Off-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nynja*

Funny how all we hear from the "experts" in here is that the system sucks...yet that system took a 28th place team to the top 5 in the NHL the last 3 years and 6 rounds of playoffs.

Then they counter by saying it's all Price...so Price outshot TB and Ottawa these playoffs? Price must be setting up Plekanec Pacioretty Gallagher Subban and Markov for all their points...

Price's back up the last 2 years...Budaj .908 and .909 save % with the Habs, suddenly he leaves and goes .888 in the AHL!!! Must be Price playing defense in front of him... Tokarski's save % the last 2 years: .915, Maybe Price played in front of him too?

The system used in 2013 was the same system used in 2012 when they finished in 28th place. Theres no way to implement a new system in a lockout season with no pre-season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd say its unlikely the Habs out shooting Ottawa and Tampa in the playoffs had any impact on the regular season importance of Price these last 2 seasons...

DA system works.

Let's forget that we were in bottom 5 in every category that isn't directly influenced by Carey Price.

It's Therriens system that made Price better, though.

He'll just continually ignore the article that I posted that refutes his nonsense.

Calls out other posters for selective hearing. Ignores everything that has hard facts against him. Then says everyone but him is using "facts" and says its laughable garbage.

K man, we are all done with the shtick.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
The system used in 2013 was the same system used in 2012 when they finished in 28th place. Theres no way to implement a new system in a lockout season with no pre-season.

It's funny there's no way to implement a system in that time span but Bylsma had time to change the team from top to bottom when he took over the Penguins the year they won the cup.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
That's funny, last year we had 3 guys taking the puck directly to the net.

So next years excuse will be "My pride is injured?". You know since he's running out of body parts.

You know what separates a good playoff player and Max. If your line mates don't score, drive the ****ing net and work harder.

Really? Making jokes about a players health and suggesting he's making up excuses? You've obviously never had a concussion before. Done wasting my time debating with you. :laugh:

Nynja*

It's funny there's no way to implement a system that time span but Bylsma had time to change the team from top to bottom when he took over the Penguins the year they won the cup.

Its easier to destroy something than it is to build it.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
In my opinion, going with Galchenyuk/Eller/DLR/Mitchell into next season is asking for trouble.

You need to keep Plekanec. I just don't see anyway around it. I get that people are frustrated at his half-assed effort in the playoffs yet again, but he's too important to this team to just let him go. You can use Eller on the 2nd line and have Plekanec on the third for all I care. At least Tomas gives some offensive upside to the 3rd line and gives us a much more well-rounded line-up than whatever winger you think you can get in return.

Agree with that
Plekanec is a good regular season player and Habs dont have a lot of strong center talent

Also if Habs organisation are able to find a real #1 center Plekanec could be a good 2-3 center.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
...but it's all because of the system right?

You're the genius who thinks this is a team that should play run and gun hockey!

Brilliant!

:facepalm:

I'd like to see players used to their ability. Don't know where I ever mentioned the term "run and gun". I'm more a fan of the style that doesn't preach every player being a cookie cutter mold of a grinder.

We have one of, if not the most, dynamic offensive defenseman in the league and he BARELY rushed the puck all play-offs.

If you can't see the lifeblood of creativity, skill and offensive hockey sucked out of this team and its players for two straight seasons.. you're hopeless man.

I'm done with you. It's complete nonsense. You'll ignore facts and posts that make you look foolish. You push the same stupid **** over and over again even when proven vehemently false.. then you put words in other peoples mouths.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Really? Making jokes about a players health and suggesting he's making up excuses? You've obviously never had a concussion before. Done wasting my time debating with you. :laugh:

Thank god. For a second there I thought you knew me on a personal level and were going to expose my health issues.

Yes I made fun of Max Pacioretty in my post, thank you for the reading comprehension skills.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Funny how all we hear from the "experts" in here is that the system sucks...yet that system took a 28th place team to the top 5 in the NHL the last 3 years and 6 rounds of playoffs.

Then they counter by saying it's all Price...so Price outshot TB and Ottawa these playoffs? Price must be setting up Plekanec Pacioretty Gallagher Subban and Markov for all their points...

Price's back up the last 2 years...Budaj .908 and .909 save % with the Habs, suddenly he leaves and goes .888 in the AHL!!! Must be Price playing defense in front of him... Tokarski's save % the last 2 years: .915, Maybe Price played in front of him too?

"Da record"

For a guy that calls himself a scout, you sure put a lot of emphasis on stats and less so actually watching the game.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Hudon-Plekanec-DSP/UFA/Trade
DSP/UFA/Trade-Eller-McCarron
DLR-Mitchell-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert/Emelin/Pateryn

Get DD and PAP the **** out of here, Prust too. Hope to flip one of Gilbert or Emelin. Bring in some young guys, hope to sign Ward or Beleksy.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

So what you're saying is we should ignore 82 game examples of the system essentially being Carey Price because 12 games were played differently? And that's being generous as we played poorly in four of those twelve games. Let's put that all aside though! Riddle me this instead. Why are we playing two different systems? Is it not more productive to play a relatively similar system throughout - making adjustments as necessary, so players are not being asked to do something entirely different than they are otherwise accustom to.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
The defence if they sign Petry is set. Up front the biggest problem is down the middle and after this last playoffs not sure how anyone could justify going down that road again with Pleks/DD. That is the most pressing roster issue (20 years running) and needs to be rectified if this team wants to compete with the big boys.

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
I want Therrien gone. Back to L'Antichambre or Nunavut, I don't care. Just get out.

From l'Antichambre to Habs coaching
You see that it's not serious

I remember his mediority and narrow mind at l'antichambre and cant beleive this moron was hire a second time by the Habs

Sent him to any team you hate for head coaching to ensure total regression negativity for that team for the next five years

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Hudon-Plekanec-DSP/UFA/Trade
DSP/UFA/Trade-Eller-McCarron
DLR-Mitchell-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert/Emelin/Pateryn

Get DD and PAP the **** out of here, Prust too. Hope to flip one of Gilbert or Emelin. Bring in some young guys, hope to sign Ward or Beleksy.

I would keep Emelin until I'm sure Tinordi is able to take his spot. Same for Gilbert with Pateryn. I would keep all 8 of them to begin the year and I would do like you said for the forwards except I would keep Prust as a fourth line/13th forward.

Hudon-Plekanec-UFA/Trade
DLR-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise
Flynn

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Emelin/Tinordi-GilbertPateryn

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Bergevin takes good decisions.

All his trades:

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Marc_Bergevin/17

I don't see any bad trade yet, maybe some draws but some really good ones.

Yeah, the trades are all good in an individual context. But I was specifically talking about moves to help the Habs going forward.

So far, Bergevin has been great in that way by dropping the dead wood. But the decision he will take regarding Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller will be the most defining of how he sees the habs and how he wants them going forward.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
The defence if they sign Petry is set. Up front the biggest problem is down the middle and after this last playoffs not sure how anyone could justify going down that road again with Pleks/DD. That is the most pressing roster issue (20 years running) and needs to be rectified if this team wants to compete with the big boys.

I don't think the D is set still with Petry. We have Emelin and Gilbert on the bottom pairing who are preventing kids like Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren (before he got concussed and left) from seeing ice time and learn in the NHL. All this while they are constantly making mistakes while being veterans.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Yeah, the trades are all good in an individual context. But I was specifically talking about moves to help the Habs going forward.

So far, Bergevin has been great in that way by dropping the dead wood. But the decision he will take regarding Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller will be the most defining of how he sees the habs and how he wants them going forward.

I have faith that he will take the good decision about that. I mean nobody saw that coming when Gorges was traded (a vocal guy being with habs for 8 years) for a pick...Even if Desharnais is french, if he's the player they want to trade, they will do it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Well first by numbers but second, he's inconstent in his effort in the season. He has too much empty offensive periods in the season to be a go to guy offensively. I really like Eller, I said it a lot of times that I hope he will not be traded. He's another Jan Bulis, he can't accept his role on a team but they are players like that, it's just a little harder to coach.

Weise is a guy who was written off as an occasional 4th line guy and who asked for more of a role in Vancouver and was traded instead. He's playing on the ****ing first line here now. The guy can score 10-15 goals a year.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
According to this http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/16 we have just over 10 million in cap space just to sign Petry, Galchenyuk and Beaulieu.

There has to be some sort of trade because Petry 5.5-6m, Galchenyuk 3-3.5m and Beaulieu 1.5-2m will be way too tight on the cap.

Simple.
Trade Markov and DD for picks and that frees up 9.25 million, thus have 19.25 to spend.
Petry for 5.5/4 years.
Galchenyuk for 4.5/5
and Beaulieu I agree with.

That leaves 11.5 to find a ****ing winger.

Beaulieu - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Tinordi/Pateryn - Gilbert.

PP Lines.
Subban - Petry
Gilbert - Beaulieu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad