will tell me why. In this scenario smoak is gone

I think it would be a wonderful idea to platoon the guy who mashes lefties and ok against righties with the guy who is solid against lefties and can't hit righties for ****

^sarcasm, platoon Pearce and Upton makes no sense, they're strong side is both against lefties. Pearce is better against both lefties and righties so should always be playing ahead of Upton

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Yes you can. Pearce doesn't have a NTC, you can trade him wherever you want to.

Lupe Chavez Fan Club ‏@LupeChavezFan 18m18 minutes ago
@Buster_ESPN IIRC A player can be traded after they sign, but the player has the right to veto the trade.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 16m16 minutes ago
@LupeChavezFan He has to agree, correct.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
So because Revere had a bad season last season it means hes not good. He was injured, is still young enough to rebound and definitely will come on the cheap side of things.

The best player out of the 4 (EE, Bautista, Fowler, and Revere) is definitely EE by a large margin. Its actually not even close. How someone can say that Fowler is the best of the 4 because of one breakout season has me stumped. EE is still only 33, no one has the power numbers of him over the past 5 years other then Davis in Baltimore. How can Fowler be slated above him??

In the end if there was a way to bring 2 out of the 4 back...EE and Revere would be best. EE because hes proven and risk is low on investment. And Revere because hes still young, hes proven before he could do it, and the risk on investment is very low, but at the same time you fill the needs.

so you're saying Chris Davis is better thna Trout, Harper, Machado, Donaldson, etc? and that EE is better than them? Gotcha.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Lupe Chavez Fan Club ‏@LupeChavezFan 18m18 minutes ago
@Buster_ESPN IIRC A player can be traded after they sign, but the player has the right to veto the trade.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 16m16 minutes ago
@LupeChavezFan He has to agree, correct.

1 request can you link tweets using the
How long does this apply. I assume it's not indefinitely, so there has to be a cutoff point at some point which they can trade him

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think it would be a wonderful idea to platoon the guy who mashes lefties and ok against righties with the guy who is solid against lefties and can't hit righties for ****

^sarcasm, platoon Pearce and Upton makes no sense, they're strong side is both against lefties. Pearce is better against both lefties and righties so should always be playing ahead of Upton

ok as I said a more knowledgeable poster will tell me why. Thanks I guess

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I can't find that rule that doesn't allow them to trade Pearce. I assume Olney knows what he's talking about, but Pearce doesn't have 5/10 rights and everything I can find is regards to negotiated NTC's and not automatic period of time you can't trade a newly signed FA

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Last 3yrs:

En'cion (34): 1326pa, 142wrc+, 8.4fwar, 8.4bwar, 4.1war/650
Fowler (31): 1241pa, 119wrc+, 8.0fwar, 6.4bwar, 3.8war/650
Bautista (36): 1183pa, 136wrc+, 5.8fwar, 6.1bwar, 3.3war/650

Upton (32): 767pa, 92wrc+, 2.7fwar, 2.9bwar, 2.4war/650
Pompey (24): 105pa, 78wrc+, 0.2fwar, 0.7bwar, 2.8war/650
Revere (29): 1009pa, 79wrc+, 0.8fwar, 1.4bwar, 0.7war/650
Carrera (30): 502pa, 87wrc+, 0.9fwar, -0.2bwar, 0.5war/650

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
found it

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3524

5. An Article XX-B MLB free-agent who signs a Major League contract after 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series has an automatic "no trade" right through June 15th. The player can waive this right, but if he does he can be traded only for cash and/or player contracts with a maximum aggregate value of $50,000. Note that an Article XX-B MLB free-agent who signs a minor league contract after 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series does NOT receive an automatic "no trade" right, even if the player is later added to the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster).

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Don't like the idea of trading a guy we just signed.

Pearce is a versatile player, no need to trade him even if we signed EE.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Just go and get EE. Offer him 22+ X 3 years and go and get him. We all want him, he's a huge contributor and if we're sneaky we could put even more people on base for him next year.

I feel annoyed because this feels like it's so obvious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad