Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
Hypothetical:

would you take EE and Revere, or Bautista and Fowler?

This is the same as asking "Bautista+Fowler or EE+nothing".

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
apparently they wanna play Desmond at 1B, a position he's never played? and they gave up the #11 for it? lol

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Does the desmond contract effect what fowler could demand?

He can demand more but if no one will give it, it doesn't matter. One dumb move doesn't obligate the league to follow suit.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's relevant because it appears he is the Jays' cheap Plan B for leadoff.

Revere for leadoff? Please tell me you're joking.

If you're serious google Revere fangraphs, look at his numbers last year and get back to me. Revere will be lucky to get an MLB contract, let alone a starting job, let alone hitting leadoff

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Last thread took 2 days to fill :laugh:

The jays discussion prefix cuts off back at when the Dickey rumours were gaining steam (4 threads in 2 days?) but I'm not sure if anything will ever compare to the pandemonium that was the Marlins trade. Every page involved someone trying to figure out how to compare the trade with NHL equivalents.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Revere for leadoff? Please tell me you're joking.

If you're serious google Revere fangraphs, look at his numbers last year and get back to me. Revere will be lucky to get an MLB contract, let alone a starting job, let alone hitting leadoff

he's not just cheap, he's free.

or at least he better be.

That should be plan Z. He is awful.

In fact, John Gibbons admitted, per a John Lott tweet, that Fowler certainly could be the answer the Jays are looking for in their lead-off spot -- though he also said Ben Revere could work there too. Apparently that wasn't by mistake, either, as Davidi reports in his latest for Sportsnet that the Jays have a similar plan for Fowler as they did with Encarnacion: Dexter is the Plan A, and a Plan B would involve smaller acquisitions out of a pool of guys like Revere, Michael Saunders, and Brandon Moss.

http://bluejaysnation.com/2016/12/6...ardinals-have-reportedly-made-a-similar-offer

I didn't just choose Revere out of the blue.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Gibby is serious hopefully he too looks at his numbers last year before doing something stupider than the Rockies circa 3 hours ago.

I'm hoping it sorta got took out of context as in they were talking about Fowler leading off and then some mis-informed reporter thought to himself, Revere would be great at leadoff, and just asked them about Revere and Gibby didn't realize it was in relation to finding a leadoff hitter and instead just a question about possibly bringing in Revere

In other words I would have to see how the question was framed before believeing that. Revere at leadoff is a horible idea. Like possible worse than Goins at leadoff(fun fact: someone posted the idea of Goins at leadoff here last year)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If Gibby is serious hopefully he too looks at his numbers last year before doing something stupider than the Rockies circa 3 hours ago.

I'm hoping it sorta got took out of context as in they were talking about Fowler leading off and then some mis-informed reporter thought to himself, Revere would be great at leadoff, and just asked them about Revere and Gibby didn't realize it was in relation to finding a leadoff hitter and instead just a question about possibly bringing in Revere

In other words I would have to see how the question was framed before believeing that. Revere at leadoff is a horible idea. Like possible worse than Goins at leadoff(fun fact: someone posted the idea of Goins at leadoff here last year)

maybe he thought about after saying fowler would lead off "oh **** better add another name" oh yeah and we thought of revere too. Although I dont know is gibby can think that fast

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
God, I think that I'd prefer Pillar hitting leadoff.

Alright. That's enough.

We are all correct that Ben Revere is not great. He is also not as good as some casual fans may tend to believe (atleast prior to 2016 and injury riddled year).

That said, given what the team currently has on its 40-man, how much he would cost, the term that would be committed to him, he would not be a bad option. In fact, the signing itself would be prudent. 2014-2015 wRC+ of 96 and wOBA of .310, and 80 steals.

As far as him hitting leadoff; its not ideal, but other than Devon Travis, there aren't many people I would feel comfortable leading off before him.

There! I said it! I'm going to go take a shower now, because I feel dirty.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Trading a guy immediately after signing him doesn't seem like a good idea

But I really don't see why you can't fit him in somewhere anyways. Not like a guy getting $6M in FA should be expecting to play 162 games anyways.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
you cant trade a player unless they agree to it tho. So Pearce would only go to a destination he was also interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad