Off-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
He's a quality complementary player, I don't pretend he's anything more than that. We have a pillar between the post and one on the blueline. We need a forward pillar now, and the only one with that potential has been rotting over the season to the benefit of DD.

I don't even see him as complementary. Gaborik is more injury prone than Max and he still brought it in the playoffs and took it to the net.

Max has no intensity in his game. Sure he'll throw a hit here and there, skate a bit faster, have his 1 or 2 board battles a game, but he doesn't fight for space.

Habs will not win with him playing the way he does.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
...but yeah, he hates Eller and loves Desharnais. :laugh:

I swear to god you don't even watch the games. What you are saying is just ****ing rediculous. You auditioning for the soon to be vacant assistant coaching position beside MT?

If you seriously disagree that MT is in love with DD and dislikes Eller, then WOW!!! This is apologist level 9000.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
did you watch the playoffs? or do you base your evaluation of how players contributed solely on the pts column?

His evaluation of the players contribution goes down solely based on.... well, let's just say its a hotly debated topic that usually carries infractions. I won't say it.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Ovechkin - 9 points in 14 games.
Stamkos - 10 in 13.
Nash - 7 in 12

Etc.

Pacioretty - 7 in 11. Injuries happen, and he said himself today it was a bad concussion. Not everyone is a Gallagher type player. He needs someone who can feed him the puck when he finds those quiet areas to snipe. Thats just the player he is, piss off and deal with it. He would have been PPG if Pleky buried those chances he had.
Where do we draw the line though? His intensity doesn't go up at notch and the sample is only getting bigger when you add last year's playoffs and the Olympics where he was invisible. I'm not arguing to trade him far from that but he's not a true leader on the ice. He's never going to be the guy to count on in the playoffs. Kessel would be a fine addition, I'd deal DLR, our first next year, Reway/Lehkonen and Eller for him (15% retention though).

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
Translation: Eller is gone.

MB got Briere, MT would not play him, gone. MB got Sekac, MT would not play him, gone.

MT is not going to give Eller PP time or a more offensive role. Now Eller is talking, has always kept his mouth shut but now he is talking. I believe that there are other teams out there who will see that Eller is a 3rd line center at worst, but if given a chance may have more to give, so will offer something better than what you would get for a 3rd line center. Eller likely gone, unless MB tells MT how it will be .

What bums me out about Eller is that he may just be what we see right now, which is still good, but I wonder, if he had a good skill winger ( Galchenyuk ) , what could he do ? If he had the chance of a more offensive role ? We may find out with him on another team.

It's true but it's harder for MT to get rid of Eller because Eller is defensively reliable and he's above average in PO performance

Also I will not be suprise that MB and MT have disagreement about Eller case because I really beleive that MT dont like Eller just by the obvious way to not giving him any offensive opportunity

Also a good organisation should never find player potential from another team after a trade. If it's the case, then it's a failure and it's possible with the negativity MT minding.

MT block Eller chance and progression and I'm sure Eller could be a good efficient
2-ways center

Last thing it's right now it's look like it is more Eller who want to leave the Habs
He have a face of disgusting about his role when press ask question about it

I will repeat again, the first thing that Habs should replace is MT

MT is a mediocre coach that nobody wanted in NHL after Pittsburgh experience until Habs hire him for a second time because of french constraint and MB friendship

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
Where do we draw the line though? His intensity doesn't go up at notch and the sample is only getting bigger when you add last year's playoffs and the Olympics where he was invisible. I'm not arguing to trade him far from that but he's not a true leader on the ice. He's never going to be the guy to count on in the playoffs. Kessel would be a fine addition, I'd deal DLR, our first next year, Reway/Lehkonen and Eller for him (15% retention though).
Holy overpayment Batman!

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Stamkos - 10 in 13.
Nash - 7 in 12

Etc.

Pacioretty - 7 in 11. Injuries happen, and he said himself today it was a bad concussion. Not everyone is a Gallagher type player. He needs someone who can feed him the puck when he finds those quiet areas to snipe. Thats just the player he is, piss off and deal with it. He would have been PPG if Pleky buried those chances he had.

Yay for stat watching. Its a good thing I watch the games.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
And how many points did Davey get?

go away.

It's not Davey's fault!!

Patches is a floater.
Gallagher has no talent (unless we're talking about MTs development, then he's the most skilled forward EVAR)
Galchenyuk is a BUST
Weise is a grinder

He had no help on his wing other than PAP.. but poor PAP, he was injured, so he gets a free pass.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yay for stat watching. Its a good thing I watch the games.

So then you did see the several times Pacioretty set Pleks up with a sure goal that would have probably won us those games then?

and he's had quite a few game winning playoff goals the past few years too. Including series clinchers.

He's playing with two players who can't set anything up with passes and still managed 5 goals. You're living in a fantasy world if you think everyone / anyone else is gunna battle like Gallagher.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
It's not Davey's fault!!

Patches is a floater.
Gallagher has no talent (unless we're talking about MTs development, then he's the most skilled forward EVAR)
Galchenyuk is a BUST
Weise is a grinder

He had no help on his wing other than PAP.. but poor PAP, he was injured, so he gets a free pass.
They named a coffee after David Deshnaris. Go to Tims and ask for a double double. They will write DD on it and yes they correlate.

Any player with a food named after them is exempt from critisim.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
In my opinion, going with Galchenyuk/Eller/DLR/Mitchell into next season is asking for trouble.

You need to keep Plekanec. I just don't see anyway around it. I get that people are frustrated at his half-assed effort in the playoffs yet again, but he's too important to this team to just let him go. You can use Eller on the 2nd line and have Plekanec on the third for all I care. At least Tomas gives some offensive upside to the 3rd line and gives us a much more well-rounded line-up than whatever winger you think you can get in return.

Agreed. You'd be asking each of our top 3 centers to play in an advance role they've never had sustained success with in their careers.

Galchenyuk has been a 2nd line winger that moves to play 1st line C.
Eller a 3rd line C that moves to play 2nd line C.
DLR a rookie who moves to play full time 3rd line C.

Maybe one or even two embrace their new roles, but the likelihood that at least one would fail would be high. And what if an injury occurs?

It may be the long term plan to have this C lineup, but we'd have to get some serious upgrades on the wing and some good fortune for this to work out next season.

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
I've got a feeling this isnt looking very good for Therrien. If its true he isnt speaking to the press alone today and if in fact he does speak with Bergevin tomorrow than that doesnt make me feel like MB trusts him.

I seriously hope MB holds his ground and keeps Eller, trades Desharnais. I specifically remember him saying great things about Eller at the deadlines, like building teams around him. Therrien using him the way he did reinforces my thoughts that MB and MT arent on the same wavelength.

I beleive that also
At least MB stop some MT coaching stupidity
It's only a good sign if MB start to have doubt on MT coaching

It will be a big regression if DD stay and Eller is trading
The problem with DD is he worth nothing on the market and it's difficult to have something for him

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
So then you did see the several times Pacioretty set Pleks up with a sure goal that would have probably won us those games then?

and he's had quite a few game winning playoff goals the past few years too. Including series clinchers.

He's playing with two players who can't set anything up with passes and still managed 5 goals. You're living in a fantasy world if you think everyone / anyone else is gunna battle like Gallagher.

That's funny, last year we had 3 guys taking the puck directly to the net.

So next years excuse will be "My pride is injured?". You know since he's running out of body parts.

You know what separates a good playoff player and Max. If your line mates don't score, drive the ****ing net and work harder.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Stamkos - 10 in 13.
Nash - 7 in 12

Etc.

that's all fine and good... he is what he is, and at a 4.5M$ cap hit, he's a massive bargain (maybe the best non-ELC value contract in the league).

but he's not a leader, at least not on the ice. you can't play a perimeter game AND show no desire/willingness to stick up for your teammates, and be an on-ice leader... especially when you are one of the biggest/strongest forwards on the team.

he's soft, doesn't like the violent side of the game (in this, i don't blame him... the post-whistle stuff in the playoffs is absolute garbage and completely unnecessary, as is the fighting), and in his 30 playoff games, has been considerably below his regular season productivity.

when you go from a .85 ppg guy to a .56 ppg guy, that's reflecting an inability to adjust your game to the playoff context...
contrast that with a guy like Pat Kane, also a relatively "soft" player who avoids the physicality and violence, yet is able to INCREASE his post-season productivity.

that's on-ice leadership (and i dislike Kane, whose off-ice character/behavior is highly questionable), that's NOT what Pacioretty brings... unfortunately.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

i'm with you on the Patches comments...

but you want to address our lack of on-ice leadership.... by trading for Phil Kessel? :help:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
What gives me hope is that Bergevin didn't hesitate to put Gomez away, neither did he hesitate to trade Gorges, Moen and Bourque.

I still believe in him, but his next moves will really be defining.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Funny how all we hear from the "experts" in here is that the system sucks...yet that system took a 28th place team to the top 5 in the NHL the last 3 years and 6 rounds of playoffs.

Then they counter by saying it's all Price...so Price outshot TB and Ottawa these playoffs? Price must be setting up Plekanec Pacioretty Gallagher Subban and Markov for all their points...

Price's back up the last 2 years...Budaj .908 and .909 save % with the Habs, suddenly he leaves and goes .888 in the AHL!!! Must be Price playing defense in front of him... Tokarski's save % the last 2 years: .915, Maybe Price played in front of him too?

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
that's all fine and good... he is what he is, and at a 4.5M$ cap hit, he's a massive bargain (maybe the best non-ELC value contract in the league).

but he's not a leader, at least not on the ice. you can't play a perimeter game AND show no desire/willingness to stick up for your teammates, and be an on-ice leader... especially when you are one of the biggest/strongest forwards on the team.

he's soft, doesn't like the violent side of the game (in this, i don't blame him... the post-whistle stuff in the playoffs is absolute garbage and completely unnecessary, as is the fighting), and in his 30 playoff games, has been considerably below his regular season productivity.

when you go from a .85 ppg guy to a .56 ppg guy, that's reflecting an inability to adjust your game to the playoff context...
contrast that with a guy like Pat Kane, also a relatively "soft" player who avoids the physicality and violence, yet is able to INCREASE his post-season productivity.

that's on-ice leadership (and i dislike Kane, whose off-ice character/behavior is highly questionable), that's NOT what Pacioretty brings... unfortunately.

When Gaborik takes the puck to the net every shift and you have a 37 goal scorer who takes pot shots from every where that isn't high scoring areas, you know he doesn't want to do the work. He just wants the easy stuff.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
Agreed. You'd be asking each of our top 3 centers to play in an advance role they've never had sustained success with in their careers.

Galchenyuk has been a 2nd line winger that moves to play 1st line C.
Eller a 3rd line C that moves to play 2nd line C.
DLR a rookie who moves to play full time 3rd line C.

Maybe one or even two embrace their new roles, but the likelihood that at least one would fail would be high. And what if an injury occurs?

It may be the long term plan to have this C lineup, but we'd have to get some serious upgrades on the wing and some good fortune for this to work out next season.

Yep, that's way too risky. The margin between being in the playoffs or not isn't that big. Heck, the Kings didn't even make the playoffs and they won the cup last year. All it takes is a few bad stretches, an injury like you said and suddenly we're in big trouble.

We need to keep Plekanec for at least another season... and Desharnais will probably stay with us. That's bad news for Eller :(

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Funny how all we hear from the "experts" in here is that the system sucks...yet that system took a 28th place team to the top 5 in the NHL the last 3 years and 6 rounds of playoffs.

Then they counter by saying it's all Price...so Price outshot TB and Ottawa these playoffs? Price must be setting up Plekanec Pacioretty Gallagher Subban and Markov for all their points...

Price's back up the last 2 years...Budaj .908 and .909 save % with the Habs, suddenly he leaves and goes .888 in the AHL!!! Must be Price playing defense in front of him... Tokarski's save % the last 2 years: .915, Maybe Price played in front of him too?

I don't know what's more sickening to me. Your random diatribes or your username.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

I'd say its unlikely the Habs out shooting Ottawa and Tampa in the playoffs had any impact on the regular season importance of Price these last 2 seasons to the system and top 5 finishes...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's not Davey's fault!!

Patches is a floater.
Galchenyuk is a BUST
Weise is a grinder

...but it's all because of the system right?

You're the genius who thinks this is a team that should play run and gun hockey!

Brilliant!

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad