Celtics/NBA Off-Season/Draft - Celtics complete sign-and-trade, send Gordon Hayward to Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just a heads up for any Canadian Celtics fans ( unless we really all do cheer for the Raptors :laugh: ) Sportsnet has shuffled their TV line-up around for tonight. Sportsnet 360 will show the Celtics vs Miami game at 6:30 pm Eastern and the Clippers vs Denver game at 9:00 pm Eastern.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
EiAe6SaWoAAuH2p

Reactions: N o o d l e s

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thank god he turned down going to the lakers with Lebron and AD. There truly would be no chance for anybody. That’s 3 of the top 5 players lol

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just a heads up for any Canadian Celtics fans ( unless we really all do cheer for the Raptors :laugh: ) Sportsnet has shuffled their TV line-up around for tonight. Sportsnet 360 will show the Celtics vs Miami game at 6:30 pm Eastern and the Clippers vs Denver game at 9:00 pm Eastern.

I found out in Edmonton that SN 360 is far from a universal channel

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Thank god he turned down going to the lakers with Lebron and AD. There truly would be no chance for anybody. That’s 3 of the top 5 players lol
His uncle asked for many things that violated the CBA
You Won't Believe What Kawhi Leonard's Uncle Dennis Asked for in Free Agency - Sportscasting | Pure Sports
EiAb3aoU0AAso68

From a legal standpoint, the LA Clippers franchise is actually the original Celtics franchise from 1946-1978

The Celtics today are actually the Buffalo Braves

Freaky Friday, N.B.A. Style: When the Clippers Were the Celtics
The Celtics retained some players from their 1977-1978 roster so there is some continuity there. The NHL should really be counting the Seals/Barons franchise as being merged with the stars from 1978-1991 and becoming the sharks in the 1991-1992 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilDead and CDJ

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
His uncle asked for many things that violated the CBA
You Won't Believe What Kawhi Leonard's Uncle Dennis Asked for in Free Agency - Sportscasting | Pure Sports

The Celtics retained some players from their 1977-1978 roster so there is some continuity there. The NHL should really be counting the Seals/Barons franchise as being merged with the stars from 1978-1991 and becoming the sharks in 1991-1992 season.

That’s because, in the strictest of strictest interpretations of the law — not to be confused with what actually goes on in the N.B.A. — the Clippers are, in reality, the Boston Celtics. The owner, Donald Sterling, longed to model his franchise after the Celtics (even though every move he made basically killed that plan). Well, he got his wish.

We’re talking legalese and very fine print here, and the story goes all the way back to 1978. That year, the owner of the Celtics was a Hollywood guy by the name of Irv Levin. He wanted to move the team to southern California, but he knew the N.B.A. would never allow that to happen.

So Levin did the next best thing. He convinced the owner of the Buffalo Braves, the Kentucky Fried Chicken magnate John Y. Brown, to swap franchises.

“My understanding, as best as I can remember, is that the current Celtics team is a successor to the Buffalo Braves,’’ Russ Granik, former deputy commissioner of the N.B.A., said in a telephone conversation on Tuesday. He was the N.B.A.’s assistant general counsel in 1978.

And that would mean that the current Clippers team is the successor to the Boston Celtics?

“Yes,’’ Granik said. “In a strictly legal sense.”

But in the N.B.A. world, none of that legal mumbo-jumbo matters. The swap merely meant that the Celtics were now in the hands of a new owner.

The franchise swap was approved by the N.B.A.’s Board of Governors by a 21-1 vote. The teams swapped rosters, but not before Brown and Levin completed a trade that involved several players, including future Hall of Famer Nate Archibald. Levin moved the Braves to San Diego, where they became the Clippers.

The business entity that owned the Boston Celtics in 1978 moved to San Diego and became the business entity that owned the Clippers. When deferred compensation checks were mailed out to the likes of former Celtics player and coach Tom Heinsohn and others, they were from the Clippers’ bank account.

Levin later sold the team to Sterling, who moved the team to Los Angeles in 1984.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I found out in Edmonton that SN 360 is far from a universal channel

Sportsnet 360 is available throughout Canada but maybe it wasn't included in the cable package where you were in Edmonton. Some Canadian cable companies split up the Sportsnet channels into 2 packages - one has the 4 main channels and another has Sportsnet 360 and Sportsnet One. As far as I know Sportsnet One and Sportsnet 360 are available everywhere in Canada while the main Sportsnet channels ( East, West, Ontario and Pacific ) are available in most parts of Canada but are also subject to the NHL blackout rules. For example - here in Vancouver I get all 6 of the Sportsnet channels and if an NHL game is on Sportsnet East, West or Ontario it can sometimes be blacked out because the Canucks are playing at the same time on Sportsnet Pacific. But if a game is airing on Sportsnet 360 or Sportsnet One there would be no blackout if the Canucks were playing on Sportsnet Pacific.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sportsnet 360 is available throughout Canada but maybe it wasn't included in the cable package where you were in Edmonton. Some Canadian cable companies split up the Sportsnet channels into 2 packages - one has the 4 main channels and another has Sportsnet 360 and Sportsnet One. As far as I know Sportsnet One and Sportsnet 360 are available everywhere in Canada while the main Sportsnet channels ( East, West, Ontario and Pacific ) are available in most parts of Canada but are also subject to the NHL blackout rules. For example - here in Vancouver I get all 6 of the Sportsnet channels and if an NHL game is on Sportsnet East, West or Ontario it can sometimes be blacked out because the Canucks are playing at the same time on Sportsnet Pacific. But if a game is airing on Sportsnet 360 or Sportsnet One there would be no blackout if the Canucks were playing on Sportsnet Pacific.

@BostonBob I was in Rogers Place :biglaugh:

TV at the JW Marriott in Edmonton fascinates me as it offers BOSTON stations for PBS, FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC plus TV38 o_O

For some reason, the Canadian authorities are very selective in what US signals can be imported.

List of United States television stations available in Canada - Wikipedia

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This has always been super confusing to me. Basically everything about the Celtics stayed the same, except the owner, right?

pretty much

The business entity that owned the Boston Celtics in 1978 moved to San Diego and became the business entity that owned the Clippers. When deferred compensation checks were mailed out to the likes of former Celtics player and coach Tom Heinsohn and others, they were from the Clippers’ bank account.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think it is time for them to part ways with Doc

With all the pro teams in SoCal only 2 are considered royalty - The Dodgers and Lakers and both teams have their own channel.

The Clippers failed to take advantage of the Lakers lean years and this year went all in and at least expected to meet LAL in the WCF but....

Reactions: Alicat

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
TSN 3 will now be showing Game #2 of the Eastern Conference Final. They dropped the Thursday Night NFL game which can still be seen on TSN 1, TSN 4 and TSN 5.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
With all the pro teams in SoCal only 2 are considered royalty - The Dodgers and Lakers and both teams have their own channel.

The Clippers failed to take advantage of the Lakers lean years and this year went all in and at least expected to meet LAL in the WCF but....

Beating LAL in the WCF in the bubble would have been far different than at Staples. But this was their 'year' on the court. If the season is condensed I can see Kahwi being rested every other game and them getting a crappy seed. PG might be done as a star him Morris/Williams/Beverly aren't young all 30+ and Harrell will probably leave (Toronto ironically is the favorites to sign him.) 8 seed is more likely than 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille